Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Discussion Topics > Fuel System

#1   IP: 155.201.35.68
Old 06-22-2009, 04:50 PM

Carburetor service kit or Rebuilt Carb (Late Model)

New to the A4, with this being my first post to MM.

Experiencing what appears to be, after reading post after post, the normal blocked/stuck float value issue causing gas leak around choke lever and potentially leaking from or around flame arrestor. I assume leaking near the under side of the flame arrestor indicates fuel buildup, but will be checking next time on the boat.

A rather non-technical question for those that have worked this fix before: what is the benefit in buying the service kit ($87) vs. buying the rebuilt carb ($135 after core credit)............or even the new carb ($193)?

I assume the time invested in cleaning the carb added to the cost of the service kit would far outweigh the cost of buying the rebuilt carb and time invested in installing it? Input would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Brody
  #2   IP: 76.106.5.221
Old 06-22-2009, 10:18 PM
Afourian MVP

That's the way I viewed it. I've never rebuilt a carb in my life, and I figured the ~$100 difference was an insurance policy against failure. It sure was a lot easier to take out the old carb and plug the new one in, vice taking the old one home and tinkering with it for hours and then worrying if I did it all right.

You have to pick your battles, and this was one I decided to avoid. I never regretted it.
  #3   IP: 67.68.32.157
Old 06-22-2009, 10:51 PM

I agree completely and especially ... "You have to pick your battles, and this was one I decided to avoid. I never regretted it."

I have the old carb in a box in the basement and I will rebuild it one day. In the meantime, the brand new carb I installed last year is working fine and it was a simple bolt on replacement.

Dave O

Last edited by Dave O; 06-22-2009 at 10:52 PM. Reason: spelling
  #4   IP: 68.224.125.200
Old 06-23-2009, 01:09 AM
Afourian MVP

Brody-
Ditto to what DaveO and Baltimore said.
(of course, depending on your "Boat Bucks" fund)
The only thing I'd add is that I ordered extra gaskets from Ken and kept my old one.
Then took my time tearing it apart and cleaning it in my garage with no pressure to get it done and/or get it right. In the process, I learned a lot about "how it ticks".
  #5   IP: 142.68.248.124
Old 06-23-2009, 05:03 AM
Afourian MVP

I had never rebuilt a carb, but I like this kind of work, so thought I could work it out. It was the only part of the fuel distribution system I decided not to replace during the refit. I bought the rebuild kit, gave myself plenty of time over the winter to research the rebuild, read the archives and took my time with the right tools, but still had a fuel leak come spring. There are a lot of little steps where something could go amiss. I may have lost a rubber tip for the float valve somehow, or some other issue. The upside is that I now understand the carb.

Anyway, I'm cutting my losses and buying a new, professionally set up carb instead of fussing further with this 30 year old one or taking slight chances on a rebuild. The carb is so critical to safety and performance that I decided it was worth the money. I gather some of the rebuilts are 4-bolt with an aftermarket bracket to help seal upper and lower halves and some are newer 5-bolt, but the new carb is 5-bolt. The new carb comes with new screws and linkages, but the old ones on the original carb are worn. No idea what other engineering factors might be, for example whether or not a rebuilt carb has better initial build quality than a new one.
  #6   IP: 71.243.31.237
Old 06-23-2009, 08:02 AM

I haven't had carb issues (yet!) and so have not had to cross this bridge. Years ago, in working on automobile V8 engines, others always told me that us amateurs (1) rebuilt carbs unnecessarily and (2) always made things worse by doing so. Consequently, I have never rebuilt a carburetor and will, should the problem arise, buy a new one, perhaps saving the old one to take up space pending a rebuild that will probably made it worse.

Mark S
  #7   IP: 155.201.35.68
Old 06-23-2009, 12:39 PM

Thanks for all the input, this was my conclusion. I have gone the rebuilt carb route.
  #8   IP: 142.68.254.218
Old 06-27-2009, 03:36 PM
Afourian MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigspelt View Post
Anyway, I'm cutting my losses and buying a new, professionally set up carb instead of fussing further with this 30 year old one...
Wow. The new carb arrived yesterday from MMI and I installed it this morning. A few cranks to fill the carb from the electric pump, and then she fired right up. No more leaks. The difference between the new carb and old is amazing: clean, all the parts are tight, bolts and screws fit much better, linkages are better. The optional knurled idle mixture needle is a big refinement. Nice work, MMI.
  #9   IP: 69.176.196.198
Old 06-29-2009, 05:37 PM

I realize that this thread is virtually dead, but I wanted to add a contrary view. I have rebuilt a number of carburetors and the process couldn't be easier. A few cans of carb cleaner, and old toothbrush (heat and bend the shaft for better angling) and a bit of attention to detail and it's done in a few hours. It is a great way to really understand the fuel supply mechanics.