X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jimmy
    • Aug 2011

OPSS Switch question

Greetings - a couple questions as I upgrade to a electric fuel pump (working with the MM conversion kit)

1) the brass plug I need to remove to install the OPSS is giving me grief. Instead of fighting this any longer, I got a bright idea.....wondering if I can add the OPSS to the same outlet as the Oil Pressure sending unit. To avoid any extreme torque on that location, I would use a “AN” fitting, and remotely mound the sending unit and OPSS. Any reason this won’t work?

2) I am adding a fuel shutoff solenoid. Any reason I can’t power this off the coil “+” terminal ? Turn off the engine, solenoid closes. This is over and above the valve on top of the tank.

As always, I value, and appreciate the input of this group.

Cheers
    Jimmy
    sigpic
    Jimmy
    C&C 29 MK1
    Erieau , Lake Erie
  • thatch
    Afourian MVP
    • Dec 2009

Jimmy, I have made a similar change and it is perfectly acceptable. Mine is made up using AN fittings and stainless braid hose. In my case I'm feeding four units, the OPSS, two oil pressure gauges and a Cole Hersee low oil pressure alarm.
    Tom

Comment

• ndutton
      Afourian MVP
      • May 2009

1) That's how mine is, oil pressure actuated sender/switches mounted on a bulkhead, connected to the engine with 300psi oil rated hose. Be sure to run a ground wire to the sender array, the oil pressure gauge won't work without it.

2) Yes, you can power the solenoid shutoff from coil + with this advisement: to do it right, as you add load to the ignition circuit (this valve and the new electric fuel pump) you should measure the voltage at all components on the circuit. You don't want voltages lower than 3% of the source which for the engine circuit is the alternator. Voltage measurements below 3% indicate the entire ignition wiring circuit needs bigger wire. We have a voltage drop calculator on the USCG/ABYC Standards forum category.
      Neil
      1977 Catalina 30
      San Pedro, California
      prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
      Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• Jimmy
        • Aug 2011

One more question...

Thanks for the feedback guys. Last piece to this mini refit, is to relocate the coil, on a bulkhead. Like the idea of cooler ‘smoother environment. In doing so, I will need to increase ( replace with longer )the length of the coil wire that runs between coil and distributer cap. Any pit falls?

Again, Tnx

Cheers
        Jimmy
        sigpic
        Jimmy
        C&C 29 MK1
        Erieau , Lake Erie

Comment

• ndutton
          Afourian MVP
          • May 2009

No pit falls with coil relocation, rock on. It would be interesting to get some IR temp readings of the coil before and after relocation to compare.
          Neil
          1977 Catalina 30
          San Pedro, California

Comment

• Jimmy
            • Aug 2011

Future coil temp comparison

Thanks for the info.....
            I will prep the A4 for a coil relocation, but not actually move it until after launch, around last week of April. I have a IR temp gun, so readings should be very accurate.

Cheers
            Jimmy
            sigpic
            Jimmy
            C&C 29 MK1
            Erieau , Lake Erie

Comment

• ndutton
              Afourian MVP
              • May 2009

Great! Please mark a target on the coil so you are reading the same spot.
              Neil
              1977 Catalina 30
              San Pedro, California

Comment

• Al Schober
                Afourian MVP
                • Jul 2009

I've done the remote mount of the pressure sender and the OPSS. I used an 18" length of hose meant for a grease gun (Home Depot stock). Don't forget to run a ground lead to the block.
                I also tried the solenoid fuel shutoff, but wasn't comfortable with it and changed it out for a ball valve. Perhaps if I'd had the fuel pressure gauge at the carb inlet (which I now have), I would have kept the solenoid valve.

Comment

• sastanley
                  Afourian MVP
                  • Sep 2008

+1 on coil relocate working OK. I found a semi-custom wire available at my local NAPA. The high tension wire ended up being about 6" longer than A4 OEM to reach the bulkhead where I mounted the coil.

Look forward to your readings, Jimmy!
                  Last edited by sastanley; 01-24-2018, 11:37 PM.
                  -Shawn
                  "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
                  "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
                  sigpic

Comment

• Jimmy
                    • Aug 2011

What’s ‘normal” fuel pressure/

Couple weeks later than planned, but finally splashed today. Will relocate coil after more seasonal temps set in.....single digits temps today- yuck

I noticed my fuel pressure gauge was reading a steady 2.5 lbs. ( just started running with a electric fuel pump)

Last year with the mechanical pump, I constantly showed 5-6 psi, on the same gauge.

What’s “normal ‘ fuel pressure? What would you consider “low’” fuel pressure?

Thanks for any pearls of wisdom you can share
                    sigpic
                    Jimmy
                    C&C 29 MK1
                    Erieau , Lake Erie

Comment

• Dave Neptune
                      Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
                      • Jan 2007

Jimmy, about all the A-4 needs is 1 1/2 PSI, 2.5 is great and 5~6 is on the hi side and nothing to be concerned with.

Dave Neptune

Comment

• joe_db
                        Afourian MVP
                        • May 2009

Originally posted by Jimmy View Post
                        Couple weeks later than planned, but finally splashed today. Will relocate coil after more seasonal temps set in.....single digits temps today- yuck

I noticed my fuel pressure gauge was reading a steady 2.5 lbs. ( just started running with a electric fuel pump)

Last year with the mechanical pump, I constantly showed 5-6 psi, on the same gauge.

What’s “normal ‘ fuel pressure? What would you consider “low’” fuel pressure?

Thanks for any pearls of wisdom you can share
                        Electric fuel pumps come in different flavors. Some are 4 PSI, some are 2, some are 8, etc.
                        The A4 really doesn't care, 1 PSI will run it fine and so will 6. 8 might be pushing things.
                        Joe Della Barba
                        Coquina
                        C&C 35 MK I
                        Maryland USA

Comment

• tenders
                          Afourian MVP
                          • May 2007

Originally posted by Jimmy View Post
                          Will relocate coil after more seasonal temps set in.....single digits temps today- yuck
                          This made me wonder where in the Arctic you might be rocking that A4 until I realized...CENTIGRADE. Still cold, but...Canada.

Canada...the home of the elusive Atomic Four "Stevedore" edition! Have you got one? Limited HP version of the A4 to comply with a short-lived Canadian trade restriction.

Comment

• Marty Levenson
                            • Nov 2004

What is "AN"

"1) the brass plug I need to remove to install the OPSS is giving me grief. Instead of fighting this any longer, I got a bright idea.....wondering if I can add the OPSS to the same outlet as the Oil Pressure sending unit. To avoid any extreme torque on that location, I would use a “AN” fitting, and remotely mound the sending unit and OPSS. Any reason this won’t work?"

Thanks! My ignorance is boundless.
                            Marty
                            1967 Tartan 27
                            Bowen Island, BC

sigpic

Comment

• Marty Levenson
                              • Nov 2004

Coil on bulkhead

When I moved our coil to the bulkhead I attached it with a chunky piece of aluminum as a heatsink. Didn't have an IR temp gun at the times, so no comparison available...
                              Marty
                              1967 Tartan 27
                              Bowen Island, BC

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X