• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • deepthought
    Frequent Contributor
    • Oct 2016

CONFUSION ALERT!

I did check the firing wiring, the odd thing I noticed is that the #1 comes off 6 O clock # 2 off the 9 O clock #3 12 and #4 3 o clock (and yes the 3 and 4 are crossed over correctly) So they follow the clockwise sequence but start differently than what I have read to be normal. I am guessing that's just the way the timing was set up on this particular engine..?

Also I did try to do a compression test yesterday, but I could not get the tester to thread into the plug receptacle all the way as to seat the O-ring to the top of the hole. I did not want to force anything. so there is about .25" of thread still showing. Would it be ok to take a wrench and giver a bit of love, or will I run the risk of pooching the thread or damage a piston head?

Again a big shout out to all of you that have shared your thoughts.

Cheers

I am going to pick up a new set of plugs, clean the cap and cables and then pull the wires one at a time with her running and make some notes. I have some MMO on hand to play with as well.

Comment

• ndutton
      Afourian MVP
      • May 2009

Your firing order is off. Starting with #1 and going clockwise around the distributor cap it should be 1-2-4-3.
      Neil
      1977 Catalina 30
      San Pedro, California
      prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
      Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
        Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
        • Nov 2008

Originally posted by ndutton View Post
        Your firing order is off. Starting with #1 and going clockwise around the distributor cap it should be 1-2-4-3.
        I'm confused that your engine even runs.
        Let's go back to home base and start from there. Turn the engine until #1 cylinder is at TDC compression. Then look to see which terminal in the distributor cap that the rotor is pointing to. Run the wires as mentioned above to the spark plugs in the correct order starting with #1 cylinder.
        Is sounds to me like your distributor has been rotated from the stock position. Even if this proves to be true your engine will run normal as long as the two conditions mentioned above are correct.
        How tight is the distributor hold down arm?
        Let's be sure the ignition is correct before we consider stuck valves, blown head gaskets, compression problems, water in the cylinder, misfiring spark plugs ect,ect...............

TRUE GRIT

Comment

• sastanley
          Afourian MVP
          • Sep 2008

John, I didn't want to confuse the issue, but you are right..we've got to get TDC and timing correct.
          -Shawn
          "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
          "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
          sigpic

Comment

• deepthought
            Frequent Contributor
            • Oct 2016

I will be making a trip to CT tomorrow. They did not have the RJ12C spark plugs but have ordered the equivalents for me to pick up.

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
              • Nov 2008

Originally posted by deepthought View Post
              I did check the firing wiring, the odd thing I noticed is that the #1 comes off 6 O clock # 2 off the 9 O clock #3 12 and #4 3 o clock (and yes the 3 and 4 are crossed over correctly) So they follow the clockwise sequence but start differently than what I have read to be normal. I am guessing that's just the way the timing was set up on this particular engine..?
              On a distributor that is wired in the original or stock manner the wire to #1 cylinder is at 9o'clock when the engine is viewed from the flywheel end, 3o'clock from the tranny end, 12o'clock from the manifold side, and 6o'clock when viewed from the distributor side.

But none of this matters. You can put the four wires anywhere you want on the distributor cap then cross them or even tie them in a knot (assuming the wires are long enough) as long as spark the engine sees is at the correct time and in the correct firing sequence you'll be good to go.

If I'm understanding deepthought's wiring sequence correctly the spark the engine sees is in the correct firing order with wires 3 & 4 crossed.

TRUE GRIT
              Attached Files

Comment

• ndutton
                Afourian MVP
                • May 2009

Perhaps there is a misunderstanding with his description. I read #2 was followed by #3 and the red flag went up right there. Plug wires are numbered by the cylinder they serve.
                Neil
                1977 Catalina 30
                San Pedro, California
                prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
                Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• sastanley
                  Afourian MVP
                  • Sep 2008

John, I understand what you are saying..it seemed to me that perhaps DT's dizzy was simply rotated 90° clockwise from what we all call the "normal" configuration, but then there was the confusion about the #3 & #4 wires in my mind too.

I say we help the n00b with his new plugs and making sure we have the timing and plug wires 'correct', and then move forward from there..one thing at a time.

Speaking of plug wires, where is rigspelt's old highlighter pen diagram???? however, that PDF you posted is certainly clear and should get everyone on the same page.
                  -Shawn
                  "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
                  sigpic

Comment

• deepthought
                    Frequent Contributor
                    • Oct 2016

New plugs today. Runs like a champ. Will post the long story soon.

Comment

• sastanley
                      Afourian MVP
                      • Sep 2008

DT, good news. I have had a bad plug plague me too (actually in #4, which has always been the weakest cylinder since I've owned the boat. ). Look forward to hearing the details.
                      -Shawn
                      sigpic

Comment

• deepthought
                        Frequent Contributor
                        • Oct 2016

oil filler hole

Looks like every A4 I see a photo of has the oil fill cap at the front (flywheel) end, on mine it's at the transmission end. It looks like there is a "knock out" at the flywheel end, but no port. Does anyone know why this is? Is there a way to change mine to the flywheel end so I don't have to do as much boat yoga to fill the oil?

Cheers

Comment

• Dave Neptune
                          • Jan 2007

Old style like yours and the newer style with the oil fill at the flywheel.

Dave Neptune

Comment

• sastanley
                            Afourian MVP
                            • Sep 2008

DT, We need some pics..but Dave Neptune is most likely correct..Sorry about the yoga...with old boats like most of us own, you are just getting trained!!
                            -Shawn
                            sigpic

Comment

Working...
                            X