Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Discussion Topics > Troubleshooting

#1   IP: 159.53.174.143
Old 06-11-2015, 03:27 PM

Two cable-related problems

Long-time lurker, finally posting after reading / benefitting from thousands of posts here! My Atomic 4 is finally running great, after a fair bit of deferred maintenance since I got her in late 2013. I have two somewhat related issues. I have pedestal-mounted dual controls, and when I shift into forwards or reverse, the throttle lever moves along with the transmission lever. Is this a case of taking everything apart and cleaning/lubing, or is there anything else I can check / repair?

Second, when I push the throttle lever forwards, I get to around 1,200 RPM in-gear. This led to a lot of trouble-shooting, carb rebuild, fuel change, filter change, plugs, leads etc.. What I discovered was that pulling the lever BACKWARDS gives me lots more RPM – up to around 1,900 when tied up at the dock. Do you know whether this is by design (seems unlikely), or is there a way to fix this at the control/engine end?

I have the Moyer Bible, and don’t see anything in it on these topics.

Thanks!
  #2   IP: 32.211.28.40
Old 06-11-2015, 09:11 PM
Afourian MVP

This sound like a pedestal issue. Pedestal controls suffer from limited room inside them, hence issues due to looseness and play in the cables. Sorry I can't be more specific, as I don't have a pedestal. However, recommend you check for things moving that shouldn't - particularly the ends of the jacket on the cable.
  #3   IP: 12.216.194.200
Old 06-12-2015, 06:08 AM
Afourian MVP

Hi I have an edison Pedestal and there's a cable clamp where both the throttle
and shift are clamped together and then the clamp is screwed to the pedestal.
Sound like what you have is the clamp is not attached to the pedestal.
If you look at the back of the pedestal there maybe a hole about 1 ft down from the shifter.
Take the top of the pedestal off look down inside and you'll see the clamp with the 2 cables.
The clamp is oblong and in the center is a tapped hole

This is the clamp http://www.edsonmarine.com/marinesto...oducts_id=1107
The screw thats shown is the one that goes through the hole in the pedestal

Steve

Last edited by smosher; 06-12-2015 at 06:15 AM.
  #4   IP: 159.53.78.143
Old 06-12-2015, 08:25 AM

Thanks both for the replies - I'm on the boat this weekend and I'll take apart the pedestal. It's not a mass-market one, frankly it looks home-made (although quite well home-made). The only hole is the one that the controls are installed through.

Is it possible that the cable for the throttle is hooked up backwards? It's odd that it goes in both directions, but that I only get the full range of movement when I haul it backwards.
  #5   IP: 32.211.28.40
Old 06-12-2015, 10:53 PM
Afourian MVP

Doubt if it's backwards. More likely there's more slop in one direction than the other.
  #6   IP: 174.94.19.248
Old 06-15-2015, 11:52 PM
Afourian MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bratina View Post
Long-time lurker, finally posting after reading / benefitting from thousands of posts here! My Atomic 4 is finally running great, after a fair bit of deferred maintenance since I got her in late 2013. I have two somewhat related issues. I have pedestal-mounted dual controls, and when I shift into forwards or reverse, the throttle lever moves along with the transmission lever. Is this a case of taking everything apart and cleaning/lubing, or is there anything else I can check / repair?

Second, when I push the throttle lever forwards, I get to around 1,200 RPM in-gear. This led to a lot of trouble-shooting, carb rebuild, fuel change, filter change, plugs, leads etc.. What I discovered was that pulling the lever BACKWARDS gives me lots more RPM – up to around 1,900 when tied up at the dock. Do you know whether this is by design (seems unlikely), or is there a way to fix this at the control/engine end?

I have the Moyer Bible, and don’t see anything in it on these topics.

Thanks!
So after you had the carb rebuilt...which presumably meant removing and reinstalling it again - you discovered that "pulling the lever backward gives me lots more RPM..."

Sounds to me like your linkage at the carb is suspect?

#7   IP: 159.53.46.141
Old 06-16-2015, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67c&ccorv View Post
So after you had the carb rebuilt...which presumably meant removing and reinstalling it again - you discovered that "pulling the lever backward gives me lots more RPM..."

Sounds to me like your linkage at the carb is suspect?

Ha. Good question, but I don't think so. The throttle arm on the carb moves easily and smoothly to WOT if I pull the lever backwards at the pedestal, but if I push the lever forwards at the pedestal then the throttle cable only moves a small amount, maybe 1/2" or thereabouts. Is there anything I could have done when I rebuilt the carb to cause this? The carb rebuild was in response to a lack of revs, rather than the cause. Ha, now you've got me doubting everything though
  #8   IP: 67.232.86.80
Old 06-16-2015, 07:50 AM
Afourian MVP

I do not have a pedestal so FWIW.
Is it possible that the lever has slipped on the shaft. I was asked to look at a pedestal control that was not functioning properly. All it took was repositioning the lever.

Dan S/V Marian Claire