Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Drawings and Schematics

#1   IP: 24.152.131.220
Old 08-20-2011, 09:27 AM
Afourian MVP

Thanked 2,208 Times in 1,425 Posts
Replacement engine harness

From another thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanleyclifford View Post
There sure is a lot of confusion around about color coding of wires and also identification of terminals on alternators. If the yacht standard gnomes wanted something to work on, this would keep them busy.
Which brings up the topic of harness replacement. My engine and instrument panel wiring was 34 years old, had two of the dreaded Catalina rubber trailer plugs and I'd added a number of systems beyond original. As I recall, the color code on Catalina's harness followed ABYC's standard pretty closely but as demonstrated in the Catalina 36 drawing in this thread and in agreement with Hanley's comment above, you simply can't trust the factory color coding.

Here's the harness I made. There are two connections mid harness: one in the purple ignition wire and the other in the ground wire feeding the electric fuel pump. Both are physically wrapped, soldered and insulated with shrink tube. Terminations are closed ring type, crimped and shrink tubed. Color coding follows ABYC's and USCG standards as best I could interpret/find them.

The table of lengths is referenced from point 'A' (cabinetry outboard of the coil). I put nails in my workbench top at the distances shown to string out the wires. The finishing touch was to encase the harness in split loom its entire length. The harness approaches the engine from the rear (coupler end), runs along the starter side and turns across the flywheel end toward the oil pressure sender port. My engine is located amidship under the dinette seat, the instrument panel is located at the transom in the starboard coaming.

There are several systems included that most won't have or need. Here's what this harness accommodates:
  • Electric fuel pump with OPSS
  • Temp and pressure alarm system
  • Electric FWC pump
  • Single wire alternator
  • Alternator driven tachometer
  • Voltmeter in instrument panel - no ammeter
  • Fuel polishing/filter purging system
Zoom in on the fine print at the upper left corner for wire gauges.

A comment on soldering
The ABYC prohibits soldered connections on boats where the solder is the sole means of connection. This is commonly interpreted to mean soldering is acceptable after use of a crimp connector. I took a broader view. I interpreted the 'sole means' as two wires laid side by side and soldered together, nothing making the connection except the solder as the prohibited means. In my harness I physically wrapped the conductors together over a generous length prior to soldering and further, insured the harness was properly supported independent of any connection or termination.

I'll certainly make a valiant argument to the ABYC police as they're hauling me to the hoosegow.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf E-5 Engine harness.pdf (18.7 KB, 323 views)
prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
Had my hands in a few others

Last edited by ndutton; 08-20-2011 at 09:51 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to ndutton For This Useful Post:
GregH (02-04-2018)

Tags
abyc, code, color, harness, uscg