X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gmilburn
    • Apr 2009

Fuel pump plight

I thought I would share a bit of my plight with the group in the hopes that it will save someone some time and grief!

I replaced my old mechanical fuel pump with a new electric one from MM. I chose the block mounted version and after painfully mounting it with only about an inch of side clearance (Ericson 29) I discovered that it blocked the throttle cable from attaching to the carburetor! So on a rainy day, prior to sailing weather, I decided to remove it from the engine block and mount it to the rear of the engine compartment. After all mounting, electrical and plumbing connections were complete, I turned the key. There was no clicking pumping sound. Thus I started troubleshooting fuel to the pump, I bypassed the oil pressure switch, primed the pump with a fuel bulb, etc.--all to no avail! After a couple of hours of working on it, it dawned on me that it was an electric pump, but only had a single wire to attach to the coil (via the oil pressure switch)--thus it needed a ground! I added a ground wire to the metal mounting bracket and walla, I had clicks, fuel, my A4 purred and all was well.

Of course it was a duh moment, but again, my sharing might save someone enough time to drink one more beer! Cheers!
    Last edited by gmilburn; 06-11-2013, 07:40 AM.
    -----------------
    "HydroPhilic" 1977 Ericson 29 Tall
    Beaver Lake, Heart of the Ozarks
    Rogers, Arkansas
  • romantic comedy
    Afourian MVP
    • May 2007

Thanks for sharing. We are rather humble around here.

I locked my wife in the car, and it took me 6 hours to get her out.

Comment

• Mo
      Afourian MVP
      • Jun 2007

Originally posted by gmilburn View Post
      I thought I would share a bit of my plight with the group in the hopes that it will save someone some time and grief!

I replaced my old mechanical fuel pump with a new electric one from MM. I chose the block mounted version and after painfully mounting it with only about an inch of side clearance (Ericson 29) I discovered that it blocked the throttle cable from attaching to the carburetor! So on a rainy day, prior to sailing weather, I decided to remove it from the engine block and mount it to the rear of the engine compartment. After all mounting, electrical and plumbing connections were complete, I turned the key. There was no clicking pumping sound. Thus I started troubleshooting fuel to the pump, I bypassed the oil pressure switch, primed the pump with a fuel bulb, etc.--all to no avail! After a couple of hours of working on it, it dawned on me that it was an electric pump, but only had a single wire to attach to the coil (via the oil pressure switch)--thus it needed a ground! I added a ground wire to the metal mounting bracket and walla, I had clicks, fuel, my A4 purred and all was well.

Of course it was a duh moment, but again, my sharing might save someone enough time to drink one more beer! Cheers!
      We all have those moments...some of us more than others Nice clean engine compartment you have there and it's obvious you look after the boat. That would be your two thumbs up
      Mo

"Odyssey"
      1976 C&C 30 MKI

The pessimist complains about the wind.
      The optimist expects it to change.
      The realist adjusts the sails.
      ...Sir William Arthur Ward.

Comment

• Mo
        Afourian MVP
        • Jun 2007

Originally posted by romantic comedy View Post
        Thanks for sharing. We are rather humble around here.

I locked my wife in the car, and it took me 6 hours to get her out.
        Hilarious!!

Years ago driving home from vacation. Wife was young, all upset after saying bye to her mom etc etc etc...about an hour in started picking on me, them my driving, then couldn't get comfortable, THEN she finally fell asleep (bliss). I drove 2 more hours and hauled in the driveway. Got quietly out of the car and went to bed and asleep. I woke up and she was in bed next to me...never heard a word about it since.
        Mo

"Odyssey"
        1976 C&C 30 MKI

The pessimist complains about the wind.
        The optimist expects it to change.
        The realist adjusts the sails.
        ...Sir William Arthur Ward.

Comment

• ndutton
          Afourian MVP
          • May 2009

Re: ground wire,

Same thing with a relocated oil pressure sensor array. Hanging 3 sensors on the tiny 1/8" nipple looked like a disaster waiting to happen. Relocating it to the bulkhead meant bringing a ground wire with it otherwise neither the oil pressure gauge nor the alarm sensor would work.
          Neil
          1977 Catalina 30
          San Pedro, California
          prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
          Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• Skywalker
            • Jan 2012

I find it weird and positive at the same time.

This forum brings out so much good will, humility, humor, not to mention technical support. I'm not a big tech guy, but it is amazing how real and personal these virtual friendships become.

Thanks for sharing the ground story and the wife stories!

Nice way to wake up.

Chris

Comment

• Administrator
              MMI Webmaster
              • Oct 2004

This thread is classic!

BTW, I admit to not having done my homework, but does the fan installation strike anyone as peculiar?

Bill

Comment

• Dave Neptune
                Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
                • Jan 2007

Fire retros

Bill, I agree with you!!! That fan should be as near the transom exit as it can be. If the fan goes on and there are fumes and a spark FROM THE FAN~~~.
                The exhaust fan should suck the air our not blow it from the box.
                I would seriously consider relocating it. Nice looking instalation other than that.

Dave Neptune

Comment

• Administrator
                  MMI Webmaster
                  • Oct 2004

Those were my two thoughts:
                  1. Shouldn't be so close to the engine.
                  2. Appears to be plumbed backwards.

Comment

• TomG
                    Afourian MVP Emeritus
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Administrator View Post
                    This thread is classic!

BTW, I admit to not having done my homework, but does the fan installation strike anyone as peculiar?

Bill
                    I was wondering about that too. When I got the boat, the blower was in the engine compartment like gmilburn's. I moved it to the lazarette near the transom (and the blower exhaust port), just to keep it away from fumes should she spark, but aren't bilge blowers all ignition protected?
                    Tom
                    "Patina"
                    1977 Tartan 30
                    Repowered with MMI A-4 2008

Comment

• ndutton
                      Afourian MVP
                      • May 2009

Hmmm, I'm not seeing what you're seeing. Tom's ignition protection comment is on the mark and West Marine specifically mentions engine room mounting in their product description.

Where does the 'plumbed backwards' camp think the inlet and outlet are? The view from behind my keyboard is the inlet is the visible duct hose no doubt routed to the bilge area under the engine (the Ericson 29 has a bilge under the engine pan) and the discharge is out the mounting flange through the wood block and into the compartment to the left. I expect there's another duct hose connected to the discharge that runs through the compartment to a deck mounted cowl vent at the stern likely on the starboard side.

What's the problem??
                      Neil
                      1977 Catalina 30
                      San Pedro, California
                      prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
                      Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• Kelly
                        Afourian MVP
                        • Oct 2004

I have to agree with Neil. It would even seem that the flexible input tube just loops down on the aft side of that plywood and comes back to the engine compartment nearer the bilge and below the fan.
                        Kelly

1964 Cheoy Lee Bermuda Ketch, Wind and Atomic powered

sigpic

Comment

• Dave Neptune
                          Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
                          • Jan 2007

Safety?

I've seen the armatures turning on functioning ignition protected fans that have rusted through. It is for this reason I like them "high and aft" in sailing vessels. In power boats with an engine room you have nowhere near the confinement issues that exist in a sailboat and I'd still rather "draw" the air than being emersed in possibly ignitable fumes. There are a lot of possible sparks from any engine, why add another?

Just my opin.

Dave Neptune

Comment

• Kelly
                            Afourian MVP
                            • Oct 2004

Well, when you get right down to it, the proximity of the fuel line and filter to the hot exhaust made me raise my eyebrows...
                            Kelly

1964 Cheoy Lee Bermuda Ketch, Wind and Atomic powered

sigpic

Comment

• romantic comedy
                              Afourian MVP
                              • May 2007

You see what happens when you post a picture of your engine?

Try posting a wife picture, LOL.

Actually, that fuel line is too close to the exhaust, I agree.

Comment

Working...
                              X