Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Discussion Topics > Troubleshooting

#26   IP: 76.7.156.22
Old 10-15-2012, 01:48 AM
Afourian MVP

I believe this is the thread Mo is referring to, http://www.moyermarine.com/forums/sh...light=resistor
Dan S/V Marian Claire
  #27   IP: 8.19.13.19
Old 10-15-2012, 12:16 PM
Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus

Job#1: Be sure you have the correct coil with the correct amount of resistance for your EI as previously suggested.

Job #2: Are you getting power to the coil when the engine is in the shutdown mode? Check with a volt meter when shut down to be sure. There could be a wiring or switch problem you haven't found yet. On your boat is the coil wired in series or parallel with the OPSS? Normally the OPSS is wired in series with the coil with the coil first. As Hanley suggested maybe someone bypassed the OPSS because it wasn't working. This may be a "red herring" but it is easy to check.

TRUE GRIT
  #28   IP: 72.80.196.55
Old 10-15-2012, 12:40 PM

if you find you still have the same problem after looking at the electrics: you may want to look again at fuel system
I went thru similar for a few years until i disassembled the entire fuel system. 1st it turned out to be a clogged fuel line from the tank. Then it was the sediment in the tank.
agree with Hanley's post: if your fuel pump starts when the ignition key is turned - you have a wiring issue. My boat did the same thing when i first purchased her. It was a modification made from mech to electric fuel pump "back in the day".... on City Island.
Wanntanabee.... we are likely be local to eachother.
  #29   IP: 99.63.216.154
Old 10-15-2012, 01:25 PM

Close Reach

I have had this coil issue and the way I first detected it after the engine began stalling out was to simply check the temperature of the coil by placing my hand on it. Be careful because if its the coil issue we are all talking about it will be pretty hot, but you should be able to carefully check its temp by touching it. In my case the coil was really hot and they only way I could get the engine to run again was to put ice on it. Not conventional but it worked until I could get a new coil. I would not have even thought of the coil if it hadn't been for this forum. Luckily I had still had the original coil and that seems to work fine.

Good Luck

dvd

Tags
compression, ignition