Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Discussion Topics > General Interest

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #1   IP: 137.200.32.54
Old 07-20-2018, 10:53 AM
Afourian MVP

Thanked 1,026 Times in 721 Posts
AIS-NAV results

Thought I would give an update on my AIS setup.
AIS unit - works fantastic I get other boats at decent ranges, sometime over 30 miles away and almost always at least 4 or 5 even with ADS-B targets.
OpenCPN on laptop - works fantastic as well.
CP180 Standard Horizon plotter at wheel - well it works, but not fantastic. The AIS implementation is pretty basic and the target symbols are not the best. It has the inescapable issue of a small screen. You either see detail or a long way, but not both. It is reliable, hardly draws any current, daylight readable, waterproof, and easily seen from the wheel, so it is doing its basic duty for sure.
Yakker Wifi link - this is questionable. It does fine with one device linked, but seems to have issues with more than one with some of them dropping connections.
iNavX on iPad - Works OK. It links to the wifi and shows AIS targets What annoys me is the Navionics app is *so much better*, but has no way to take the incoming data stream I would never suggest anyone use iNavX except AFAIK there is no choice when doing streaming data or at least no choice that doesn't cost a ton more for an I-device.