Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Discussion Topics > Good Guys

#1   IP: 96.50.78.119
Old 08-10-2014, 03:21 PM
Frequent Contributor

Looking for a good mechanic in Victoria BC

Can anyone direct me to a mechanic with A4 experience in the Victoria BC area. I need someone mobile, trustworthy and experienced.

Engine has just over 1000 hours but had a valve issue and has been sitting since. I need someone to figure out if it's worth fixing and hopefully fix it.

Thanks
  #2   IP: 24.64.70.115
Old 08-10-2014, 11:31 PM
Afourian MVP

Gartside Marine on Harbour road in Sidney. Can't vouch for them personally but I know they have rebuilt A4's and marine engines are their business. You should try giving the guys here more information and perhaps they can help you before you have to part with $$$$.
  #3   IP: 24.64.70.115
Old 08-10-2014, 11:40 PM
Afourian MVP

Had another thought. If your engine has only 1000 hrs on it, it will be worth fixing. If you ask the mechanic if it's worth fixing he might like to convince you that he has just the diesel replacement for you. Whatever the problem it shouldn't be hard to resolve. Keep us posted.
  #4   IP: 96.50.78.119
Old 08-11-2014, 01:21 AM
Frequent Contributor

Thanks Easyrider. I haven't talked to those guys. I'm under the impression they might be in the replace with a diesel camp as you suggested. Either that or they want to cut the transom and mount an outboard. I don't know for sure. Don't take my word. I'll talk to them and find out.

It's not my boat. The current owner has had some health problems and can't really deal with the engine. Everyone he has talked to suggests the outboard or diesel refit without wanting to service the A4, and he is really just ready to shed that problem I think.

It's a nicely kept older boat that I might like to own. Before I decide to have the bones surveyed I want to know what it will take to get that motor running. It's been sitting a few years and I figure its got a couple valves stuck open with poor access or something. But don't really know. He said it starts but lack HP. Based on the hours, the look of it and the rest of the boat I think it has value in fixing. If it happens to be shot, I'll price up a rebuilt one and see if that would work financially. But I need to know with reasonable confidence what it will need and how much it will cost before making an offer. And if I do buy it I'll want it running asap. There is probably zero chance I'll refit to outboard or diesel.

So I'm looking for someone with some experience that can come down and get her running if that is possible.
  #5   IP: 24.224.155.146
Old 08-11-2014, 05:52 AM
Afourian MVP

Smile "call a friend".

I have a good buddy there at the Canadian Forces club CFSA. He is a member of this forum as well. I'll send him a message on Facebook and ask him to have a look at your post here and see what he can do.

"Odyssey"
1976 C&C 30 MKI

The pessimist complains about the wind.
The optimist expects it to change.
The realist adjusts the sails.
...Sir William Arthur Ward.
  #6   IP: 142.136.107.234
Old 08-11-2014, 08:36 AM
Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus

Thanked 1,289 Times in 839 Posts
Lenzcap, I bought a boat with a seized A-4 in 1983. She was stuck big time and had a burnt valve from sticking. Now know this I have worked for most of my life as a mechanic on engines and machinery so to me it was no biggie. The boat was sold to me less what it would cost to do a diesel at that time.

It took me 4 days to get the engine spinning, apart and back together so I could get her moved down the California coast to her ne home. I had 2 weeks to do it. A month after arriving I was so impressed with how quiet and smooth the A-4 was so I built an electronic ignition I adapted from some Rotary performance engines I had been working on.

That same engine is still running, a bit weak with well over 4,000 hours that I put on her along with the previous 13 years with the 2 PO's.

I no longer have the money set aside for the diesel as I enjoyed it's cost in liquid bread and rum.

Dave Neptune
  #7   IP: 206.125.176.3
Old 08-11-2014, 09:43 AM
Afourian MVP

Mmmmm...liquid bread!

lenzcap, welcome..we'll do our best to help you get things going. Sounds like a compression test is the first order of business to determine what each cylinder is doing.

Time to jump in with both feet..if you may own this boat, you might as well start learning how to work on the motor & save the $$
"Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
"Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
http://www.moyermarine.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic3231_6.gif
  #8   IP: 24.224.155.146
Old 08-11-2014, 10:08 AM
Afourian MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Neptune View Post
Lenzcap, I bought a boat with a seized A-4 in 1983. She was stuck big time and had a burnt valve from sticking. Now know this I have worked for most of my life as a mechanic on engines and machinery so to me it was no biggie. The boat was sold to me less what it would cost to do a diesel at that time.

It took me 4 days to get the engine spinning, apart and back together so I could get her moved down the California coast to her ne home. I had 2 weeks to do it. A month after arriving I was so impressed with how quiet and smooth the A-4 was so I built an electronic ignition I adapted from some Rotary performance engines I had been working on.

That same engine is still running, a bit weak with well over 4,000 hours that I put on her along with the previous 13 years with the 2 PO's.

I no longer have the money set aside for the diesel as I enjoyed it's cost in liquid bread and rum.

Dave Neptune
Dave,
In the past year I have people drop off rum; beer etc for helping them. I agree, there's not much to go wrong or hard to fix as long as some effort was made to maintain these engines.

All the steel in my rebuild on the trailer came free because I helped a guy...didn't know he owned a steel supply company...you just never know!!
Pics below are from my buddy Terry. He's a physician and was busy this spring. Myself and George launched his boat and rigged it for him. Now, Terry hangs around with us at the club when he's not on call or duty...this was found on the seat of my truck when I got back from Friday's sail. I'm having a hard time keeping up but putting in a good effort ... LOL

Be nice to see someone step up and help the guy out there. I'm sure Dana will know of someone. I think Dana must be on a cruise because I usually hear from him every day or so on Facebook.
Attached Images

"Odyssey"
1976 C&C 30 MKI

Last edited by Mo; 08-11-2014 at 10:10 AM.
  #9   IP: 71.118.13.238
Old 08-11-2014, 05:07 PM
Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus

Thanked 1,289 Times in 839 Posts
Wink Nice

Mo, oooh so nice! Wish I was closer as I could help you lower the bottles center of gravity a bit so they'll stand in the bar when it gets rough.

I have found more than a few packages left for myself over the years. Most in the club will provide me with parts or I get them mostly for outboards on dinghies. My general rate is a bottle of "Yukon Jack" a personal favorite, rum, scotch or a case of good ale. It is what others say that gets me the goodies of which I really appreciate as I won't charge a friend for "fun labor".

The best part is that if I need something, my friends usually have a connection somewhere.

Life is good if you treat the people in your life well, it will not only benefit them it will benefit you too!!!

Dave Neptune
  #10   IP: 96.50.78.119
Old 08-11-2014, 09:22 PM
Frequent Contributor

Thanks again guys. Helpful group. Really appreciate it all.

I don't want people to forget though, I've been looking to hire someone. I'm not looking for a favour for a box of beer type thing. That might dissuade someone from stepping in.

If I were to buy the boat and had some thing to reciprocate down the road then I might work on that premise occasionally. But for now I just want a good mechanic.
  #11   IP: 71.178.98.239
Old 08-11-2014, 09:39 PM
Afourian MVP

lenzcap, if you are looking to potentially buy this boat, why do you want to hire a mechanic? In my opinion, the best way to personally decide if this boat is for you is to learn as much about it as possible...paying a mechanic by the hour is not the way to do so. Again, just my opinion. When I bought my boat, I got it to the boat yard for the winter, in November, in a blow, because I was unsure of the parts I could not see underneath..I knew the parts I could see needed a lot of work. I learned later, that I wondered how the boat made it as I tore engine things apart. It was in my mind the only way to figure it out.

No one's ever left a case of beer on my boat. I bought it cheap, and I have had several friends assist me, but I started restoring my boat because I wanted to do so and thought it was worth the effort, not because a by-the-hour-mechanic said it was a good deal.
"Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)

Last edited by sastanley; 08-11-2014 at 09:48 PM.
  #12   IP: 24.152.131.153
Old 08-11-2014, 10:09 PM
Afourian MVP

Thanked 2,208 Times in 1,425 Posts
I think the unspoken truth in this thread is the vast majority of marine mechanics are charlatans. Not all of them of course but it's exceedingly rare to find a good, honest one, rarer yet to find one even willing to work on an Atomic 4.

My observation:
If you're relying on a professional mechanic's services regarding the purchase and ownership of this vintage boat, it will quickly add up to an expensive pastime. There's no way I'd own my boat if I were paying someone to work on it.

Example:
What's an oil change worth for an Atomic 4? One very reputable SoCal marine engine business charges $500.
prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
Had my hands in a few others

Last edited by ndutton; 08-11-2014 at 10:20 PM.
  #13   IP: 24.224.155.146
Old 08-11-2014, 10:17 PM
Afourian MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndutton View Post
I think the unspoken truth in this thread is the vast majority of marine mechanics are charlatans. Not all of them of course but it's exceedingly rare to find a good, honest one, rarer yet to find one even willing to work on an Atomic 4.

My observation:
If you're relying on a professional mechanic's services regarding the purchase and ownership of this vintage boat, it will quickly add up to an expensive pastime. There's no way I'd own my boat if I were paying someone to work on it.
True story Neil...have to be handy in every respect.

"Odyssey"
1976 C&C 30 MKI

#14   IP: 71.178.98.239
Old 08-11-2014, 10:46 PM
Afourian MVP

$500? Are you serious?
I keep my boat at a private residence here on the East Coast..the closest marina is ~15 minutes away...they'd probably charge me travel time as well!

Lenzcap..we are only trying to help you decide if you are willing to put in the effort to learn this stuff..you'll go broke paying someone to do the work for you.
  #15   IP: 24.152.131.153
Old 08-11-2014, 10:47 PM
Afourian MVP

Thanked 2,208 Times in 1,425 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sastanley View Post
$500? Are you serious?
Dead serious.
prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
Had my hands in a few others
  #16   IP: 216.115.121.240
Old 08-11-2014, 11:08 PM
Afourian MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenzcap View Post
….He said it starts but lack HP…...

This is the telling statement. If it starts and runs without too much smoke, then the rest is just deferred maintenance. yes it will be a bit of tlc, but a re-power is a complete modification sometimes.

Perhaps a reputable surveyor can help assess it.

If you are will to hire yourself as expeditor, then this forum can get the right info in your hands.
The gang here boasts a great expertise from long-term maintenance to helping design new accessories for the A-4.
Got any photos?

Welcome

Russ

"Since when is napping doing nothing?"
  #17   IP: 96.50.78.119
Old 08-12-2014, 01:54 AM
Frequent Contributor

If I buy the boat I'll get to know the engine before going anywhere.

The boat's for sale on the dock and I believe we can work out a fine deal. If a mechanic could get the engine going and confirm my opinion that's it's got life. I'm not gonna sit around in someones boat with my laptop ripping his engine apart when he's trying to sell his boat. "Wait man, one more day please, I almost have the head off, wait, what, what's this thing do (type type type)"

He'll do the experienced mechanic thing. It's reasonable.

I definitely won't be buying it, taking it to the yard in a blow in November and ripping it apart to see if there's sht below the crap. But that's just me. I don't ever buy the dollar grab bags at the corner store either. You're most likely to get 55 cents worth of stale candies.

Or a little rubber dinosaur or something. I hate that!
  #18   IP: 24.224.155.146
Old 08-12-2014, 07:40 AM
Afourian MVP

Lenzcap,
Why don't you take a digital camera and take a few pics of the boat. I think I could tell you what type she is and know the attributes and things to watch for with many. I've been playing with boats as a hobby for about 15 years now and pretty much retired these days...no one tells me where to be anymore. Was a physician assistant and paramedic for 30 yrs but always was in the garage puttering (since about 15 yrs old) or sailing (past 15) when not working.

Get some pics of:
- the engine:
- the exhaust portion coming off the engine.
- decks and where the
- interior
- electrical panels

If the boat hasn't been used for a while that puts it in a less favorable venue for resale. "I haven't used it much" generally means everything will need tending to in the marine environment. Find out how long it's been in the water and if it comes out every year as well. Find out the year and make if possible but I can guess pretty much from a pic the year...most boats had subtle changes as the design evolved.

You can send me a private email with this if you feel more comfortable and I won't mind telling you what I think.

"Odyssey"
1976 C&C 30 MKI

#19   IP: 209.121.225.209
Old 08-15-2014, 10:42 PM
Frequent Contributor

I know what kind of boat it is. I don't know what is being read into this. I just needed a mechanic. Thanks for all the help guys. Still no mechanic. I'm pulling out.

It's an old Cal29. The seller has had health problem. He's the second owner and pride of ownership is evident. The rest of the boat's immaculate but he can't find anyone willing to look at the engine. Either can I. I'm out. If anyone wants a deal and knows the a4 it's in Oak Bay. Or pm me and I'll put you in touch with the seller. Might already be gone though. Not sure.

Thanks again
  #20   IP: 24.224.155.146
Old 08-16-2014, 06:33 AM
Afourian MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenzcap View Post
I know what kind of boat it is. I don't know what is being read into this. I just needed a mechanic. Thanks for all the help guys. Still no mechanic. I'm pulling out.

It's an old Cal29. The seller has had health problem. He's the second owner and pride of ownership is evident. The rest of the boat's immaculate but he can't find anyone willing to look at the engine. Either can I. I'm out. If anyone wants a deal and knows the a4 it's in Oak Bay. Or pm me and I'll put you in touch with the seller. Might already be gone though. Not sure.

Thanks again
You know what, if the boat is in decent shape you might want to reconsider. Valve issues generally require removing the head, purchase two head gaskets, remove, clean and reseat valves...any guy that works on motorcycles etc would know exactly what to do with it. You need someone who can tinker. Try an add on kijiji and see what you come up with. You never know who's worked on these.

"Odyssey"
1976 C&C 30 MKI

#21   IP: 24.108.81.179
Old 08-16-2014, 01:30 PM

A-4 Mechanic near Victoria BC

Lenzcap,
You're an hour from Canada's best Atomic 4 mechanic. (Sorry Mo, you're second best.)
Robert Hess lives in Nanaimo and for twenty years he owned Atomic 4 Engine Service in Delta BC. He now works at Nanaimo Yacht Services, 250-716-9065. If Robert Hess can't fix it, then it can't be fixed.
Cheers,
Dana, S/V Kiskadee, CFSA Esquimalt
  #22   IP: 66.183.219.39
Old 08-16-2014, 02:00 PM

Hess

Second that....he is a legend. Thought he was retired when he left Delta: very glad to know where to find him.

#23   IP: 24.108.64.169
Old 08-16-2014, 03:39 PM
Afourian MVP

Unhappy

Robert Hess was, or is one of the best. The last I heard he had packed it at his Delta location and moved to Toronto and was working for one of the diesel guys.