Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Discussion Topics > General Maintenance

#1   IP: 24.130.94.17
Old 05-29-2020, 01:45 PM

Where is the aft drain block?

Hi, I have the Moyer manual and would like to go through the cooling system maintenance for raw water cooled engines. In the pictures, there is an aft drain block which extends several inches from the engine block. On my engine, there is no such pipe.

Does anyone know why my engine wouldn't have a pipe?

Can someone help me identify which bolt needs to be removed to execute the flush? I think it's the lower one in the attached photo but I want to make sure.

Many thanks for your help!

#2   IP: 165.225.38.121
Old 05-29-2020, 04:11 PM
Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaHarlequin View Post
Hi, I have the Moyer manual and would like to go through the cooling system maintenance for raw water cooled engines. In the pictures, there is an aft drain block which extends several inches from the engine block. On my engine, there is no such pipe.

Does anyone know why my engine wouldn't have a pipe? Pipe is only an addition recommended by MM, it does not come from factory

Can someone help me identify which bolt needs to be removed to execute the flush? I think it's the lower one in the attached photo but I want to make sure. Yes it is. But I would be very carefull in trying to remove it, depending on how solid is your block. see below
Let's be honest, if you live in any place in the country where there is a non-sailing season, and you are dying to sail right now, do not touch it, unless you are overheating right now. Do that in the fall: if that screw breaks and your block is compromised, you are tied to your dock. In the meantime, flush your block every week with fresh water sucking from a bucket.

If it ain't broken...
  #3   IP: 24.130.94.17
Old 05-29-2020, 04:41 PM

Thank you for the recommendation regarding flushing from a bucket. I had not considered the fact that removing the plug (after identifying it) might be problematic. You may have saved me countless hours of frustration -- thank you!
  #4   IP: 165.225.38.121
Old 05-29-2020, 04:48 PM
Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus

there are somewhere on this forum example of owners who have, very smartly, installed a 3 way valve at the suction of the water pump (we are talking raw water cooling configuration here of course here); it sucks either sea water, or from a 8-ish feet hose that they pull out from the engine compartment once the sailing day is finished, dump it into a bucket of fresh water, and run the engine during one of two minutes to push all raw water out of the block. No need to disconnect any hose in a cramped space etc..; clean and efficient.

The cleaning of the block via the drain is a great thing to do... if you are sure to remove that plug without breaking it or damaging the threads, or have at least the time to cope with it...

found it
http://www.moyermarineforum.com/foru...light=flushing
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Surcouf For This Useful Post:
Indy (05-30-2020), SeaHarlequin (05-31-2020)