X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rockhopper
    • May 2017

Pearson 30 questions...any answers?

1. My Pearson 30 has a black plug on the port side of the cockpit, it appears to have 2 pins and has the brand name Guest on it. What is this for?

2. On the starboard side of the cockpit closer to the tiller there is an aluminum screw plug a little smaller than a cigarette lighter. Does anyone know what this is? I haven't been able to unscrew the cap off it to see what's under it.

3. How are the seacocks supposed to work? There seems to be a handle on one side and a twisting side. I can spin the twisting side loose but the handle with the rubber on it don't seem to move.

4. What brand of gauges did Pearson use on the engine? My temp. sensor for my Atomic 4 appears to be pressure operated, the sender is old and the fitting is corroded from my old enine, Ken with Moyer Marine said he hadn't seen a pressure operated temp that he could remember. The gauge reads Sunpro.
    Chris
    1973 Pearson 30 #411
    Trinity, North Carolina
  • romantic comedy
    Afourian MVP
    • May 2007

Rock, pictures would be quite helpful.

Comment

• Marty Levenson
      • Nov 2004

Probably...

1. Guest makes battery chargers. Shore power in, trickle charge to batteries out. Follow the wires and check with a meter when power hooked up.

2. Sounds like the electric plug for the auto helm.

3. The ball valve handle is likely frozen. Penetrating oil, time, and repeated medium force wiggling might work it loose. Replace the whole valve next haulout.

4. Sound like you need a new sender and probably a new gauge.
      Marty
      1967 Tartan 27
      Bowen Island, BC

sigpic

Comment

• rockhopper
        • May 2017

Originally posted by romantic comedy View Post
        Rock, pictures would be quite helpful.
        Yeah, sorry I forgot to grab pictures. I just wasn't sure if it was a factory installed option.
        Originally posted by Marty Levenson View Post
        1. Guest makes battery chargers. Shore power in, trickle charge to batteries out. Follow the wires and check with a meter when power hooked up.

2. Sounds like the electric plug for the auto helm.

3. The ball valve handle is likely frozen. Penetrating oil, time, and repeated medium force wiggling might work it loose. Replace the whole valve next haulout.

4. Sound like you need a new sender and probably a new gauge.
        2. Was the auto helm a factory option? I'm pretty sure whatever plugged in is no longer on the boat.
        3. It is on the hard right now so...What did the factory valves look like? What I've got on the 2 valves appear to be closer to a "Tapered Cone Seacock" like seen here http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/t..._cone_seacocks The raw water connection for the engine cooling is nothing other than a water hose connection like on my house. What is a better option for this? A marine grade ball valve?
        4. I was guessing I might have to get a new sender or a new gauge to match the sender from the replacement motor. Is it possible to match gauges to the sender without knowing the make of the gauge?
        Last edited by rockhopper; 06-27-2017, 09:59 PM.
        Chris
        1973 Pearson 30 #411
        Trinity, North Carolina

Comment

• sastanley
          Afourian MVP
          • Sep 2008

Rock
          #3 - I think Groco used to make a seacock with a handle on one side and a wing nut of sorts on the other..If I remember, you spin the handle 90° and then locked the rubber inside shut with the nut on the other side to close the water flow. Great stuff back in the 70's, but junk now. I had a couple of these and the rubber inside broke free of the handle..I ripped them out and went to Marelon seacocks and have never looked back.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by sastanley; 06-27-2017, 09:20 PM.
          -Shawn
          "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
          "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
          sigpic

Comment

• rockhopper
            • May 2017

Originally posted by sastanley View Post
            Rock
            #3 - I think Groco used to make a seacock with a handle on one side and a wing nut of sorts on the other..If I remember, you spin the handle 90° and then locked the rubber inside shut with the nut on the other side to close the water flow. Great stuff back in the 70's, but junk now. I had a couple of these and the rubber inside broke free of the handle..I ripped them out and went to Marelon seacocks and have never looked back.
            Right you were, it's a Groco SV750. Just got one of them to move, will dismantle it to check it's condition. What did the Marelon seacock cost and how was installation?
            Chris
            1973 Pearson 30 #411
            Trinity, North Carolina

Comment

• Tim
              • Jul 2005

I also went with the Marelon seacock for the engine raw water. It was about $50 from Defender. You will also need a Marelon thru hull to go with it. The raw water inlet on my boat is 1/2 inch, Marelon was the only seacock I could find for 1/2 inch thru hulls.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Tim; 07-01-2017, 09:47 AM.
              Pearson 10M
              Gloucester, Va

Comment

• rockhopper
                • May 2017

How would the Marelon thruhull fitting work with the raw water scoop?

Installing my FWC kit on my new to me Atomic 4 now.
                Chris
                1973 Pearson 30 #411
                Trinity, North Carolina

Comment

• Tim
                  • Jul 2005

Here are all the parts I used for my raw water inlet. The valve, thru hull and tail piece are all 1/2 inch NPS. The strainer is optional, there are differing opinions on the need for the strainer on a sailboat. If you install the strainer, make sure the strainer portion faces aft, you don't want to scoop water when the engine is off. I also epoxied a fiberglass backing plate to the hull between the hull and the seacock. Secure the seacock to the hull with 1/4-20 stainless or bronze bolts. Good instructions for replacing a seacock can be found at:

Attached Files
                  Pearson 10M
                  Gloucester, Va

Comment

• rockhopper
                    • May 2017

Kind of nervous about drilling anything into the hull. I seen on that site there were some options for now drilling into the hull. What's your thoughts?
                    Chris
                    1973 Pearson 30 #411
                    Trinity, North Carolina

Comment

• Tim
                      • Jul 2005

I went ahead and drilled thru the hull, counter sunk the holes for the bolt heads and faired over them with thickened epoxy. I also used 4200 sealant around the threads and bolt heads. There is no chance they are going to leak.
                      Pearson 10M
                      Gloucester, Va

Comment

• rockhopper
                        • May 2017

The two thruhulls appear to be in good shape for their age, finally loosened the nut up more and the valve turned. So for the time being I think I'm leaving them alone.

Does anyone have any photos of how the P-30 exhaust system was setup?
                        Attached Files
                        Chris
                        1973 Pearson 30 #411
                        Trinity, North Carolina

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
                          Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
                          • Nov 2008

If you open and close the through hull valves every once in a while they will not "freeze" or corrode in one position.

TRUE GRIT

Comment

• ndutton
                            Afourian MVP
                            • May 2009

Originally posted by JOHN COOKSON View Post
                            If you open and close the through hull valves every once in a while they will not "freeze" or corrode in one position.

TRUE GRIT
                            . . . . aka exercising the valves.
                            Neil
                            1977 Catalina 30
                            San Pedro, California
                            prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
                            Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• tac
                              • Nov 2015

Pearson 30 Hot Exhaust

Here's a photo of my original exhaust, consisting (under the lagging) of a 1-1/4" x 1-1/2" reducer, two 1-1/2" els, some short 1-1/2" nipples sized to fit, and a 1-1/2" x 1-1/2" x 1/2" reducing tee for a mixing fitting, and a short piece of 1-1/2" exhaust hose to the waterlift muffler. Sea water (both raw water and FW cooled engine) was injected via a perforated cooper spray tube downward into the 1/2" port of the tee. Except for this tube, all parts were threaded steel pipe, which should be available from any good local plumbing supply.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X