• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JackConnick
    • Nov 2004

Leaking carb

Don et al;

Finally got out for a short 5 day cruise this last weekend in the Canadian Gulf Islands. Had a few minor engine issues, leaking raw water filter where I hadn't quite tightened it enough and a small oil leak from the bracket of the electric fuel pump or valve cover gasket.

But what really was a problem was that I woke up smelling gas and discovered gas leaking out the throat of my carb in a steady drip. This is a fairly new carb about 2 years old. After attempting a quick fix of spraying some cleaner in and running it, it seemed dry again. But after an hour, gas continued to drip. So (in 90+ heat, with a 25kt blow outside while anchored), I pulled the carb off and took it apart to discover the main fuel jet pin sticking in the upwards position (not sure of my nomenclature here...). That is the fair-sized fuel jet operated by the float valve with the rubber tip. It had some glaze on it, and a through cleaning of everything and reassembly had the engine running great. I will be more careful to do a good carb cleaning once a season.

However, I'm wondering how the valve sticking in the up position, which I believe is closed, would allow fuel to flow? Obviously I was lucky to be onboard when it happened. I do leave the boat for long periods as it is 2 hrs away for me to drive to.

So I'd just like a clear understanding of what failed...??

Thanks,
    Jack
  • Don Moyer
    • Oct 2004

Jack,

I'm attaching a pdf file of a recent Q & A we prepared on the subject of leaky float valves.

Don
    Attached Files

Comment

• Unregistered

#3 Unapproved
      Thanks, Don. Great info as always. Printing this out for inclusion in my MM manual.

Cheers,
      Jack

Comment

Working...
      X