• Show
Clear All
  • ArtJ
    • Sep 2009

Engine Compartment Fire Extinquishing System

a season or two ago I contemplated adding a Fireboy extinquishing system
    to my engine compartment. I ended up not doing it because of limited space
    in the engine box. The Tartan 34c has a small fiberglass compartment/seat
    which lifts off right in the center of the main salon.

I have removed two of 4 batteries with more space available, now am reevaluating a fire extinquishing
    system. I have looked at the Fireboy systems in Hamilton Marine's Catalog.

The problem is the catalog states that they will automatically go off
    at 165 degrees F. The problem is that the engine runs at 180 degrees F
    normally and the tiny box approximately 2 ft x 3ft x 4ft (guess only)
    get much hotter normally due to engine and dry exhaust to standpipe.
    if the engine is ran for hours with the top cover on , it almost gets too hot to touch
    normally. I leave cover off on long engine runs presently.

So I would be worried that the alarm would go off automatically too early
    I called Fireboy and asked if they made a version with either a higher
    trip point or strictly manual control. Also if they had a version in which
    a hose could allow the extinquisher to be mounted remotely .
    The tech person was gone for the day, but the operator insisted
    that they automatically go off at 175 degrees F , not 165. Still too low
    for my application. She also stated it is not Halon.

Does anyone have suggestions for how to solve this issue with
    various extinquishers. I would like to be able to pull
    a cord remotely in case of fire, or have it go off around 300 degrees F??

Comments appreciated

Art
  • lat 64
    Afourian MVP
    • Oct 2008

I'm not trying to be a smart-alec, but I think if your engine box is too hot to touch, you have a fire hazard!

I wish I had your extra heat though. I could use it.

Russ
    Last edited by lat 64; 03-03-2014, 08:18 PM.
    sigpic Whiskeyjack a '68 Columbia 36 rebuilt A-4 with 2:1

"Since when is napping doing nothing?"

Comment

• ArtJ
      • Sep 2009

Not too hot to touch, but hot. That's the way the T34C runs by design.
      Even with Normal temperature on engine.

Comment

• hanleyclifford
        Afourian MVP
        • Mar 2010

In an engine room the best fire suppresant is CO 2 since it offers the restart option which you must have. Halon is no longer sold for this purpose. In your situation I would find a way to cobble a remote CO 2 B-2 unit thru a pipe and dispersal fitting in the engine room. You don't need automatic because you're going to be there when it happens. You need a chain pull manual set up that allows you to fight the fire without opening that hatch.

Comment

• romantic comedy
          Afourian MVP
          • May 2007

I had a buddy that had a halon bottle mounted on the inside of his engine box on the t 34. Far as I know it was halon. Almost 20 years ago.

Yes the t34 is a very hot enclosure. I have been trying get mine cooler for years. I am amazed that none have caught fire. Seems most guys just avoid the issue.

Comment

• hanleyclifford
            Afourian MVP
            • Mar 2010

I have a halon automatic mounted in my engine room but it is near to the bottom of acceptable pressure range. The USCG has always honored it on inspection but will not allow it to be replaced or recharged. I will soon be shopping myself.

Comment

• ArtJ
              • Sep 2009

THanks for the inputs guys. I will look into the remote co2 option

I keep the blower running always whenever the engine is running.
              I also, as mentioned above, remove the cover when running engine for extended
              periods of time.
              Thirdly, a particularly hot spot is where the dry exhaust bends upward
              at a 90 degree angle. This spot is very close to the plywood battery
              compartment corner. It originally had a plugged T there I replaced it
              with a elbow, which helped a little. I also double wrapped the area
              with exhaust wrap and covered that will a piece of stove pipe.
              The Tartan factory originally used asbestos plaster, which may have
              helped insulate that. But that is long gone before I owned the boat.

I wonder if there is a way to combine the Tartan standpipe with a
              double walled water cooled exhaust pipe for the first couple of feet instead
              of letting it be dry and wrapped only?

Best Regards
              Art

Comment

• hanleyclifford
                Afourian MVP
                • Mar 2010

Art - Is it possible to increase the size of the motor box to get more clearance?

Comment

• ArtJ
                  • Sep 2009

Hanley there is a adjacent outboard compartment that can hold 4 large
                  batteries which when only 2 are mounted has room for a extinquisher.
                  The only question is what ambient temperature can the (co2 ?) extinquisher
                  withstand.
                  To enlarge the box would be very impractical due to space constrains
                  for passage, table, bunks.

Thanks

Art

Comment

• jpian0923
                    Afourian MVP
                    • Sep 2010

For shits and giggles can you get some engine compartment temps?
                    I have a fireboy mounted about 1 foot away from my engine. It also says it goes off automatically at 165F. It never has gone off though. You might be pleasantly surprised at the temps you get.
                    "Jim"
                    S/V "Ahoi"
                    1967 Islander 29
                    Harbor Island, San Diego
                    2/7/67 A4 Engine Block date

Comment

• sastanley
                      Afourian MVP
                      • Sep 2008

Art, my hot section is only 1/2" from the bottom of my teak plywood galley cabinet. I bought some of that self-adhesive firewall insulation lots of folks put in their cars...it at least keeps the wood from catching fire by close contact and disperses the heat.

No solution for your immediate issue of an extinguishing system though.
                      -Shawn
                      "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
                      "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
                      sigpic

Comment

• romantic comedy
                        Afourian MVP
                        • May 2007

My dry exhaust section got so hot, I finally just wrapped tubing around it. Sorry but I dont know how to make the image smaller.

Try right click, then view image.
                        Attached Files

Comment

• hanleyclifford
                          Afourian MVP
                          • Mar 2010

Oddly enough this old Windows 2000 allows me to save the image from the post and resize it, but the right click and view option does not work. Shawn, help us out here. BTW, RC; that's a lot of copper - are you makin' sumpthin' down there?
                          Last edited by hanleyclifford; 07-13-2016, 08:30 PM.

Comment

• sastanley
                            Afourian MVP
                            • Sep 2008

Hanley, I use paint.NET. It is free and works on Windoze just fine..maybe even Windows 2000 according to the link. You need the Microsoft .NET framework 3.5 framework though, which it will install if needed. For a free product, this far exceeds regular old MS Paint and other products out there, although Paint will re-size pics just fine too.

Cameras on phones these days have so many megapixels they overwhelm us. I re-size all my pics with the tool mentioned above. I e-mail it to myself or move it to the HDD or whatever, and then re-size with this tool and then post it.

Like any other free product, don't fall for all the other links and free stuff on the site. Just keep an eye on what you click.

Paint.NET is free image and photo editing software for computers that run Windows.

RC, have you plumbed some antifreeze into that copper line!!?!???!?!?!?

Another trick is to use CTRL and (+) or (-) to change the total Internet browser aspect..this often works with huge pics.
                            Last edited by sastanley; 03-05-2014, 12:31 AM.
                            -Shawn
                            "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
                            "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
                            sigpic

Comment

• romantic comedy
                              Afourian MVP
                              • May 2007

I was planning on running some sort of fluid thru the tubing, probably anti freeze. It is 110 feet of 1/4 tubing. A lot of resistance. Maybe just blow air thru it. As of now, it is just there. It seems to be keeping cool enough. I have not run the engine for very long yet, so am still in the testing phase.

I think that I should have really tried to ventilate the space much better, rather then doing this. I was trying to stay more mechanical.

To run anti freeze, I might need another pump. maybe I can tee the salt water, or the anti freeze. Choices...

BTW, I have a Mac. I resized a picture a while ago, but cant remember how I did it. Cant remember much now a days. I will eventually ask wife. She loves computers.

Comment

Working...
                              X