Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Discussion Topics > General Interest

#1   IP: 174.56.38.27
Old 04-12-2012, 03:45 PM

Throttle-Shift Question

Hello all. Just jumped back into the rebuild of my A4, which I have posted on Overhaul but I had a basic question regarding throttle and shift levers..... In our Cal29 we have two controls. One throttle and one gear shift. I have never been a fan of this set up, as I don't see any advantage to it, unless you have an unbalanced engine that needs to be throttled up to keep it from stalling. I enjoy when I charter other boats (always diesel) and I can use a single shift and throttle lever. My question is: how (if possible) to convert from my current controls to a single control? and....is my configuration common among the A4 owners? I haven't actually ever been on other boats with A4's other than my own so I am very curious. Thanks!

Ezra K
"Tumbleweed"
1970 Cal29
San Diego, CA
  #2   IP: 71.118.13.238
Old 04-12-2012, 05:35 PM
Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus

Thanked 1,289 Times in 839 Posts
Red face Shifter

Ezra, the A-4 is not a good candidate for a single lever control. They are available albeit a bit tough to find today. The nature of the stiff shift into the detent in forward is just to much preassure for a small short lever and smooth easy operation.
When the engine is running properly there is no need to speed it up when putting into gear.

Dave Neptune
  #3   IP: 24.224.206.117
Old 04-12-2012, 05:44 PM
Afourian MVP

hmmm.

Do you have a tiller or binnacle with wheel for steering? On most of the older Edson / wheel steering binnacles, there is a lever for throttle on one side and the gear-box shifter handle on the other. That's actually not bad for operation.
That said, just last year I saw a guy hit another boat while docking...only damage to pride. He was in tight and hit the throttle when he meant to shift...that boat was tiller steering and the controls were down on his left.

I recall there was one guy that rigged / or wanted to rig, what you are talking about on here about 6 or 8 months ago...will try and find a link to that for ya.

"Odyssey"
1976 C&C 30 MKI

The pessimist complains about the wind.
The optimist expects it to change.
The realist adjusts the sails.
...Sir William Arthur Ward.

Last edited by Mo; 04-12-2012 at 05:58 PM.
  #4   IP: 174.235.132.13
Old 04-12-2012, 05:58 PM

Thanks guys....Mine is tiller with the controls on the left as you mentioned. Highly annoying placement and a liability as noted. I have had many crew hit the throttle with their legs as they pass through the companion way, only to make my heart skip a few beats in antipation of repair at sea, which has been a reality more times than I care to remember.....I would be facinated to see how the aforementioned setup was rigged...thanks again for the info....

Ezra K
"Tumbleweed"
1970 Cal29
San Diego, CA
  #5   IP: 74.110.198.53
Old 04-12-2012, 08:31 PM
Afourian MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by systemek View Post
I have had many crew hit the throttle with their legs as they pass through the companion way, only to make my heart skip a few beats in antipation of repair at sea
Yup.

Mine is down low, on the starboard side, right in front of the companionway. Last time my wife and I were out, she bumped it two separate times, causing the engine to suddenly drop in revs each time. The first time, I went, "What the!?" and got very concerned for just a second before I quickly realized what it was. The second time, she apologized again and we both chuckled as I reached down and just nudged the throttle back up.

I chastized her about being more careful.

And then a little while later, I did it.

I've been pondering where would be a better place to move the gear shift and throttle lever, but can't come up with anything.

Relentless pursuer of lost causes
  #6   IP: 68.173.38.216
Old 04-12-2012, 11:06 PM
Afourian MVP

Engine controls

In my 1967 Tartan 27' there is only a shift lever on the stbd side of the cockpit foot well. Our throttle and choke controls are next to the ignition key and recessed into the forward wall of the foot well. The choke and throttle are not levers but push/pull buttons and can also be affected by people moving about.
I'll have to take a photo of this primitive but fairly effective set up.
Tartan 27 #328 owner born 1958
A4 and boat are from 1967
  #7   IP: 174.235.128.160
Old 04-13-2012, 12:47 AM

I would be very interested in seeing that pic. I had the choke and kill switch on the right per the PO, before I reconfigured it by giving it a greater recess. I had the same problem of crew accidently killing the engine. It was about 50/50 crew to A4 failure....equals 50 percent sunset cruises and 50 percent tool box cruises....on a mission to reduce the latter...thanks!

Ezra K
"Tumbleweed"
1970 Cal29
San Diego, CA
  #8   IP: 68.173.38.216
Old 04-15-2012, 11:47 PM
Afourian MVP

Not a perfect set up either but ...

We launched our Tartan 27' into the Hudson River today and I remembered to take a shot of our engine controls in the cockpit.
I will say that our set up is probably pretty primitive compared to many but I find it works out pretty well, even with all the feet in the cockpit.

What are the pull knobs called that attenuate our throttle and choke?

The only lever is the gear shift and all the gauges are nearby in that corner of the cockpit.

Pictures, everybody likes pictures.

What is wrong in these shots?
Attached Images

#9   IP: 174.56.38.27
Old 04-15-2012, 11:56 PM

INTERESTING. Thank you for posting these Caleb! That is a set up that I would definitely prefer over ours. On Tumbleweed, the throttle lever is smaller (not by much) and is centered over the shift lever. These pics make me very curious as to how the linkage below decks is configured to the engine. Thanks again!

your RPM is at 5OO but the engine is off?

P.s great boat

Ezra K
"Tumbleweed"
1970 Cal29
San Diego, CA

Last edited by systemek; 04-15-2012 at 11:58 PM.
  #10   IP: 24.224.206.117
Old 04-16-2012, 12:02 AM
Afourian MVP

CaledB,

That's a pretty boat. Tartan made a good boat for sure.

"Odyssey"
1976 C&C 30 MKI

The pessimist complains about the wind.
The optimist expects it to change.
The realist adjusts the sails.
...Sir William Arthur Ward.
  #11   IP: 24.152.131.155
Old 04-16-2012, 09:59 AM
Afourian MVP

Thanked 2,208 Times in 1,425 Posts
Quote:
What are the pull knobs called that attenuate our throttle and choke?
Bowden cables.
prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
Had my hands in a few others
  #12   IP: 68.173.38.216
Old 04-16-2012, 02:11 PM
Afourian MVP

No one commented on the dirt still left in my cockpit? Still so much to do.

On the T 27' the A4 sits right below where the controls are. All of the attenuating cables (choke, throttle, shift) have a short run to the controls on the engine below.

Yes, our tachometer reads about 500 rpm when the engine is off. The speedo is non-functional but the other engine gauges seem relatively trustworthy once the engine is running. Fairly primitive.

Bowden cables - thanks for that Neil.

Thanks for the compliment Mo.
  #13   IP: 173.11.96.181
Old 04-16-2012, 08:37 PM
Afourian MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalebD View Post
No one commented on the dirt still left in my cockpit?
You obviously have never seen my boat.

#14   IP: 68.173.38.216
Old 04-16-2012, 10:03 PM
Afourian MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILikeRust View Post
You obviously have never seen my boat.
I find this a bit surprising Bill. I was under the perhaps mistaken impression that you might be a bit... er, attentive to details. I know you must have great focus to have done the A4 tear down and rebuild that you did, not to mention restoring an oldish boat. I guess all of that only means that you are not afraid of a little dirt.
  #15   IP: 173.11.96.181
Old 04-16-2012, 11:35 PM
Afourian MVP

The boat as a whole still needs plenty o' work. The fact that she's a 90-minute drive away and that I have lots of other demands on my time (and budget) means that a lot of that work is yet to be done and its questionable when, if ever, it might get done.

I concentrated on the engine since it's such a critical and significant component. I figure now that that's mostly squared away, I can start working on some of the other stuff.

One of the big issues with the exterior is that it is a bit weatherbeaten. A lot of the wood on the deck, and the coaming boards, needs to be replaced. Also, the PO painted the topsides and deck, I don't know how many years ago, but I think it was probably 6 or 7 years ago, and the paint is now failing. It's going to be a huge job to sand down the old paint and re-paint. I'm not worrying about it for now.

But as far as a little dirt in the corners of the cockpit? Oh yeah. We've got that.

#16   IP: 68.173.38.216
Old 04-17-2012, 04:26 PM
Afourian MVP

Thread drift - pardon the rant

IIRC your boat (P30?) likely has similar wooden bits of exterior teak that my boat has. A pet peeve of mine is the wooden toe/cap or rub rails.
By now I have replaced much of the teak rub rails. While it may look nice and shippy when properly finished I find it to be a poor choice of material for a rub rail. The teak rub rail is prone to checking, cracking if it comes into contact with a dock or another boat (club launch). It is also expensive wood.
I would give up the looks for the utility of having a perforated rub rail like you see on many other boats. The perforations allow you to attach lines and what not to them giving you options for attaching a boom preventer.
I have even thought of using some retired fire hose as a replacement for the rub rails. It would look pretty salty and be able to take a bit of a beating.
For now though I'm stuck in the Cetol refinishing cycle with all the exterior teak I have.
Good luck with your decks. That is one job I am trying to completely ignore for now.
Attached Images

#17   IP: 173.11.96.181
Old 04-17-2012, 08:58 PM
Afourian MVP

Quote:
IIRC your boat (P30?)
Wanderer. 30 feet, but earlier than the P30.

Quote:
likely has similar wooden bits of exterior teak that my boat has.
Teak coaming boards, winch pads, grab rails, companionway boards and surrounding trim, sea hood and toe rails. The PO of my boat replaced the old weatherbeaten and leaking toe rails with new, custom-milled Honduras mahogany ones. They look nice, but the varnish is now starting to fail so there's another job for me - I need to strip and sand, and then hit them with Cetol.

The rest of the wood on the deck is all pretty weatherbeaten - the PO obviously had sanded it all and varnished it, but what he was starting with was neglected and seriously weatherbeaten, so really at this point, it all needs to be replaced.

Quote:
A pet peeve of mine is the wooden toe/cap or rub rails.
I have wooden toe rails, but the rub strips on the sides are semi-oval stainless steel strips screwed along the hull/deck joint or thereabouts.

Quote:
I would give up the looks for the utility of having a perforated rub rail like you see on many other boats.
I can't say as I would - I've seen those and I just really don't like the looks as much as the mahogany toe rail I now have.

Quote:
Good luck with your decks. That is one job I am trying to completely ignore for now.
Me too. Although the deck looks like hell and there are still a few leaks here and there...