X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hanleyclifford
    Afourian MVP
    • Mar 2010

Shawn - I like to leave Annapolis at first light so I can get the primo anchor spot in front of the Naughty Gull. Hanley

Comment

• sastanley
      Afourian MVP
      • Sep 2008

Fortunately for me, the Naughty Gull is a 20 minute motor down the creek..or when I had my boat on the hard, about a 50 yard walk, since I always haul at Spring Cove... - They have some good cream of crab soup!

That is also where Bill (the Administrator) & I missed each other this summer..he was tied up at the end of a Spring Cove transient dock & at dinner when I came down to meet him and saw his boat..he saw my boat (on the hard..this was during shaft log hell) on the way back, but we'd just missed each other.

Folks that are more aggressive than me with their itineraries can certainly make that trip.

Sorry to get OT since this thread was about blinging out our boats with fancy gauges.
      -Shawn
      "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
      "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
      sigpic

Comment

• hanleyclifford
        Afourian MVP
        • Mar 2010

Shawn - No problem going of topic - I like to see where these discussions go. The main thing is that the link to these quality gauges is right at the beginning of the thread where it can be useful. As you know I am a strong proponent of high quality measuring gear. I buy the cheapest 30w detergent oil I can find, but measure it's pressure with the best gauge available. My next purchase (when I get the boodle) will be a digital vacuum gauge which I think can pay for itself in one trip in improved fuel economy. Regards, Hanley

Comment

• ArtJ
          • Sep 2009

Hanley

A little off topic, but still on oil. What do you think of the requirements
          for 0 20 wt oil on new cars, Camry for one? They say 5 w 20 can be
          used for one change.

Thanks and Regards

Art

Comment

• sastanley
            Afourian MVP
            • Sep 2008

I checked out those gauges..I still have the 1977 gauges in the boat, and while I think they work just fine, I plan to replace them when I re-do my panel, and start my re-wiring project.

I've had trouble finding matching gauges that do all the things our A-4 needs to my satisfaction:

Oil - something that has a scale with some accuracy below 20 PSI, since I am usually in that range

water - Something that reads well from 140 - 210..the normal range of the A-4

voltage - something that doesn't think that 13 volts is 'green' anymore.

tach - something that isn't 0-8,000 RPM for a 200 HP outboard.

I figure the nice ones that Moyer sells would probably work just fine.
            -Shawn
            "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
            sigpic

Comment

• hanleyclifford
              Afourian MVP
              • Mar 2010

I find that redundancy is a good thing with gauges especially on the critical things like oil pressure and temperature. My two oil gauges disagree by 5-7 psi all the time. My two temp gauges also disagree. That is why I want to go digital - it seems that everything else in the world has. BTW, less than 20 psi for oil is a little low - have you cranked your adjuster in all the way?

Comment

• ArtJ
                • Sep 2009

Digital Gauges give you more resolution, but not necessarily more accuracy.

An error on a gauge is often expressed as a percent of full scale.
                Linearity is sometimes spec'd as well

Percent of reading would be more accurate on any gauge, but expensive
                to guarantee.

Comment

• rheaton
                  • Aug 2005

Dog in front seat, and wife in back, really made me laugh.

Comment

• sastanley
                    Afourian MVP
                    • Sep 2008

hanley...yes..I've cranked it in .75 - 1 full turn on three separate occasions now, and it seems to make little difference...which is one reason I want a new gauge to confirm or deny the findings on the 30+ year old gauge.

I have the Indigo oil filter kit, which will replace the stock pressure regulator, which is on the list for this winter. It is funny (& I've discussed this in other threads) my oil pressure goes up as the engine warms..I have a nice rock steady 35 PSI after about 45 minutes...the first 20 minutes when it is reading 7-12 PSI is what scares me - I try to take it easy on her when she is building pressure.
                    -Shawn
                    sigpic

Comment

• Administrator
                      MMI Webmaster
                      • Oct 2004

Dog in front seat, and wife in back, really made me laugh.
                      There really is a rationale for this. All week long, the man and his dog are out together, with the dog in the passenger seat. On those occasions when the wife is present, she doesn't care to sit where the dog has been sitting all week, so she sits in the back.

Occasionally, you'll see the dog in the back of a pickup. That really upsets me and a lot of other folks, but you do see it.

Bill

Comment

• Mo
                        Afourian MVP
                        • Jun 2007

LOL...Now I get it.
                        Mo

"Odyssey"
                        1976 C&C 30 MKI

The pessimist complains about the wind.
                        The optimist expects it to change.
                        The realist adjusts the sails.
                        ...Sir William Arthur Ward.

Comment

• domenic
                          • Jul 2010

Originally posted by Administrator View Post
                          In this neck of the woods (the Eastern Shore of Maryland), dressing up means a clean tee-shirt, and scrungy old baseball caps are worn 24 hours a day, indoors and out, being removed only when the American flag passes by in the 4th of July parade. Some indication of service in the armed forces, John Deere and various brands of seed/feed or maybe a dog or hunting scene are the preferred logos.

Labs sit in the passenger seat up front, with the wife in the back. It is generally acknowledged that there are more labs than people in Kent County, where Don and I live.

Nine miles away as the crow flies, on the other side of The Bay, there's Annapolis (the western shore [intentionally lower case]), whose residents refer to themselves as Annapolitans. That should tell you all you need to know. The pastors say it's only a quarter to call heaven from here - it's a local call, you see.

Bill
                          [B]The pastors say it's only a quarter to call heaven from here - it's a local call, you see.[/B

HAHAHAHAHAHA....best I have heard all year.

Comment

• Jesse Delanoy
                            Afourian MVP
                            • Dec 2006

Chesapeake Bay is one of the best recreational sailing grounds, maybe in the world. Lots of destinations within a day's sail of each other, weather conditions that can change day by day (or even hour by hour), plenty of open water, but protected from the REALLY violent weather (worst I've ever been out in was maybe beating into 4 - 5 foot waves coming down from the north) and lots of neat little anchorages and towns to visit -on both the Eastern Shore and the western shore. I've done two 2-week trips entirely around the Eastern Shore (Baltimore down to Norfolk, out into the Atlantic, up the coast stopping at Ocean City, into the Delaware Bay and through the canal back into the north end of the Chesapeake, and back down to Baltimore). For a sailor, it's pretty durn close to heaven. Worst part is, it's only worth sailing in maybe 7 months out of the year - but I guess we need some time to get those boat projects done.

The Bay is probably why many consider Annapolis to be the sailing capital of the world.

Comment

Working...
                            X