Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Discussion Topics > Electrical

#1   IP: 66.245.133.133
Old 09-24-2007, 12:17 PM

Question Does the ABYC Standard Wire Exist?

I am preparing to rewire the electrical connections related to my A4. Ancor's website does not show the Tan #14, Yellow w/red stripe #12, or Orange #8 AWG wire specified for the up to 20' runs shown in the most helpful "General Distribution of Engine DC Power" pdf available from Don at <DCpowerschemweb.pdf>.

Yellow/red #14 and Orange #10 are available. Since I have very short under 5' runs, are these smaller gauges OK for Ignition "ST" to Solenoid "S" (Yellow/Red) and from Ignition "BATT" to "Output" of alternator (Orange)?

Also, does anyone sell #14 Yellow/red by the foot? It is available only in 100 foot reels. Is there any Tan at all? Does anyone else besides Ancor make the appropriate wire?

It is odd that the what is apparently the only US company that makes the wire is both involved in the formulation of the ABYC standards, and does not make the wire required by the standard!

Am I missing something here?
  #2   IP: 38.118.52.41
Old 09-24-2007, 08:51 PM

Hotflash,

Given your relatively short distances, the wire gauges you mention should be OK for the charging and starter circuits.

I don't know that you're missing anything, but perhaps we are, in not selling individual wire by the foot. The problem for our warehouse is the very labor intensive processes of measuring out a few feet of wire from among a dozen different choices, getting it right each and every time - and all at a competitive price.

Don
  #3   IP: 66.245.133.133
Old 09-27-2007, 01:13 PM

Reply from Ancor

Thanks, Don. I also asked Ancor about not making the wire. Here is their reply unedited:

"That's a good questions Mary. Ancor used to carry those wire colors but because so many people ignored the ABYC standards as well as boat builders the sales were extremely slow. We tried to maintain the stock but with sales being so low we eventually had to discontinue those products.

A simple solution to your problem would be to use yellow wire for the ignition circuit and put tags on the wire ends denoting what the wire is for. And for the 14 AWG Tan you can use brown with tags as well and likewise the #8 AWG Orange. Ancor does provide wire tagging material that
can be written on prior to shrinking it around cable. This is called "White Write-On Identification Tubing and is Ancor Part Number 300145. This is a shrink style tube but allows you to write the wire purpose on it and then slip it over the conductor and shrink it down. The writing remains very
legible once shrunk around the wire.

Having just done a complete re-wire on my sail boat I had to use this tubing on a number of circuits for the same reasons. But it does look nice when you have the wire labels right at each terminal and or switch panel.

Best regards,
Dan Eddy
Product Manager
Ancor Products"