• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Boilerbob7
    Frequent Contributor
    • Oct 2010

Valve spring tool

What is the best of tool for compressing valve springs?
  • Dave Neptune
    Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
    • Jan 2007

Bob, one that fits. I made one up when replacing an exhaust valve. I did regrind the valves and kissed the seats. I modified a spring tool I had and it was frustrating. Being a machinist/mechanic I have strong fingers. I wound up just holding the spring and retainer up with one hand and installed the keepers with the other.

Dave Neptune

Comment

• Tim
      • Jul 2005

I rented a valve spring compressor from Advance Auto. Advance has an interesting tool rental program, they rent tools for free. You pay for the valve spring compressor, approximately $70, and you have 90 days to return it for a full refund. It was a larger tool than I needed, but it worked.
      Pearson 10M
      Gloucester, Va

Comment

• Al Schober
        Afourian MVP
        • Jul 2009

Tim,
        You're fortunate that it worked. These valve spring tools come with a couple of different ends to fit the spring end of the valve. My experience is that the tool you buy (or rent) will probably need a little modification. My tool is a cheapo, which I happily took the grinder to. As I tighten it, I'm careful not to get it to the distortion point, and help things loosen up with a small hammer and a drift.
        First time I did valves was on a Triumph TR-3. Made my own valve spring compressor. Put the head on the floor with a block of wood under the valve. A 2x3 with a notch in the end was the compressor, actuated by my weight.

Comment

• Tim
          • Jul 2005

Al,

The tool they rented me was actual quite nice. It came in a kit and had several different ends, one of which fit the retaining washers nicely. It also helped that I was using it in the garage instead of on the boat. I actually rented the tool twice. Once when I was tearing down the engine and again several months later after I was re assembling.
          Pearson 10M
          Gloucester, Va

Comment

• The Garbone
            • Dec 2013

Our host sells said tool for $26. I bet there are no fitment issues.
            Gary
            78' Catalina 30 #1179
            www.svknotaclew.wordpress.com

Comment

Working...
            X