• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lenzcap
    Frequent Contributor
    • Aug 2014

Looking for a good mechanic in Victoria BC

Can anyone direct me to a mechanic with A4 experience in the Victoria BC area. I need someone mobile, trustworthy and experienced.

Engine has just over 1000 hours but had a valve issue and has been sitting since. I need someone to figure out if it's worth fixing and hopefully fix it.

Thanks
  • Easy Rider
    Afourian MVP
    • Feb 2007

Gartside Marine on Harbour road in Sidney. Can't vouch for them personally but I know they have rebuilt A4's and marine engines are their business. You should try giving the guys here more information and perhaps they can help you before you have to part with $$$$.
    Chuck

71 Ranger 29

Comment

• Easy Rider
      Afourian MVP
      • Feb 2007

Had another thought. If your engine has only 1000 hrs on it, it will be worth fixing. If you ask the mechanic if it's worth fixing he might like to convince you that he has just the diesel replacement for you. Whatever the problem it shouldn't be hard to resolve. Keep us posted.
      Chuck

71 Ranger 29

Comment

• Lenzcap
        Frequent Contributor
        • Aug 2014

Thanks Easyrider. I haven't talked to those guys. I'm under the impression they might be in the replace with a diesel camp as you suggested. Either that or they want to cut the transom and mount an outboard. I don't know for sure. Don't take my word. I'll talk to them and find out.

It's not my boat. The current owner has had some health problems and can't really deal with the engine. Everyone he has talked to suggests the outboard or diesel refit without wanting to service the A4, and he is really just ready to shed that problem I think.

It's a nicely kept older boat that I might like to own. Before I decide to have the bones surveyed I want to know what it will take to get that motor running. It's been sitting a few years and I figure its got a couple valves stuck open with poor access or something. But don't really know. He said it starts but lack HP. Based on the hours, the look of it and the rest of the boat I think it has value in fixing. If it happens to be shot, I'll price up a rebuilt one and see if that would work financially. But I need to know with reasonable confidence what it will need and how much it will cost before making an offer. And if I do buy it I'll want it running asap. There is probably zero chance I'll refit to outboard or diesel.

So I'm looking for someone with some experience that can come down and get her running if that is possible.

Comment

• Mo
          Afourian MVP
          • Jun 2007

"call a friend".

I have a good buddy there at the Canadian Forces club CFSA. He is a member of this forum as well. I'll send him a message on Facebook and ask him to have a look at your post here and see what he can do.
          Mo

"Odyssey"
          1976 C&C 30 MKI

The pessimist complains about the wind.
          The optimist expects it to change.
          The realist adjusts the sails.
          ...Sir William Arthur Ward.

Comment

• Dave Neptune
            Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
            • Jan 2007

Lenzcap, I bought a boat with a seized A-4 in 1983. She was stuck big time and had a burnt valve from sticking. Now know this I have worked for most of my life as a mechanic on engines and machinery so to me it was no biggie. The boat was sold to me less what it would cost to do a diesel at that time.

It took me 4 days to get the engine spinning, apart and back together so I could get her moved down the California coast to her ne home. I had 2 weeks to do it. A month after arriving I was so impressed with how quiet and smooth the A-4 was so I built an electronic ignition I adapted from some Rotary performance engines I had been working on.

That same engine is still running, a bit weak with well over 4,000 hours that I put on her along with the previous 13 years with the 2 PO's.

I no longer have the money set aside for the diesel as I enjoyed it's cost in liquid bread and rum.

Dave Neptune

Comment

• sastanley
              Afourian MVP
              • Sep 2008

Mmmmm...liquid bread!

lenzcap, welcome..we'll do our best to help you get things going. Sounds like a compression test is the first order of business to determine what each cylinder is doing.

Time to jump in with both feet..if you may own this boat, you might as well start learning how to work on the motor & save the $$
              -Shawn
              "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
              "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
              sigpic

Comment

• Mo
                Afourian MVP
                • Jun 2007

Originally posted by Dave Neptune View Post
                Lenzcap, I bought a boat with a seized A-4 in 1983. She was stuck big time and had a burnt valve from sticking. Now know this I have worked for most of my life as a mechanic on engines and machinery so to me it was no biggie. The boat was sold to me less what it would cost to do a diesel at that time.

It took me 4 days to get the engine spinning, apart and back together so I could get her moved down the California coast to her ne home. I had 2 weeks to do it. A month after arriving I was so impressed with how quiet and smooth the A-4 was so I built an electronic ignition I adapted from some Rotary performance engines I had been working on.

That same engine is still running, a bit weak with well over 4,000 hours that I put on her along with the previous 13 years with the 2 PO's.

I no longer have the money set aside for the diesel as I enjoyed it's cost in liquid bread and rum.

Dave Neptune
                Dave,
                In the past year I have people drop off rum; beer etc for helping them. I agree, there's not much to go wrong or hard to fix as long as some effort was made to maintain these engines.

All the steel in my rebuild on the trailer came free because I helped a guy...didn't know he owned a steel supply company...you just never know!!
                Pics below are from my buddy Terry. He's a physician and was busy this spring. Myself and George launched his boat and rigged it for him. Now, Terry hangs around with us at the club when he's not on call or duty...this was found on the seat of my truck when I got back from Friday's sail. I'm having a hard time keeping up but putting in a good effort ... LOL

Be nice to see someone step up and help the guy out there. I'm sure Dana will know of someone. I think Dana must be on a cruise because I usually hear from him every day or so on Facebook.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Mo; 08-11-2014, 10:10 AM.
                Mo

"Odyssey"
                1976 C&C 30 MKI

Comment

• Dave Neptune
                  Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
                  • Jan 2007

Nice

Mo, oooh so nice! Wish I was closer as I could help you lower the bottles center of gravity a bit so they'll stand in the bar when it gets rough.

I have found more than a few packages left for myself over the years. Most in the club will provide me with parts or I get them mostly for outboards on dinghies. My general rate is a bottle of "Yukon Jack" a personal favorite, rum, scotch or a case of good ale. It is what others say that gets me the goodies of which I really appreciate as I won't charge a friend for "fun labor".

The best part is that if I need something, my friends usually have a connection somewhere.

Life is good if you treat the people in your life well, it will not only benefit them it will benefit you too!!!

Dave Neptune

Comment

• Lenzcap
                    Frequent Contributor
                    • Aug 2014

Thanks again guys. Helpful group. Really appreciate it all.

I don't want people to forget though, I've been looking to hire someone. I'm not looking for a favour for a box of beer type thing. That might dissuade someone from stepping in.

If I were to buy the boat and had some thing to reciprocate down the road then I might work on that premise occasionally. But for now I just want a good mechanic.

Comment

• sastanley
                      Afourian MVP
                      • Sep 2008

lenzcap, if you are looking to potentially buy this boat, why do you want to hire a mechanic? In my opinion, the best way to personally decide if this boat is for you is to learn as much about it as possible...paying a mechanic by the hour is not the way to do so. Again, just my opinion. When I bought my boat, I got it to the boat yard for the winter, in November, in a blow, because I was unsure of the parts I could not see underneath..I knew the parts I could see needed a lot of work. I learned later, that I wondered how the boat made it as I tore engine things apart. It was in my mind the only way to figure it out.

No one's ever left a case of beer on my boat. I bought it cheap, and I have had several friends assist me, but I started restoring my boat because I wanted to do so and thought it was worth the effort, not because a by-the-hour-mechanic said it was a good deal.
                      Last edited by sastanley; 08-11-2014, 09:48 PM.
                      -Shawn
                      "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
                      sigpic

Comment

• ndutton
                        Afourian MVP
                        • May 2009

I think the unspoken truth in this thread is the vast majority of marine mechanics are charlatans. Not all of them of course but it's exceedingly rare to find a good, honest one, rarer yet to find one even willing to work on an Atomic 4.

My observation:
                        If you're relying on a professional mechanic's services regarding the purchase and ownership of this vintage boat, it will quickly add up to an expensive pastime. There's no way I'd own my boat if I were paying someone to work on it.

Example:
                        What's an oil change worth for an Atomic 4? One very reputable SoCal marine engine business charges $500.
                        Last edited by ndutton; 08-11-2014, 10:20 PM.
                        Neil
                        1977 Catalina 30
                        San Pedro, California
                        prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
                        Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• Mo
                          Afourian MVP
                          • Jun 2007

Originally posted by ndutton View Post
                          I think the unspoken truth in this thread is the vast majority of marine mechanics are charlatans. Not all of them of course but it's exceedingly rare to find a good, honest one, rarer yet to find one even willing to work on an Atomic 4.

My observation:
                          If you're relying on a professional mechanic's services regarding the purchase and ownership of this vintage boat, it will quickly add up to an expensive pastime. There's no way I'd own my boat if I were paying someone to work on it.
                          True story Neil...have to be handy in every respect.
                          Mo

"Odyssey"
                          1976 C&C 30 MKI

Comment

• sastanley
                            Afourian MVP
                            • Sep 2008

$500? Are you serious?
                            I keep my boat at a private residence here on the East Coast..the closest marina is ~15 minutes away...they'd probably charge me travel time as well!

Lenzcap..we are only trying to help you decide if you are willing to put in the effort to learn this stuff..you'll go broke paying someone to do the work for you.
                            -Shawn
                            sigpic

Comment

• ndutton
                              Afourian MVP
                              • May 2009

Originally posted by sastanley View Post
                              $500? Are you serious?
                              Dead serious.
                              Neil
                              1977 Catalina 30
                              San Pedro, California
                              prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22