MMI Webmaster
    • Oct 2004

Removing bolts with stripped heads

[YOUTUBE]_EfLTszAr7w[/YOUTUBE]

Bill
  • ndutton
    Afourian MVP
    • May 2009

Half the time he was using the open end wrenches and pliers backwards. I counted 8 instances:
    1:30, 1:36, 1:43, 9:38, 9:54, 9:57, 10:33, 10:50
    Last edited by ndutton; 09-26-2019, 11:05 PM.
    Neil
    1977 Catalina 30
    San Pedro, California
    prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
    Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• capnward
      Afourian MVP
      • Aug 2012

Please elaborate. I was unaware there was a difference between either side of an open end wrench or pliers. I always assumed that those tools are angled for better access on one side, not for more effectiveness. Apparently the angle of the handle of the tool should be in the direction of the rotation. Is this correct?

Comment

• ndutton
        Afourian MVP
        • May 2009

Originally posted by capnward View Post
        Please elaborate. Apparently the angle of the handle of the tool should be in the direction of the rotation. Is this correct?
        That's how I was taught, the tool pulls rather than pushes. It does not apply to box wrenches, they are omnidirectional.
        Learn about the different kinds of wrenches and how to use them properly and for their intended use.

The video had good information and showed a couple of extractor tools I didn't know existed so a big thanks to Bill for posting it. However, I could not avoid thinking if he's (the guy in the video) in the habit of using tools backwards it's no wonder he's so good at dealing with rounded off bolt heads.
        Last edited by ndutton; 09-28-2019, 03:21 PM.
        Neil
        1977 Catalina 30
        San Pedro, California
        prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
        Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• DDO
          • Dec 2010

Irwin Bolt Extractors... love these!

I just found Irwin bolt extractors, the rosette-like sockets, and used them to get the bolts out of the connection between A4 output coupling and shaft coupling. These sockets fit around when other wrenches couldn't reach all sides of the bolt. The bolts didn't fit any standard or metric sockets since I cleaned off great amounts of rusty chunky corrosion. I did also spray PBlaster the day before. What a great tool. No one around here had seen them before and now I sound like a walking ad for 'em!

Comment

Working...
          X