X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dr2061
    • Sep 2009

stuffing box

I own a 1975 Catalina 30 and want to replace the flax in the stuffing box. The access panel at the foot of the stairs does not provide clear access. I can barely get my bear hand in there let alone two wrenches. So how do I get access to it?
    I tried from the engine compartment and that is not much better. Help!!! Thanks in advance. Allen
  • Don Moyer
    • Oct 2004

Allen,

If the answer doesn't pop up on our Forum you could call Catalina at 818 884-7700 or contact them through their web site at catalinayachts.com. I don't recall this problem surfacing before within the Catalina 30 fleet, so you should measure the opening in your cabin sole before contacting them in case your opening is smaller than normal.

Don

Comment

• ndutton
      Afourian MVP
      • May 2009

My 77 C30 has great access through the same floor panel. How 'bout a picture??
      Neil
      1977 Catalina 30
      San Pedro, California
      prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
      Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• Jesse Delanoy
        Afourian MVP
        • Dec 2006

My '77 C-30 also has great access via this panel.

Jesse Delanoy
        s/v Off the Grid - hull no. 664
        Baltimore/Pasadena

Comment

• sastanley
          Afourian MVP
          • Sep 2008

Like Jesse, I have a '77 Catalina 30, and I will admit to some 'frustration' when adjusting the stuffing box. Once you get the nuts loose enough to spin by hand, access should be good, but I had to have one wrench (probably channel locks) in the access hole in the floor for one nut, and the pipe wrench coming at the assembly from the back end of the motor thru the access door in the counter.

There are lots of C-30 guys here....as Neil recommended pic of your technique could help us refine it
          -Shawn
          "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
          "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
          sigpic

Comment

• dr2061
            • Sep 2009

stuffing box

Gentlemen,
            I appreciate your pompt response. I will try to attach a picture within the next week or two Unfortunately, I can't get down to my boat for that period of time. I will be back in touch however. Thanks. Allen

Comment

• dr2061
              • Sep 2009

stuffing box

Gentlemen,
              As stated earlier, thanks for your quick responses. I have attached three photos to show you the problem. I hope I won't have to enlarge the access hole in the floor to do the replacement. I'm hoping you have a trick up your sleeve. You may have to view it from different angles. It appears that the pics came out very large. Thanks in advance for your help. Allen
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Administrator; 11-26-2009, 09:18 AM. Reason: Resized images. Please be careful about image size unless there is some reason to provide significant detail. Thanks!

Comment

• ndutton
                Afourian MVP
                • May 2009

Yours certainly isn't like mine. I'd say your best option is to enlarge the access hole. In doing so, my concern is the sole could become spongy in that area due to lost structure.

On the other hand, maybe you're a candidate for a Lasdrop shaft seal.
                Neil
                1977 Catalina 30
                San Pedro, California

Comment

• rheaton
                  • Aug 2005

We have a 78 Catalina 30. Your access opening looks of similar size and position to ours. Perhaps the rubber piping attached to the rudder tube is longer. Adjusting the length of this might help. When I get up to it, I will measure everything and take some pictures. Best of luck.

Take care, Russ

Comment

• dr2061
                    • Sep 2009

stuffing box

Russ,
                    Thanks for responding. Let me know what you discover when you viewyour stuffing box. I look forward to seeing your pictures so I can campare them to mine. Thanks again. Allen

Comment

• Raymond
                      • Sep 2009

Allen,

I have a 1975 Catalina 30, hull number 120, and had the same problem with access to the stuffing box nuts. I notched out the cabin sole enough to access the nuts. It is plenty solid there so I have had no structural problem ( I did this probably 30 years ago). I slid the original cover forward and filled in under the ladder.

Raymond

Comment

• dr2061
                        • Sep 2009

stuffing box

Raymond,
                        Thanks for the info. I guess there's no way to avoid cutting into the cabin sole and enlarging the access hole in order to get to the stuffing box. I feel a little better knowing that I'm not the only one who has run into this problem. I guess there's some truth to the old saying that "misery loves company". (Actually, sorry to hear that you had the same frustration but glad to hear that it all worked out.) Allen

Comment

• ndutton
                          Afourian MVP
                          • May 2009

I looked at your pics again and noticed that my access hole goes all the way to the face of the galley riser. My shaft exit and stuffing box are still considerably more aft than yours though.
                          Neil
                          1977 Catalina 30
                          San Pedro, California

Comment

• dr2061
                            • Sep 2009

stuffing box

Neil,
                            Thanks for taking the time. Now all I have to do is make sure that when I cut through the fiberglass to enalrge the hole I don't cut something (like a wire or something) because I can't see it or feel it. Yes, I have a dental mirror for that purpose but who knows what could be lurking just out of sight. Take care. Allen

Comment

• sastanley
                              Afourian MVP
                              • Sep 2008

Allen,

I am not 100% sure, but yours doesn't seem that much different in physical location than mine, but perhaps your access hatch in the floor is not the same. I can see my stuffing box nuts & some threads from the hatch in the floor, but I still have to have one wrench in each hatch to access...I cannot get a wrench on the forward nut thru the floor.

One thing I definitely have there in the floor hatch area is the shift cable & a bilge pump hose...my shift cable is just barely to port of the floor opening and I wouldn't think to look for it there except that there are two bolts thru the floor the mount it solidly underneath the sole before it goes to the engine. When you blindly poke your hand into the rough fiberglass you find it after a few cuts & knicks too

You def. have some control cable to port, and you may have a bilge pump hose or two there too. Be careful and take your time. That pic from the stbd access hatch (near the alternator) should give you a good view if you supplement with a good strong light to locate the things you don't want to cut.

One other thing I did was to cut out the extra top section of the settee cover just to stbd of where the counter cabinetry ends. I haven't figured out a good way to support the cabinet yet, so it sags about a 1/2", but the access to the back end of the motor (coil, water pump, shaft, etc.) is greatly improved..it's hard to tell, but yours may have that as well, judging from the vantage point of the pictures.

Here is a pic of where my stuffing box nuts are located...you can barely see the forward nut (sorry for the poor lighting). Usually what I can do is see a little water flinging out of the forward nut when the shaft is spinning from this vantage point (with a flashlight) - I'd rather sponge a few ounces of water out of the bilge than risk the shaft getting hot.
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by sastanley; 12-02-2009, 11:59 AM. Reason: add pic & clarify
                              -Shawn
                              "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
                              "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X