• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • stefan
    Frequent Contributor
    • Nov 2005

grinding/ rythmitic sound

The atomic in the Islander MK 30 that i recently purchased I just got running. Besides an exhaust issue, there is a grinding like sound as she runs. She starts right up and kills tight, but the sound is rather loud. She also sat opened up for awhile (head was off when I got her).
    Any ideas.......
  • Don Moyer
    • Oct 2004

Stefan,

Can you make the grinding sound change when you move the shifting lever fore and aft?

Don

Comment

• stefan
      Frequent Contributor
      • Nov 2005

no

please provide an idea if it does not make such a sound. I won't be on her till christmas to check it out.
      Look for a reply then eh
      Mahalo
      Last edited by stefan; 11-27-2005, 08:35 PM. Reason: not sure

Comment

• Don Moyer
        • Oct 2004

I now understand that the grinding sound occurs while the engine is in neutral (in between gears). If the noise becomes much less as you move the shifting lever into the forward range, the noise is most likely a pilot bearing and/or noisy pinion gears in the reversing gear assembly. These items usually wear when someone spends a lot of time in neutral (like charging batteries for hours at a time), but I've never actually seen a reversing gear fail for this reason.

I'm not sure what your father means by a push rod, but the Atomic 4 does not have push rods like those found in overhead valve engines.

Don

Comment

• stefan
          Frequent Contributor
          • Nov 2005

new idea

Thanx a heap for your responce Don.
          My pop and I talked and as we brainstorm we are thinking that it's a timing gear. Makes alot of noise, metal to metal sounding grind....etc.
          What are you thoughts... And what is the cost of parts and procedure to replace? The rod idea was my mistake, duh.
          Thanx, appreciate it...

Comment

• Don Moyer
            • Oct 2004

Stefan,

By timing gear, I assume you mean the gear on the camshaft (being turned by a small gear on the aft end of the crankshaft). There's always a first time for everything, but the Atomic 4 has virtually no history of these gears wearing out and making a grinding sound.

Don

Comment

Working...
            X