Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Introductions
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

#1   IP: 72.130.231.52
Old 10-05-2007, 11:43 PM

Introduction

Aloha,
My name is Katie and I own an 1975 Islander 36 in Hawaii. This is the first time for a sailboat and sailing. It has been a wonderful experience since I have learned how to start the engine and drive in and out of the slip.
I have 10 sails as of today, October 5, 2007 (since April 19, 2006). I am currently having issues with my Atomic 4-gasoline engine starting: I had a new fuel pump and water/fuel separator filter installed as of August 2007 and have filled the fuel tank with 30 gallons of gasoline. The engine will not start and I was told that I need to have the carburetor rebuilt.
I am reading information on this site and this has helped me tremendously.
Thanks for all the support.
Mahalo,
Katie
  #2   IP: 75.40.232.19
Old 10-06-2007, 12:00 PM
Afourian MVP

You should be able to rebuild that carb. yourself without too much trouble.

Don sells a carb rebuild kit with excellent instructions and I have posted lots of pictures of that job on my web site.

http://home.earthlink.net/~ultratom/marlinspike.htm

Before you tear into that job, search this site for Don's checklist for non-starting engines and confirm you don't have another problem.

Good luck!

ma
  #3   IP: 66.161.32.165
Old 10-08-2007, 01:06 PM

Thumbs up Yeah, Islander 36!!

Katie,
I was in your shoes when I bought my I 36 about a year and a half ago. First boat, never sailed. I can tell you 2 things:

1: What a great boat!! Very sturdy, seaworthy, and fast!

2: I am certainly not a mechanic, but with the A-4 it is easy and I have been able to repair everything that has come up. For the most part the engine compartment of the I 36 allows more access than most other boats I have seen pictures of on this site. After the initial, "oh no, how do I fix that??" shock of having something wrong, I have found this to be a very easy engine to understand and fix. Keep reading on this site, it is a God send. The people on here are first rate, with great knowledge.

I hope to someday sail to your neck of the woods. Glad to see an I 36 made it there!

Fair winds,
www.betterbmp.com
  #4   IP: 72.130.231.218
Old 10-08-2007, 11:12 PM

Introduction

Thanks for taking the time to reply and assist. I have to make a confession...I did not sail my boat to Hawaii...she was shipped on a trailer via Pasha Hawaii. I will make a few checks of your advice and keep you informed of my results.
Have a safe and wonderful day.
Until later,
Katie
  #5   IP: 72.130.231.218
Old 10-09-2007, 12:27 AM

Introduction

Please give me the exact instructions on changing the ignition system. Thanks,
Katie
  #6   IP: 141.154.58.205
Old 10-09-2007, 09:35 AM

Katie, trouble with A4

Katie,

Why did the person point to your carb? Many things can contribute to the A4 not starting. Was the engine working fine before and suddenly stopped working/starting?

I completely rebuilt my A4 (also my first sailboat and first time working on engine) and found the engine very simple to work on and fix. I would highly recommend getting Don's book and the DVD (ignition & cooling). It was a huge help for me.

Check all your wirings, I found out one of the reason why my A4 did not start was because the feul pump + cable was connected to the wrong place, that lead the previous owner burning out the starter because he just kept cranking the ignition and eventually burned out the starter.

Best of luck to your trouble shooting and please keep us posted. Feel free to contact me if I could be of any help.

Paul macplee@yahoo.com
________
ExtasyGirl

Last edited by macplee; 09-05-2011 at 09:59 AM.