X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Boat
    • Aug 2014

adjustment nut

going to tighten my reverse nut. my reverse has gone from just ok to absolutely rediculous non existant. which way to tighten? looking afrom the back of the motor the nut is in the upper left top. i want to turn clockwise?? just want to check before i do it
    '69 Newport 30 MKI Hull #20
  • roadnsky
    Afourian MVP
    • Dec 2008

Procedure is explained in the attached doc...

These and other interesting documents can be found HERE
    Attached Files
    Last edited by roadnsky; 08-11-2019, 10:16 PM.
    -Jerry

'Lone Ranger'
    sigpic
    1978 RANGER 30

Comment

• Boat
      • Aug 2014

Thanks, That is exactly the file i needed. i had it saved somewhere but brain farted and cpuldnt find where i put it

Comment

• Dave Neptune
        Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
        • Jan 2007

Boat, just to be sure are you aware that the A-4 direct drive has no means to hold the trans in reverse other than your hand pressure and/or cable friction. Many have thought they needed an adjustment and it was just the cables "freeing" up.

Just thought I'd through this out there to be sure.

Dave Neptune

Comment

• Al Schober
          Afourian MVP
          • Jul 2009

I'm suspicious of the sudden change (loss of reverse). That cross shaft for adjusting reverse has a nut on the manifold side which is the adjustment. The other end (distributor side) has a roller that engages the cam. Make sure that roller is still there before you go any further.

Comment

• Boat
            • Aug 2014

thanks for the replies, i have had the boat for 6 years. the reverse has always been not the best. i have always had to hold the handle so it is not a new thing. it just seems to me that it is getting less and less over the months. it doesnt help that i did a cruise for a few weeks on a friends beat that was equipped with a max prop. but it got me thinking that maybe it is wearing and doesnt have as much grip anymore. i have never had to adjust it before, and i read that it is uncommon to have to. but the motor has 716 hrs on it. is that alot?

Comment

• Sam
              Afourian MVP
              • Apr 2010

700+ hrs on 1969 A4 is not a lot, it is an envious amount as long as it has been regularly maintained per manual.

Comment

• Boat
                • Aug 2014

i love this little motor, i believe in three rules for a good running motor, maintain, maintain, maintain. little thing runs like a swiss watch

Comment

Working...
                X