Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Discussion Topics > General Interest

#1   IP: 70.48.233.184
Old 08-20-2007, 10:42 AM

Broken off bolt - Patch over or remove?

I tried to remove the 5/16 inch bolt which secures a bracket and the electrical panel ground to the right side of the engine block while trying to trouble shoot an electrical problem. This bolt is one of three on the right side of the block close to the starter assembly. Unfortunately the bolt head snapped off. I have not as yet been successful with a reverse tap. I reconnected the ground to a bolt at the flywheel assembly. Water drips from the broken off bolt hole. My question is whether I would be better off using an epoxy fill for the hole, or risking damage to the block by trying to remove the remnants of the severed bolt. I am concerned that metal bits drilled out of the bolt might do more damage if circulated through the cooling system.
  #2   IP: 24.47.216.175
Old 09-01-2007, 09:36 PM
Afourian MVP

JB Weld heat resistant epoxy might do the trick.
  #3   IP: 69.136.46.94
Old 09-02-2007, 09:17 PM

Remove and replace if possible

I am not sure of the exact bolt that broke, but if it is weeping water (especially if it is sailed in saltwater) I would recommend that you do all possible to remove and replace. I would not place much hope in an epoxy; especially given that it is dripping.

I know nobody will believe me, but I rebuilt an A-4 years ago after long service in saltwater. About a dozen bolts twisted off during disassembly -- and I was fit to be tied. My neighbor wandered over with a small cold-chisel, and tapped with chisel point and hammer around the perimeter of a bolt. I told him he was nuts, but after a few minutes the lateral tapping on the broken bolt loosened it enough to be turned out. He repeated this effort for all the bolts -- and they all came out the same way INCLUDING the last one. The tapping apparently broke the rust seal around each bolt and out they came.

I ate crow for a while.

If you can get access to the broken bolt, you might try the same thing. Patiently try tapping a small chisel from different angles around the bold shaft. It might minutely "wiggle" the bolt shaft after a while to let you back it out.

Jim
Ranger 30/Northern Light