Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Discussion Topics > Troubleshooting

#51   IP: 107.0.6.242
Old 07-27-2015, 07:33 PM
Afourian MVP

Question

Looking at your engine where the hot section connects to the manifold I think I see something that looks like aluminum foil. Is that correct?
  #52   IP: 107.0.6.242
Old 07-27-2015, 08:17 PM
Afourian MVP

Talking

If you are having trouble with clogging in your new carb, possibly you suggest, the main jet, we should ask if you have a good filter/separator and a final "polishing" filter for the fuel. The best way to clean a main jet, or for that matter all the carb body passages and jets, is with ether or carb cleaner aerosol with the thin tube attached. The main jet should be removed and held up to light to see if it is plugged. I have jewelers drill bits to clean them but any fine wire will do. The job is best finished with compressed air. Be careful not to lose the main jet washer and reinstall just over hand tight.
  #53   IP: 205.197.242.179
Old 07-27-2015, 08:55 PM

Looking at your engine where the hot section connects to the manifold I think I see something that looks like aluminum foil. Is that correct?

YES. It is correct. Actually the whole hot section looks like aluminum foil. I think it is some kind of thermoformed heat wrap.

Cleaning the carb: Thanks for the ether advice. I'll try that and also use my air compressor. Can a carb just "go wrong"?
The carb A (turns on in a heart beat, steady and nice sound, but no throttle when in gear) has a very clean main jet and is actually pretty clean everywhere. Anybody has any idea what can cause that/ what to check?
  #54   IP: 71.118.13.238
Old 07-27-2015, 09:14 PM
Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus

Thanked 1,289 Times in 839 Posts
d, look to the seal on the discharge tube and be sure it is clean. That is the brass tube that protrudes into the venturi.

Another check is to look at the old gasket closely. Where you want to look is in the area over the center of the bowl. This is the emulsion well and the top is sealed by the GASKET so look and confirm that you have good contact all the way around IE a bit of indentation.

Either of the above can really raise havoc by leaning where there is more demand, thus the lack of performance.

Dave Neptune
  #55   IP: 107.0.6.242
Old 07-27-2015, 09:19 PM
Afourian MVP

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by damienk View Post

YES. It is correct. Actually the whole hot section looks like aluminum foil. I think it is some kind of thermoformed heat wrap.

Cleaning the carb: Thanks for the ether advice. I'll try that and also use my air compressor. Can a carb just "go wrong"?
The carb A (turns on in a heart beat, steady and nice sound, but no throttle when in gear) has a very clean main jet and is actually pretty clean everywhere. Anybody has any idea what can cause that/ what to check?
"Thermoformed heat wrap"? I am not familiar with that product. Could it be the source of the smoke?
  #56   IP: 68.111.9.124
Old 07-28-2015, 01:14 AM

Quote:
I
So, anybody knows what to look inside the carb for to solve this throttle problem? I think that with the new one, it is the main jet that is clogged. But with the old one, I don't understand this issue. How is this even possible? I have them both soaking in vinegar right now and hopefully
Thanks to all for being so knowledgeable and supporting!
When you twist the main jet to remove or install it it's easy to damage the threads in the soft aluminum with the screw driver. The next time you try to twist the main jet in you think it is seated but it is not really seated because all you've done is tightened the jet against the damaged threads.

TRUE GRIT

BTW: Do you have an exploded parts diagram for the carburetor?
  #57   IP: 107.0.6.242
Old 07-28-2015, 08:24 AM
Afourian MVP

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHN COOKSON View Post
When you twist the main jet to remove or install it it's easy to damage the threads in the soft aluminum with the screw driver. The next time you try to twist the main jet in you think it is seated but it is not really seated because all you've done is tightened the jet against the damaged threads.

TRUE GRIT

For this purpose I have dedicated screwdrivers from which the shank taper has been straightened on a bench grinder.
  #58   IP: 72.185.251.137
Old 07-28-2015, 11:12 AM

Quote:
No I don't, but I've been quite careful. All the parts go in and out smoothly, it doesn't feel like I damaged the thread.

Quote:
d, look to the seal on the discharge tube and be sure it is clean. That is the brass tube that protrudes into the venturi.
If you are talking about the very small diameter flexible brass tube going from the bottom of the carb to the manifold, yes the are clean (and I just cleaned them again with carb cleaner+air compressor.

Quote:
"Thermoformed heat wrap"? I am not familiar with that product. Could it be the source of the smoke?
Well neither am I (familiar with this product). I am just describing it to the best of my abilities, which isn't much. It looks like aluminum foil and it looks kind of "loose" or at least "flexible" but it isn't: it is as hard as rock. Which is why I supposed it was installed when it was flexible and then it became hard and matched the shape of the pipe/fittings under (so, possibly thermoformed?). But I know nothing. Just describing what I see and touched (and what you can see in the pics I uploaded).

I just finished rebuilding both carbs. The "new" one had a part quite clogged (the long skinny needle-looking brass part that is inside the carb, and has a a few holes in it). I hope this was the reason why it wasn't starting at all with this carb.
The "old" carb looked in perfect shape. So why is this one starting but not giving me throttle when in gear, that is a complete mystery.

On my way to the boat right now, will try both, and see if I still have the smoke from the exhaust.
  #59   IP: 71.118.13.238
Old 07-28-2015, 11:24 AM

d, no you are describing the "scavenge tube". The "discharge tube" is threaded into the throat and feeds from the "emulsion well". It is the "tube" that the 'air/fuel" is discharged into the "venturi (the round piece in the throat)" for proper mixing for the intake.

Jerry or someone have an exploded carb pic to post?

Dave Neptune
  #60   IP: 216.4.56.164
Old 07-28-2015, 12:47 PM

Dave I am still confused about the discharge tube. If you have a pic of the tube that would help. I took this carb apart a million times so I know the look of the parts even if I don't know their name or function.

I just tried both carbs after cleaning. It started in both. With both, I have good throttle at idle and in reverse. NO throttle AT ALL (cannot go past 1000rpm) in forward. whenever I am in forward, it is like the throttle shift is simply not there.

Of course, very strange that it happens with both carburetors, but I had the exact same problem years ago (with the carburetor I have now) and fixed it by switching to another carb (that I gave to someone in need, I now deeply regret it). So experience tells me it is the carb, but what in the world can cause that? I am almost ready to buy a new carb, but if it doesn't fix the issue I will probably cry.

Also, no smoke so far. I will try the engine on a little longer to check smoke and temp.
  #61   IP: 161.213.49.150
Old 07-28-2015, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Well neither am I (familiar with this product). I am just describing it to the best of my abilities, which isn't much. It looks like aluminum foil and it looks kind of "loose" or at least "flexible" but it isn't: it is as hard as rock. Which is why I supposed it was installed when it was flexible and then it became hard and matched the shape of the pipe/fittings under (so, possibly thermoformed?). But I know nothing. Just describing what I see and touched (and what you can see in the pics I uploaded).
Looks like dryer vent tubing 2 me.
The repair should be straight forward. Rip it out and fix whatever is leaking.

TRUE GRIT
  #62   IP: 71.118.13.238
Old 07-28-2015, 01:29 PM

d, have you tried revving with reverse fully engaged, IE holding it in position while opening the throttle? Did it rev higher in reverse?

Have you visually checked to see that your throttle linkage does open the carb in forward?

If it is not linkage and the same with two carbs I'd check the fuel pressure, anywhere from 2~4.5 PSI is acceptable.

Can yuou describe how it sounds when throttling up in forward? Does it sputter, stumble or just make more noise and not rev up.

Don has some pics in his "Tech tips" I believe.

Have you moved or tinkered with anything else?

Dave Neptune
  #63   IP: 24.234.58.67
Old 07-28-2015, 01:40 PM
Afourian MVP

Quote:
I just finished rebuilding both carbs. The "new" one had a part quite clogged (the long skinny needle-looking brass part that is inside the carb, and has a a few holes in it). I hope this was the reason why it wasn't starting at all with this carb.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Neptune View Post
d, no you are describing the "scavenge tube". The "discharge tube" is threaded into the throat and feeds from the "emulsion well". It is the "tube" that the 'air/fuel" is discharged into the "venturi (the round piece in the throat)" for proper mixing for the intake.

Jerry or someone have an exploded carb pic to post?
Yep. Probably the MAIN DISCHARGE NOZZLE.
See attached...
It's the
Attached Images

Attached Images
File Type: pdf Carb Schematic.PDF (217.5 KB, 423 views)

'Lone Ranger'

1978 RANGER 30

Last edited by roadnsky; 07-28-2015 at 01:56 PM. Reason: better Carb Schematic
  #64   IP: 24.234.58.67
Old 07-28-2015, 01:46 PM
Afourian MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Neptune View Post
Don has some pics in his "Tech tips" I believe.

FYI, Don also has a really excellent video that you can download for 12 bucks!

HERE

'Lone Ranger'

1978 RANGER 30
  #65   IP: 71.118.13.238
Old 07-28-2015, 02:50 PM

Thanx Jerry!!!

d, does this help to identify for you.

Dave Neptune