Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Discussion Topics > General Maintenance

#51   IP: 24.224.152.244
Old 12-13-2012, 09:47 PM
Afourian MVP

27 should be fine with stick up.

Hi Whippet,
I'm not really a mechanic. C&C 27 can sit with the mast up no problem and lots do it. Loosen each of the shroud turnbuckles a turn or so...don't have them too loose and put the cotter pins back in. It's a good idea to take the mast down every 3rd season and check everything.

I would not keep the mast up when using jack stands (unless on concrete and chained)... but in a cradle is good. There were a few boats go over here in 70kts + winds (different club) because the jack stands sunk into the ground and became unstable. The ground had frozen, then thawed soft and the wind then did the job. Those guys then became liable for the damage to other boats they hit.

Mine is keel stepped unlike the deck stepped 27. Most of the masts are down at our club ONLY because the crane company won't lift them out with a mast in. I come out on my trailer so I got myself out of that game and can go in and out when I wish...with the mast up.

Hope that helps you out.

"Odyssey"
1976 C&C 30 MKI

The pessimist complains about the wind.
The optimist expects it to change.
The realist adjusts the sails.
...Sir William Arthur Ward.

Last edited by Mo; 12-13-2012 at 10:05 PM.
  #52   IP: 24.224.152.244
Old 01-09-2013, 09:52 AM
Afourian MVP

checked boat today

Went to club and aboard the boat today. A bit of ice in floor of cockpit but all looked good . Batteries are maintained with demand chargers; turned engine over on starter for about 5 sec;

Good idea to turn over a winterized engine periodically.

"Odyssey"
1976 C&C 30 MKI

#53   IP: 24.224.152.244
Old 10-30-2013, 06:42 PM
Afourian MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo View Post
Went down to the boat and tried to get on with the winterization this morning. Still 30 kts of wind and everything wet outside so I didn't want to throw things off the boat. (different system than Hurricane Sandy)

A bigger problem is my gear in the garage....this morning my wife called me a hoarder....can you imagine that!!! I told her if she'd get her junk out of my garage I'd have room for my stuff.

I need to clean up the garage after all summer...for sure. Everything has it's place but when I'm playing on the boat I just pile it in there. Now I need to get the cap back on the truck; the new snow tires on her car; the trampoline in boxes in the corner; the inflatable deflated and stowed; the ladder back on the wall; those sails are junk and have to go (was saving them to build a sunshade that didn't happen; the bikes in the shed; the boat repair materials / baskets etc back where they belong; the welder off the bench and the bench cleaned up; tools put away....and somewhere in there is the beer fridge....haven't been able to access that since June!!! Now there's incentive.

Edit: Nov 1: 10 hrs working cleaning up garage; 1 pickup load gone to dumpster at yacht club still have at all the material from inside the boat, sails etc to come back...have room for that now.
That time of year again. Odyssey was pulled today, Oct 30. Winterization and a weeks work putting things away to look forward to....

"Odyssey"
1976 C&C 30 MKI

#54   IP: 207.219.69.231
Old 10-31-2013, 01:30 PM
Afourian MVP

Good to do?

Mo

PO used to do 2 winterize steps that aren't often on lists

1) pull impeller
2) loosen alternator belt

IYHO, (not sure your friends describe you with H word), do these steps have value? Not anxious to do step 1 since will get bilge full of antifreeze at this point

Thanks as usual
A4 #204381, 1980
  #55   IP: 108.202.197.197
Old 10-31-2013, 03:07 PM

Mo's Garage

Thinking about your garage, Mo, and have to ask where you get the reflective tape that is on your foul weather gear. Looks good. I want to add it to mine.
Thanks,
Howard

S/V Swimmer
Bristol 27
  #56   IP: 24.224.152.244
Old 10-31-2013, 07:20 PM
Afourian MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whippet View Post
Mo

PO used to do 2 winterize steps that aren't often on lists

1) pull impeller
2) loosen alternator belt

IYHO, (not sure your friends describe you with H word), do these steps have value? Not anxious to do step 1 since will get bilge full of antifreeze at this point

Thanks as usual
Don't worry about either

"Odyssey"
1976 C&C 30 MKI

#57   IP: 24.224.152.244
Old 10-31-2013, 07:33 PM
Afourian MVP

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcrisp View Post
Thinking about your garage, Mo, and have to ask where you get the reflective tape that is on your foul weather gear. Looks good. I want to add it to mine.
Thanks,
Howard
Howard,

That was reflective gear from the days doing medevacs / rescue stuff and working as a medic in industrial sites. It came like that. Typically it can be bought from industrial clothing outfits...I think. I find the foul weather gear made by Henry LLoyd, Gill, Gull, etc much better in the long run. A number of years back I bought some Wet Skin rain gear at Walmart...paid less than $100 for it and it work better than the stuff you see in the pic. Not as good a Gill off-shore but I find that too heavy in summer anyway.

Most of the nautical wet weather gear have minimal reflective ability and that is usually around shoulders and head because they figure people will be in the water when being searched for.

A good idea would be to have reflective tape on life jackets and life rings as well so the Helicopter lights will flash off it....amazing how reflective gear lights up under illumination or even flares.

Should be able to purchase reflective striping, that you can sew and / or stick on, at any industrial safety place.

Hope that helps.

"Odyssey"
1976 C&C 30 MKI

#58   IP: 128.183.140.38
Old 11-01-2013, 10:22 AM
Afourian MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo View Post
...Should be able to purchase reflective striping, that you can sew and / or stick on, at any industrial safety place...

Howard,

Try McMaster-Carr

http://www.mcmaster.com/#reflective-...g-tape/=p6u7eo

#59   IP: 24.224.152.244
Old 11-01-2013, 02:01 PM
Afourian MVP

Smile Antifreeze in engine today.

END OF 2012 SEASON Wednesday, Oct 30 th, I pulled the boat out on it's trailer and parked it. Yesterday we pulled the marina fingers and were supposed to do the marinas today...alas a 35 gusting to 45 kt wind made me postpone that until Nov 5th.

So I was down there this morning in the wind and rain and secured halyards etc so they wouldn't be making a racket for the neighborhood behind the club. Also fired up the engine and ran freshwater through for about 15 minutes. Then ran my 50/50 mix of auto antifreeze through. Then winterized the toilet as well...done deal on the frost issues. Water tanks and pumps are completely drained and I don't put any type of antifreeze in those.

Went ahead and centered the boat on the trailer as she was off a bit...nothing major but I like things just so. Then I leveled the boat beam to beam with a slight bow dip...my cockpit drains are forward in the cockpit so water will drain just fine now.

Tomorrow I will show a new A4 owner and his wife how to winterize their boat. After that the plan is to remove my carb, put oil in the plug holes, rags under the manifold where the carb came off... and turn it over on the starter. Always some oil comes to the carb when I do that but it lubes the valves very nicely.

Then the big job starts....getting the sails, electronics and "nautical stuff" off the boat and back to the garage for storage...that's the part I can't stand.

A few pics of the old girl. Not one barnacle on the boat this year...just a very slight slime...othewise nothing. The pic of the prop...painted with undercoat but it came out as you see it...there were allot of barnacles on boats here this year, props as well. Part of it is keeping the boat out and moving.

Odyssey went in Mar 30th and came out Oct 30th...7 full months. If I didn't have that trailer I'd loose a month in the water.
Attached Images

"Odyssey"
1976 C&C 30 MKI

Last edited by Mo; 12-12-2013 at 08:00 PM.
  #60   IP: 24.224.152.244
Old 11-02-2013, 05:14 PM
Afourian MVP

Got around to lubricating the top end of the engine today. Took a few pics of how I do things...very easy and I did another A4, besides mine, as well.

-pic one...fuel shut off via valve, carb removed, shop towel below where carb sat on manifold...carb set off to the side.
-pic two...Plugs removed...NGK XR4 plugs here, used 2 years without a problem. Plugs will let you know how well the engine is running.
-pic three..plastic cup under manifold area where you removed the carb.
-pic four...head with plugs removed. Pour some oil down each plug hole then replace the plugs. Turn over the engine on the starter and oil will get down around the valves and keep them lubricated for start up in the spring. When you turn the engine over oil will go into the cup where you removed the carb...it would otherwise go into the carb and cause problems starting in the spring.
-choice of cleaning the carb via dissassembly or just cover and leave it sitting off to the side until start up day.

-don't forget to lubricate all choke cables, shifter cables, centrifugal advance springs on distributor.
Attached Images

"Odyssey"
1976 C&C 30 MKI

Last edited by Mo; 11-02-2013 at 05:36 PM.
  #61   IP: 24.224.152.244
Old 11-02-2013, 05:45 PM
Afourian MVP

See Previous post for reference:

Pic attached is how much oil came out of the manifold when I turned the engine over....had the carb been left on it would sit in it all winter.
Attached Images

"Odyssey"
1976 C&C 30 MKI

#62   IP: 71.178.95.232
Old 11-03-2013, 11:03 PM
Afourian MVP

looking good Mo.
Always nice to see details of the tedious work like winterizing and such.

It is always a sad day when we have to put them away for a winter's nap. I have a 5 x 8 utility trailer that I haul all the interior cushions and sails and stuff home....probably quite a sight to see 1977 plaid behind a Honda Civic going down the highway.

Supposed to get near freezing tonight here, but the water is still 60°F, so I am crossing my fingers I'll be OK. Was 75° here late in the week and in the 50's during the day, so one close to freeze event should not be an issue. I'd really like to do some more sailing before the season is over!
"Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
"Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
http://www.moyermarine.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic3231_6.gif
  #63   IP: 24.224.152.244
Old 11-04-2013, 05:44 AM
Afourian MVP

Shawn, we had frost in the morning for about 2 weeks before I hauled Odyssey. Crust of ice on deck but the boat is actually warmer inside due to the water being warmer. I don't fear morning frost if it warms up during the day and the water is warm....not a big deal. Your mention of plaid cushions...plaid will come back some day and these boat interiors will be in style then. My was redone with a teal color...that's out now as well...but my wife doesn't run the boat, I do, so it stays. You know, these old boats will last for years to come when they are removed from the water yearly. When I look around the yard at the club the boats come out in wonderful shape. Generally, they are in the water 6 months of the year then on the hard for 6 months and there is nothing to hurt the fiberglass...they don't get soggy or absorb water from sitting year after year in the water. Epoxy on the bottom over the gelcoat is the answer if left in the water, but when all is said and done, I'll be dead and gone and it is quite possible someone else will be sailing odyssey. If we look at old cars, unless they were stored from day one, they need complete rebuilds to bring them back...fiberglass boats, on the other hand just need some TLC and they are 100 yr boats easy.

"Odyssey"
1976 C&C 30 MKI

Last edited by Mo; 11-04-2013 at 06:15 AM.
  #64   IP: 70.52.187.195
Old 11-04-2013, 05:39 PM

It is quite edifying to read your posts on winterizing, etc. Mo. Especially helpful as you are a northern sailor and face the same winter issues we face on Lake Ontario. Quick question: I had difficulty removing my spark plugs this Fall, thus didn't spray fogging oil into the cylinders. I did not want to break a spark plug off. I asked a local mechanic yesterday about that. He advised putting some penetrating oil around the plugs and let the oil seep in over the winter, then try pulling the plugs in spring. Sound sensible?

Second question for Mo: the top of your engine has some rust, like mine. Does that concern you? Do you plan to sand it down and paint it?

Third question: thoughts about keeping the battery plugged in over the winter (in situ in the boat). Good? Bad? Indifferent?
  #65   IP: 209.151.133.158
Old 11-04-2013, 06:42 PM
Afourian MVP

battery

Common wisdom seems to be -- take batteries home -- or at minimum make sure fully charged. I also heard once they are home, do not set them on concrete floor. That advice and 5.00 will get you a small coffee at starbucks -- but battery removal is common practice at Etobicoke YC in Toronto.
A4 #204381, 1980
  #66   IP: 24.224.152.244
Old 11-04-2013, 08:07 PM
Afourian MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregorygraham View Post
It is quite edifying to read your posts on winterizing, etc. Mo. Especially helpful as you are a northern sailor and face the same winter issues we face on Lake Ontario. Quick question: I had difficulty removing my spark plugs this Fall, thus didn't spray fogging oil into the cylinders. I did not want to break a spark plug off. I asked a local mechanic yesterday about that. He advised putting some penetrating oil around the plugs and let the oil seep in over the winter, then try pulling the plugs in spring. Sound sensible?

Second question for Mo: the top of your engine has some rust, like mine. Does that concern you? Do you plan to sand it down and paint it?

Third question: thoughts about keeping the battery plugged in over the winter (in situ in the boat). Good? Bad? Indifferent?
1 Some penetrating oil around the plugs might help take break free in spring...put lots in there and put some more every few weeks...you might get them then. I've had to take a torch in the boat, heat and remove them but didn't try the penetrating oil. Showed up one morning to winterize a boat and they wouldn't come...was in a hurry and out came the oxy / acetylene torch. Took me 30 minutes to get them all. Posts 55 to 59 in the following post is what I had to deal with.
http://www.moyermarine.com//forums/s...etylene&page=3

If you look at the pic a couple of posts back you will see my NGK spark plugs...they work pretty good and they don't rust bad at all...those were put in mid summer of 2011. When I bought them I bought 8 but haven't had to change them yet. Should get into the habit of pulling the plugs a couple of times a year because they are a good indicator of how well the engine is performing.

2 My engine came rusty like that and I had the head off, cleaned and reseated valves, manifold was changed. I didn't do a thing to it except get it running good. Has to be one of the most deceptive engines around...looks terrible, runs great.

The rust doesn't bother me but I do give it a shot of anti-corrosive spray each fall. In the pics, dog hair is sticking to said oil..the dog is a service dog for my autistic son...and there is no messing with the dog or I'll be eating that hair

I have an even better engine in the garage...one of these days I'll swap out and do it up...it just runs so good I don't want to jinx a good thing.

3 I've kept my batteries in the boat a few times...so mostly indifferent. I have automatic chargers that will kick in and charge them. This year I need to remove them, clean all terminals, load test them etc. My advice is that if they are not plugged into chargers don't leave them on the boat. I don't trust the job to solar chargers but some do without any ill effects. If left on the boat ensure wires and cables are disconnected from batteries. Freezing is a concern. My first boat I always took them home though. But my boat is now parked right next to the club so power is not a problem and I can look through a camera and see her from home.
Attached Images

"Odyssey"
1976 C&C 30 MKI

Last edited by Mo; 11-04-2013 at 09:58 PM.
  #67   IP: 71.163.9.101
Old 11-04-2013, 10:24 PM
Afourian MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregorygraham View Post
Just as a single data point, I've kept mine in the boat for the last four winters, attached to a 3-stage smart charger (Xantrex) with a temperature sensor on the batteries. This allows the charger to to adjust the charging current and voltages as needed to avoid over or undercharging. The two Group 31 gel cells were purchased in 2005 and still seem to be going strong.

#68   IP: 198.84.224.82
Old 11-04-2013, 10:42 PM

Interesting guys, thanks. Yes, I too have a smart charger with a cold temp setting and my boat is on its cradle close enough to the club house that I'm plugged in to 30 amp service.
  #69   IP: 107.0.6.242
Old 11-05-2013, 09:28 AM
Afourian MVP

Talking

I agree with the practice of keeping the batteries plugged in all the time. In fact, even though "Destiny" is in the barn for the winter the entire electrical system is "live" including the refrigerator and TV.
  #70   IP: 161.213.49.150
Old 11-05-2013, 11:27 AM
Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus

R\E Corroded Spark Plugs

G. Graham
If the engine starts and runs on all four you could try this to loosen the corroded sparks:
Start the engine and run it in gear until it gets good and warm. While the engine is running and warmed up pull a spark plug wire off and lay the socket on the plug and see if you can get it to loosen. The heat and vibration should help.

TRUE GRIT
  #71   IP: 76.11.110.224
Old 10-21-2014, 06:34 AM
Afourian MVP

Well part of the winterization is having the gear ready to take the boat, whether it be a cradle, jack stands or trailer. I rebuilt the trailer this past summer and yesterday pulled all four tires to knock rust off and paint the rims. Well, I decided to zip off the valve stems and clean up around them and put in new one. Did the first two...THEN NOTICED they were tubes

As some of you know I purchased a HD farm wagon in 2007 and made a trailer out of it...I didn't realize the tires had tubes in them....that's probably why they never lost air over the years sitting in the yard. SO ... I call Coastal Tire and tell them what I did....$62 bucks later I'm back to cleaning the rims.

"Odyssey"
1976 C&C 30 MKI

#72   IP: 24.138.22.213
Old 10-17-2015, 04:03 PM
Afourian MVP

...and that's the season for Mo

Odyssey climbed aboard her trailer this morning and took the short ride to her winter rest area. I have too much on the go right now and it was a nice morning so I pulled her. Will remove her sails and winterize her over the next couple of weeks. Actually pulled 3 boats today and we will get a few more on trailers next week if all goes well.

- I shined up the topsides 3 weeks ago and won't have to touch it next spring...that mean I can go ahead and launch the same day we put the docks in next spring.

- Bottom paint...there was nothing on her bottom so I just give it a close look and touch up next spring.

- I bought new SS grab rails for cabin top last spring...still haven't gotten around to putting them on and if time permits will do it in the coming weeks.

- Will go through my routine for winterizing (post #1 this thread) when I get a chance over the next week or so.

Just over 700 nautical miles sailed this year....that is the least I've done since I started sailing in 1999...getting slack.
Attached Images

"Odyssey"
1976 C&C 30 MKI

Last edited by Mo; 10-17-2015 at 04:10 PM.
  #73   IP: 24.224.194.51
Old 10-23-2016, 12:18 AM
Afourian MVP

Another year done.

Winterized Odyssey's engine. 50/50 automobile antifreeze, removed plugs and lubricated the top end; lubricated the ends of all cables etc with fluid film....she'll rest easy for another winter.

Next fine day I'll remove her sails, dodger, cockpit curtains then loosen the rig...and of course drain her water tanks.

Fuel tank is full with added stabilizer....should be fine.

"Odyssey"
1976 C&C 30 MKI

#74   IP: 71.178.89.202
Old 10-23-2016, 12:27 AM
Afourian MVP

Mo, You are always diligent and things always work in the spring, so you must do it right.

It was all windy here this weekend, so no boat time today..a remote chance tomorrow, if I get the rear brake pad/rotor replacement done on my car

I am really hoping for one more Indian Summer, or even a nice temperate autumn weekend, to maybe squeak in one more weekend on the boat...but I am at 38.4°N..you are way north!

"Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
"Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
http://www.moyermarine.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic3231_6.gif
  #75   IP: 24.224.194.51
Old 10-23-2016, 07:58 AM
Afourian MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by sastanley View Post
Mo, You are always diligent and things always work in the spring, so you must do it right.

It was all windy here this weekend, so no boat time today..a remote chance tomorrow, if I get the rear brake pad/rotor replacement done on my car

I am really hoping for one more Indian Summer, or even a nice temperate autumn weekend, to maybe squeak in one more weekend on the boat...but I am at 38.4°N..you are way north!

Hi Shawn,
It was a miserable day here yesterday when I did that. 30 gusting to I don't know what, heavy rain etc. Weather is supposed to be half decent this week here I think. I did it during the inclement weather because I like to get things done when I can fit them in...it wasn't cold (66F) and I didn't get that wet. Sort of have a system so it's easier every year. Still quite windy here this morning as well though.

The real pressing issue is to take a few turns off the rig, the rest can be done after a couple of days of dry weather. I generally take the sails inside the basement of the house when the weather turns a little colder and light the wood stove. With that stove going I leave the sails there for 24 hrs and then there's no moisture. I'll fold them then and put them on a shelf in the laundry room. (Pretty large laundry room and I put a shelf unit in there a couple of years ago...my sails sit on top two shelves and remain nice and dry all winter. Rest of the boat stuff is put in the garage.

Didn't sail much this year. Only got about 300 nm sailed this year. That's a guess as my old garmin chartplotter quit. It worked well for 9 years so that was honorable. I tried purchasing a couple used Garmin's, with contingency that my charts work on them. I couldn't get my charts to work on a similar unit so I ended up buying a new Raymarine Dragonfly 5"...(didn't get the 7 inch because my traveler is just forward of the binnacle on the boat ... don't want the main sheet to catch on the larger protruding unit. Anyway, so far not overly impressed with it but it will do. I did like my old garmin better but to be honest I haven't used the boat more than a couple of hours with the new chartplotter and maybe it will grow on me.

"Odyssey"
1976 C&C 30 MKI