X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SeaFever
    • Dec 2009

For Sale: Atomic 4 Gas Engine in Excellent running condition in boat

I have a 30 Hp Atomic 4 gas engine in excellent running condition for sale. Engine is raw water cooled. I am selling since I have decided to re-power with a diesel. The sale includes the following:

1. 30 Hp Atomic 4 4 cylinder gas engine that has:
    a. 1:1 gear box
    b. Original 37 Amp Universal alternator with Prestolite regulator
    c. Oberdorfer water pump
    d. Original Manual and a soft copy if you need it

2. Gas fuel filter

The engine is in excellent running condition. It starts with the 1st crank and runs smoothly. Just last year I cleaned up the cooling passages with oxalic acid per the instructions on this forum and since then it runs even more smoothly.

I would welcome you to come and see the engine running in my boat and test it before you decide to buy. My boat is a Pearson 10M (33ft) and is located in Embarcadero Cove Marina close to Coast Guard Island in Oakland, CA, USA. I am trying to insert the urls to my pics below hope that works, otherwise I will attach photo files.

Make me an offer. Only serious buyers contact please. Contact Mahendra at msoneji@pacbell.net
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Administrator; 12-30-2009, 10:18 AM. Reason: Images resized.
  • Baltimore Sailor
    Afourian MVP
    • May 2007

Goodness gracious. You've got a perfectly-running pinup-quality A4 in your boat and you want to dump it for an expensive, smelly, noisy diesel?

What on Earth for? Seriously. Were you talked into this by your sailing peers? Did you inherit and are looking for ways to get rid of the money?

I think an intervention is called for. Anyone live close by?

Comment

• Administrator
      MMI Webmaster
      • Oct 2004

Anybody notice the "hot spot" on the manifold mentioned in a separate thread?

Bill

Comment

• Baltimore Sailor
        Afourian MVP
        • May 2007

Yep. I've got one on my engine too, and it runs as cool as the other side of the pillow. Well, actually right at 160 or so.

I think it's just the way those engines roll.

Comment

• roadnsky
          Afourian MVP
          • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Baltimore Sailor View Post
          Goodness gracious. You've got a perfectly-running pinup-quality A4 in your boat and you want to dump it for an expensive, smelly, noisy diesel?
          What on Earth for? Seriously. Were you talked into this by your sailing peers? Did you inherit and are looking for ways to get rid of the money?
          I think an intervention is called for. Anyone live close by?
          Man, I strongly second Baltimore's admonition (advisement, advocacy, caution, charge, consultation, counsel, direction, dissuasion, encouragement, exhortation, forewarning, guidance, help, information, injunction, input, instruction, judgment, lesson, news, opinion, persuasion, prescription, proposal, proposition, recommendation, steer, suggestion, teaching, telltale, tidings, tip, tip-off, two cents' worth, view, warning, word, word to the wise)

Why would you do that?!
          I may swing by and pick up Neil and we'll come up there and "intervene"?
          -Jerry

'Lone Ranger'
          sigpic
          1978 RANGER 30

Comment

• ndutton
            Afourian MVP
            • May 2009

Dude, sounds like you swallowed a dictionary.

There's a long held belief by some that gasoline has no place on a boat and resale values bear this out. The hypocrisy of it all is these same boats often use propane as their cooking fuel - similar explosive force, heavier than air and worst of all, stored under pressure. Somehow, that goes unnoticed.

SeaFever, we're all interested. As Balty pondered, why go through the hassle and expense of replacing a good running, reliable engine? And I'm curious, what kind of cooking fuel do you use?
            Last edited by ndutton; 12-30-2009, 01:14 AM.
            Neil
            1977 Catalina 30
            San Pedro, California
            prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
            Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• roadnsky
              Afourian MVP
              • Dec 2008

Originally posted by ndutton View Post
              Dude, sounds like you swallowed a dictionary.
              Yeah, too much drink trying to drown out listening to my Father-in-Law explain things to me at dinner. (Another post for another site)
              Apologies...

But seriously, SeaFever. Listen to the reason here...
              Last edited by roadnsky; 12-30-2009, 01:22 AM.
              -Jerry

'Lone Ranger'
              sigpic
              1978 RANGER 30

Comment

• ndutton
                Afourian MVP
                • May 2009

As long as father-in-law was buying, you get a pass.
                Neil
                1977 Catalina 30
                San Pedro, California

Comment

• SeaFever
                  • Dec 2009

For Sale: Atomic 4 Gas Engine in Excellent running condition in boat

Thanks guys. I really appreciate all the feedback. I have used and maintained the A4 for a few years now and I love and admire it. I am not going to berate the A4 as it is a good engine. Believe me I have given this a good amount of thought and also I am not going to be spending a whole lot of money as I don't have much to spare... I took my time finding the right diesel engine at the right price. I also am going to do a lot of the work myself to save money. I have acquired a Universal M25 3 cyl diesel and have been working on it in my garage for the last 6-8 months. The M25s were used by Catalina 30/34/36s and a M25XP is still in production. The M25 is a Kubota 850 engine so I am able to get most parts at a great price from Kubota. Luckily I got a engine in great condition that shows factory spec compression on all cylinders and one that fits on my 11.5" center to center stringers and is sized right to fit in my boat. I will have to add some height on the stringers perhaps but that is easy.

I would like to do some long distance cruising and also a bit more torque at low rpm would be helpful. Note that I have a hard mounted 1:1 gear straight A4. Even though my engine runs smoothly the diesel is not going to have more vibration than the A4 given the fact that I will have mounting bolts. The 2:1 Tx will allow for a larger prop (maybe a 14x10 instead of the current 12x7) to push my 12500 Lb displacement hull.

There is a reason why there are few gas engines in production for sailboats today and that most, if not all, sailboat builders use diesels these days.

I am confident that my A4 will provide a good reliable and cheap alternative to anyone needing a replacement as compared to buying a rebuilt one or an unknown condition one to rebuild. I would appreciate you guys more experienced than me letting me know what would be a good price for my A4 so I don't leave money on the table.

I am grateful for all the advice and welcome anyone who wants to visit me here in Oakland, CA. I am technical so I will welcome and enjoy the discussion. Please use my email in the first posting to contact me. I will be happy to show you my boat and we can have a meal together.

Cheers.

Comment

• roadnsky
                    Afourian MVP
                    • Dec 2008

SF-
                    All good solid reasons for making your decision. Best of luck.
                    Sorry to see you leave our band of gypsies...
                    -Jerry

'Lone Ranger'
                    sigpic
                    1978 RANGER 30

Comment

• ndutton
                      Afourian MVP
                      • May 2009

SeaFever,

My goal is not to change your mind. You've thought this out thoroughly and you've got to do what's right for you.

You made a comment, though, that caught my eye:

There is a reason why there are few gas engines in production for sailboats today and that most, if not all, sailboat builders use diesels these days.
                      I expect there are several reasons:
                      1. The boatbuying public has bought into the diesel superiority argument and because of this -
                      2. Sailboats with diesels have higher resale value.
                      3. Boatbuilders cater to their buyers or they don't sell boats.
                      4. There are no longer any gas auxiliaries that compare to the now discontinued Atomic 4 (in my opinion, there never were, including the Palmer P60 or the open flywheel Volvo MB-10 which I doubt anyone on this forum has even heard of).

At least that's the current situation as I see it.

Looking at fiberglass sailboats dating back to their heyday of the early 70's, the venerable Catalina 30, the most prolific 30 footer in history with somewhere around 8000 boats produced, was originally designed around the Atomic 4. When diesels became popular with buyers, Catalina tried several models with varying levels of success, both in fit and performance. It took them quite a while to find a suitable diesel replacement for the A4. I admit when I bought my boat a few years ago, I figured I'd get the useful life out of my 30+ year old engine and then change to a diesel.

Four years later, I hope that day never comes.
                      Last edited by ndutton; 12-31-2009, 02:02 AM.
                      Neil
                      1977 Catalina 30
                      San Pedro, California

Comment

• SeaFever
                        • Dec 2009

Hi Niel,

I agree with your points and assessment of the market situation. I am quite sure your A4 will provide you with many more years of service. With the help of people like Don Moyer A4 users keep getting quality parts at reasonable prices, which is a great thing.

Let me know if you guys want to get together. I look forward to meeting and speaking with you guys. It will be fun, we go out on a sail in SF bay.

Happy New Year and cheers for now.

Comment

• ndutton
                          Afourian MVP
                          • May 2009

SF,

You've asked about a reasonable market price for your A4. Currently there's a M25XP for $4K, a 5411 for $2700 and a 5416 for $3400, all of these are diesels comparable to the A4 and professionally remanufactured. There's an as-is 5416 available for $2500.

I've seen as-is A4's in various conditions priced from $250 (dog butt ugly) to around $1300 with most in the middle range, around $800 or so.

My point in mentioning the diesels is if you price yourself in that range, many will opt for the diesel for reasons posted earlier by both of us.

This certainly isn't the last word, just what I've seen around.
                          Neil
                          1977 Catalina 30
                          San Pedro, California

Comment

• Out Patient
                            Frequent Contributor
                            • Jan 2010

Interested

I am interested. I am SOCAL.

Comment

• SeaFever
                              • Dec 2009

Hi Outpatient,

Feel free to email me at my email address in the original posting or PM (private message) me.

Thanks,

Mahendra

Comment

Working...
                              X