Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Discussion Topics > Troubleshooting

#1   IP: 97.96.93.114
Old 06-28-2012, 10:47 PM

Engine dies after running under load

New to the A4 game. Purchased 1970 Ericson 29 with original A4. P.O said engine was rebuilt 3-4 years ago. Has mech. fuel pump and manual valve to bypass thermostat. Symptoms vary but engine has always started cold and idles well. After running in forward (the time frame varies) the engine will cut out, no clanking or running rough just- off like you turned the key. Another issue is fuel- the engine will sound like it wants to stall, at times will stall or it's fuel starved on quick throttle motion, but at some throttle Rpms will run very well, somewhat hot under heavy load for longer periods. Engine has always restarted within an hour or two after shutdown. After dealing with these two symptoms in varying degrees at intermittent times we have changed spark plugs, water separator, changed all water hoses, cleaned fuel sediment bowl, installed squeeze bulb primer between tank and separator. Water flow seems better. Today we took her out for an engine trial after implementing the last of these changes. Started right up. Stalled when given a little throttle, restarted and idled fine. Pulled out of marina and gave more throttle- sounded like it was sucking for fuel a little (losing power then revving) at certain rpm bunt found a sweet spot where we could motor 5+ mph and it sounded pretty good. Running 140 degrees 20-25 minutes into light headwind and off- just like we turned of the key- no sputter, knocking etc. Oil level was good. Would not restart even after being towed back it (it had each time before). Also water temp gauge read way high after the engine conked out 220+, but don't know of this is normal if there is no longer a flow of water. Been trying to ready the engine for longer trips, and trying to make some "improvements" but can't tell if this is a fuel issue, ignition, both or something else. Sorry to be so longwinded, just trying to be specific and weed out "check the oil" replies. "yanmar" is also not a reply I'm looking for right now, I don't expect it here although it is common advice at the marina
  #2   IP: 216.123.55.164
Old 06-29-2012, 07:25 AM

I would change the condenser. Is it a Prestolite? Check your timing for dwell angle. A change may get you through that hesitation smoothly.
  #3   IP: 206.125.176.5
Old 06-29-2012, 09:32 AM
Afourian MVP

Thumbs up

Junebug...welcome to the group. You will not hear any obscenities like "Yanmar", or "Beta" here!

I think you have more than one problem..however, we need to tackle them one at a time so that you know what part fixed which problem.

220° temp after shutdown - OK..engine still hot, no flow to cool it. 140-160° or so when running is just fine.

Sudden shutdown - Caused by a short somewhere in the ignition circuit. It could be a wire, the ignition switch (key) itself, the coil, condenser, etc. The condenser is the cheapest to replace as Sony suggested. Another trick to use to see if it is a loose/shorted wire is to place a jumper wire from the (+) of the coil to the large battery cable on the starter..this 'hot wires' the ignition circuit and provides 12v directly to the coil bypassing the entire ignition circuit. Warning - leaving this jumper wire attached if the engine is NOT running WILL burn up the coil. Only connect a jumper for testing/troubleshooting purposes and if you intend to start the motor immediately. Remove as soon as motor is off. Well, in reality, the engine won't shut off until you disconnect the jumper.

I might try this approach first at the next sudden shutdown..When the engine quits on you, attach a jumper, and try to restart..if it restarts, you have a bad wire/connection somewhere that just shorted out..if it doesn't restart, it is more likely a bad component within the circuit, like coil or condenser.

Rough running & stumbling - I would suspect a dirty idle or main jet..the idle jet takes most of the load until about 1,100 RPM, after that, the main jet takes over..I sometimes get a stumble at this transition if I throttle up too fast..You'll need to remove the carb, crack her open, clean all ports and jets, including the two tiny 'idle ports' which are in line with the carb throttle/butterfly plate..A common tool is a bread twist tie with the plastic removed, or a single strand of copper wire..carb cleaner won't get the gunk hiding in there. You'll likely need new gaskets if it has been a while since the carb was last cleaned..they usually get ruined when you take the carb off the manifold and then when you open the carb.
"Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
"Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
http://www.moyermarine.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic3231_6.gif

Last edited by sastanley; 06-29-2012 at 09:35 AM.
  #4   IP: 24.152.131.155
Old 06-29-2012, 05:17 PM
Afourian MVP

Thanked 2,208 Times in 1,425 Posts
[off topic]
Junebug,

Have you had your boat hauled out in the 2 years you've had her? Any pictures of the prop and strut??
prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
Had my hands in a few others
  #5   IP: 8.19.13.19
Old 06-29-2012, 06:46 PM
Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus

R\E Fuel Problems And Shutdowns

Then there's always my favorite since it happened to me: Blocked fuel tank vent.
Easy to test for: Run with the fuel fill cap ajar.

TRUE GRIT
  #6   IP: 97.96.93.114
Old 06-29-2012, 08:10 PM

Thanks all for taking the time. Boat was hauled surveyed when we bought it 2 months ago. Prop/shaft/strut all seemed good, confirmed by surveyor. He also recommended vent hose, forgot to mention, that was one of the first things I did (corroded, and full of gas- gassy smell in cabin eliminated after change). Engine started on third try this morning after yesterday's tow, so I was happy for today. Coil and carburetor seem to be culprits. Well see thanks again.
  #7   IP: 24.152.131.155
Old 06-29-2012, 11:02 PM
Afourian MVP

Thanked 2,208 Times in 1,425 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junebug View Post
Boat was hauled surveyed when we bought it 2 months ago. Prop/shaft/strut all seemed good, confirmed by surveyor.
I was hoping for a decent picture of a factory Ericson 29 shaft and strut for reference. Just this week we had a discussion of same and the picture I was able to find, zoom and crop was horrible.

(don't know where I got the idea you had her for 2 years, sorry)
prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
Had my hands in a few others

Tags
fuel delivery problem, ignition