Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Discussion Topics > General Maintenance

#1   IP: 69.250.214.118
Old 10-09-2007, 09:15 PM

Question Oil Capacity Question

OK here is my question (after some background). I have just recently purchased a 1976 Catalina 30 with an A4. The boat sat on the hard for 3 years according to the yard manager before I rescued it. At some point during that time the boat filled with enough rain to cover the motor. I did everything to the motor that can be done to bring it back to life short of pulling the head and/or the entire motor from the boat, including rebuilding the mechanical fuel pump, rebuilding the carb, replaced the water pump, replaced the thermostat, replaced the coil, switched to electronic ignition, rebuilt the starter solenoid, added direct reading temp and oil pressure guages, and even added the PCV kit from Indigo (all other parts from Moyer). I also pumped over 2 gallons of sludgey oil from the pan. My question is after draining the oil pan below the point of getting any oil on the dipstick, it only takes 2 quarts to bring the oil back to the full mark. The motor runs great, and seems to behave as it should with a cruising RPM oil pressure of 40 and temp of 160, but is there so much stuff in the oil pan that it only now holds 2 quarts of oil? Any thoughts? Should I have pulled the motor to begin with and/or do I need to do it now to clean out the oil pan? Any help or thoughts would be appreciated.

Jim
  #2   IP: 89.251.61.34
Old 10-10-2007, 03:58 AM
Afourian MVP

Hello Jim,

A quick search of this site with "oil capacity" revealed this comment from Don Moyer:

Quote:
On a level bench, it will take approximately 5 - 1/2 quarts to fill an Atomic 4 after an overhaul. Tilted at an angle approximating a normal installation on a sail boat, an engine will only take from 4 to 4 - 1/2 quarts to bring the level to the full mark.

When changing oil, it is common to only be able to remove 3 quarts due to the fact that a quart or more is trapped within the pressurized oil channels and the reversing gear.

Bottom line, on a late model engine always maintain the oil level to the full mark, and on an early model engine maintain the oil level to the uppermost mark on the dip stick.
As for my advice: install the oil changing kit from Moyer Marine- the custom tube extending deeper into the oil pan will allow you to remove the maximum amount of oil while accessing the reservoir from the original oil pan drain plug.

Hope this helps.

Kelly

Last edited by Kelly; 10-10-2007 at 04:00 AM. Reason: more text
  #3   IP: 69.250.214.118
Old 10-10-2007, 04:37 AM

Thanks Kelly! I had seen that post from Don and I will install the oil change kit, it definitely looks like a good idea. I have also not had the cover off of the transmission yet so I thought I would pull it and check in there also. Maybe I dont have as big a problem as I thought.

Thanks again,
Jim
  #4   IP: 64.229.168.232
Old 10-14-2007, 09:57 PM
Frequent Contributor

Location: Lake Ontario, North Shore, sailing out of FBYC, near Toronto.
Changing Oil

Hello Jim,
The A4 in my boat sits at quite an angle and it is difficult to remove all of the old oil when doing an oil change. When I change the oil in my A4, I first remove the transmission cover and get the pipe from the pump to the lowest spot in the transmission housing. I can only pump out about 2 or 3 quarts of old oil, so there is a 'slug' of old oil remaining in the engine. Before the pump starts sucking air, I slowly pour new oil into the engine and keep pumping out the old oil until it starts running clean. I can get about 1 to 1 1/2 quarts more of the old oil out of the engine this way, so I know that most of the oil has been changed. This is bourne out by the dipstick, which now shows clean oil, when before it would never be as clean as it should be. Try it.
The Following User Says Thank You to N29sailor For This Useful Post:
Bobber (10-20-2020)