X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sastanley
    Afourian MVP
    • Sep 2008

I am right with you guys...sounds good..my gauge sensor is now up on the oil filter housing...cold oil coming up the transmission hose could cause the high (60 PSI) readings when the engine/oil is cold. However, Hanley's comments bring up a point that I had never considered, and that is which side of the relief valve my sender is on..

I used to see 5(+/-) PSI at startup when my sender was at the "stock" position at the front of the block, and it would rise and settle around 30-35 after warm up..

I am running the Rotella 15w40 these days, but the readings were similar with SAE 30, prior to the oil filter add-on.
    -Shawn
    "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
    "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
    sigpic

Comment

• romantic comedy
      Afourian MVP
      • May 2007

I would think that the pressure would be the same, regardless of the oil type.

Comment

• sastanley
        Afourian MVP
        • Sep 2008

RC, In my case, I do not think the oil type caused the fluctuations..sorry if I was unclear. I think the relocation of the oil pressure sender changed my readings.

However, in some cases I think oil type can change oil pressure readings if you put them in the same motor.
        -Shawn
        "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
        "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
        sigpic

Comment

• JonnyQuest
          • Aug 2010

Neil, the black background really makes those colored gauge sweeps pop out, nice job!
          JonnyQuest
          Boatless right now.
          (Last boat, a fine 27' O'Day 1975)
          MS Gulf Coast

Comment

• ndutton
            Afourian MVP
            • May 2009

Originally posted by joe_db View Post
            [regarding stock color ranges on the gauges]
            If I ever get one of these I might get my graphic artist buddy to move the green arc down to about 30 and put another yellow arc from about 60 up to 90.

Hey MM! Product opportunity for you! Get these gauges and have them marked with A4 appropriate ranges
            FYI, Chief Aircraft (same place as I got the gauges) has a 'Range Mark" kit to modify the gauge face color ranges.
            Last edited by ndutton; 04-03-2014, 05:47 PM.
            Neil
            1977 Catalina 30
            San Pedro, California
            prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
            Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• bacon
              • Mar 2014

Originally posted by ndutton View Post
              One of this off-season's projects was a third run at an instrument panel. The idea began with MMI's panel enclosure, a considerable improvement over my home built fiberglass fabrication and once the EWDS became a reality I knew I wanted to (had to) incorporate it.

So here it is. Improvements over the previous version are:
              1. As said, new MMI enclosure. Besides the clean look, the sloped bottom ledge for water drainage sealed the deal for me. My fabrication didn't have the slope and therefore always had a puddle there.
              2. EWDS. Goes without further elaboration.
              3. The keyswitch is gone in favor of a booted ign toggle switch and a booted starter button.
              4. Except for the tachometer, new gauges. Mine were 1977 originals so they were looking pretty tired. Joe linked the Isspro aviation style gauges a while back and I fell in love with the 240° needle sweeps. Can't have the new EWDS sitting next to old, tired, ugly gauges now, can we?
              5. The previous panel wiring had crimped terminals. I took my time with this version so all terminals are crimped, soldered and heat shrinked (heat shrunk? I dunno).
              6. The plug connection for non-vital circuits showed the beginnings of corrosion. Now replaced, it has dielectric grease inside.

I kept the previous Plexiglass terminal strip deck, couldn't think of a way to make it better. The project is also a comment on how much stuff fits into the MMI large recess.
              This amazing! do you still have the link to the gauges?

Comment

• ndutton
                Afourian MVP
                • May 2009

I was provided the link from another forum member via PM. Once I saw those big needle sweeps there was no turning back.

Neil
                1977 Catalina 30
                San Pedro, California
                prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
                Had my hands in a few others

Comment

Working...
                X