Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Discussion Topics > Reversing Gear

#1   IP: 24.236.201.24
Old 06-09-2015, 08:28 PM

Need Help With Belcrank Linkage For Cal 30 Shift Lever

At the end of last year, I adjusted my forward gear due to slippage. Apparently I went one too many notches and it wouldn't come out of gear. After getting it into the slings, I made a mental note to adjust this spring before launching.

I spent the best part of the afternoon chasing that adjustment and the actual mechanical linkage that controls shifting: I definitely need some help!

Here's the questions:
  1. The shift lever attaches on the left side of the transmission and there are multiple possibilities.
  2. One is for the set screw to be forward and use the forward position of the lever.
  3. Another is set screw forward and lever nearly vertical.
  4. It can also be installed with the set screw aft and lever near vertical.
  5. Or, the lever can be clocked backward as well with the set screw aft.
  6. In addition, there are two holes that the clevis can attach to.
  7. Which lever position and hole position is used on your boat with the belcrank (long curved rod with clevis at each end) type of linkage.

As you might know, this type of linkage is like the bellcrank linkage on an older airplane that controls (mechanically) positioning of a control. There is a bolted attachment on the port side of the forward cockpit with a lever which is (based on the way it was installed) lifted to engage forward, clicked down to neutral and held down with your toe to use reverse.

Anyone with similar linkage help me on this? I'd sure like to splash on Tuesday, but have to get this rigged right first. I'm thinking that I will really loosen the forward gear adjustment more as well, but really could use info on comparison with how your system is rigged.

Thanks a bunch in advance!

Murph
Muskegon, MI
  #2   IP: 108.90.160.12
Old 06-09-2015, 08:43 PM

Greg,

I think this is confusing.

If it is true slippage the shift lever/arm on the side of the trans turns the shaft past the physical detent and then then you have it internal slippage.

From your description it sounds like you have external linkage issues. If there is lever movement on the transmission shaft there is a woodruff key that keeps the two from slipping.

On my C30 the shift cable sleeve attaches to the underside of the cabin sole, if this anchor is loose it would cause the sloppy shifting. On mine it causes a failure of reverse but that may be because my linkage connects to the transmission below the shift shaft, if you linkage is attached above the shaft this would cause forward to have an issue.

Just a guess.

Gary
78' Catalina 30 #1179
www.svknotaclew.wordpress.com
  #3   IP: 68.111.8.83
Old 06-10-2015, 01:44 AM
Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainmurph View Post
I spent the best part of the afternoon chasing that adjustment and the actual mechanical linkage that controls shifting: I definitely need some help!

Here's the questions:
  1. The shift lever attaches on the left side of the transmission and there are multiple possibilities.
  2. One is for the set screw to be forward and use the forward position of the lever.
  3. Another is set screw forward and lever nearly vertical.
  4. It can also be installed with the set screw aft and lever near vertical.
  5. Or, the lever can be clocked backward as well with the set screw aft.
  6. In addition, there are two holes that the clevis can attach to.
  7. Which lever position and hole position is used on your boat with the belcrank (long curved rod with clevis at each end) type of linkage.
Murph
There is a Cal discussion group in the forum. Maybe you could E-mail the members in that group and get them to help you out.

TRUE GRIT