X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jim Booth
    • Jan 2005

What shift/throttle control?

As some of you might remember, I bought a Chinese clone of my Morse control because the shift lever would slip on the shaft making it impossible to have a reliable control. When I first hunted for a replacement I found it listed at around $550. Now I see it for significantly less (but still $$$), although it doesn't look exactly like my old control with threaded rod and round knobs for handles. This looks more like the Chinese clone I tried.

I'm wondering what control you have in your boats (side cockpit mounted). Is there any lower cost alternative that's still strong enough to handle the shifting force of the A4? The Chinese clone isn't, plus the innards have corroded in two seasons even in fresh water. I'm thinking it might be better to make one with stainless mechanical tubing, but that would be a big project too.

Thanks,
    Jim
  • tenders
    Afourian MVP
    • May 2007

Years ago I purchased a replacement set like this from a pile of surplus from Minney's.
    Minney's Yacht Surplus is home to the largest selection of new and used boat gear on the West coast. We buy, sell, and trade 7 days a week at our location in Costa Mesa, CA.

I didn't know what I was doing; it wasn't the right size; I sold it on eBay a few years ago for a slight profit (non-inflation-adjusted).

Might they have a new or used replacement for you?

Comment

• Jim Booth
      • Jan 2005

Thanks,
      I wrote to Minney's and they said they don't have any controls at this time. I got lucky on ebay though and found an original from a Columbia 30.

Jim

Comment

Working...
      X