Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Discussion Topics > Fuel System

#1   IP: 66.63.77.25
Old 12-06-2008, 09:08 AM

Remote fuel shutoff

My Islander 28 has its fuel shutoff valve mounted on top of the fuel tank at the outlet of the fuel pickup. I can reach it if I kneel in the cockpit and reach into the cockpit locker and back under the cockpit. That requires that I lift the cockpit seat. It is not a serious inconvenience but it is not very convenient if you want an emergency shutoff. I know where to reach. Anyone else trying to find it by feeling their way past the exhaust hose and a bundled wire harness would not have an easy time and they would at least need to know where to start looking.

I am thinking about installing a piece of flexible linkage like a second choke cable that would open and close the fuel shutoff. If I use a heavy choke cable I can mount it right on the instrument panel. I will fabricate the bracket for the other end. Making sure its travel fully closes the valve will be most important.

Does anyone have any comments?

As I get a little older, the possibility of reducing the trips into the hull through the cockpit hatch becomes more attractive and motivating. Along with the fuel shutoff linkage I want to rig a RW valve linkage that will be a simple lever I can reach just inside the cockpit hatch to operate. A simple rod linkage should do the trick. I can see well enough from three locations to monitor the engine space without risking crippling contortions to perform those two routine tasks each time we start and stop our A-4.
  #2   IP: 66.63.77.25
Old 12-06-2008, 09:47 AM

With a little looking I did find that there are several Morse Utility Control Cables that will solve the problem perfectly.

George
  #3   IP: 64.32.196.134
Old 12-06-2008, 10:25 AM

Our boat has an electrical fuel shutoff located directly atop the fuel tank, backed-up with a petcock further down-line that can be reached either from the quarter berth access or removing the companionway steps.

Jim