Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Discussion Topics > Troubleshooting
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

#1   IP: 69.225.41.104
Old 07-25-2010, 02:27 PM

Unhappy Start me up, please! Intermittent problem and need suggestions.

1980 Catalina 30 with a rebuilt a-four with electronic ignition and electric fuel pump. I bought it about a year and half ago and she ran and started beautifully every time in all conditions and times of the year. I kept the tank full of gas after each use to prevent condensation on suggestion of the previous owner. I motored home after the fourth of July celebration for about three hours. Came down to race the following Wednesday and though she wanted to start and almost ran a couple of times, had to sail out of the harbor to make the start and sail back in. Took off for vacation and after a week came back, tapped the carb on suggestion of a posting here to free a possible stuck float and she started right up! I ran her at the dock in gear for about fifteen minutes while adjusting the packing gland. Shut her off and restarted her three times. Let her sit for a few minutes and put things away. Hit the starter and she purred again. I thought my problem was solved. Came back a couple hours later to take her out and same problem as before. Turns over but no start. What gives? I will replace the fuel filter today and install a pressure bulb as suggested to aid in priming. The only other thought in a thread here points to the ignition switch. I have noticed once in a while I would turn the key and get no response other than a click. Then I turn the key off and on again and she would start effortlessly. Could that be part of the problem, a connection problem caused by corrosion or bad wire or a switch problem? I've got plenty of cranking power and spark and thanks to another suggestion here I leave the water intake shut off so as not to suck water into the engine. I can also feel the electric pump working or at least running. Any suggestions on trouble shooting this would be appreciated. This is my first inboard boat and I am not all that mechanically inclined but like my equipment to function first time every time so will do what it takes. Thanks for your suggestions.
  #2   IP: 76.7.120.7
Old 07-25-2010, 04:50 PM
Afourian MVP

Welcome to the forum. Something to try. Next time it does not start pull one of the plugs and see if it is wet with fuel. That would indicate an electrical problem as you suggest. Dan S/V Marian Claire
  #3   IP: 68.173.38.216
Old 07-25-2010, 07:36 PM
Afourian MVP

Drain carb

Try Dan's suggestion above about checking the spark plugs for fuel. Pretty easy to do.
Something that has worked for us is to take out the bolt at the bottom of the carb and drain whatever fuel is in there (an ounce or 2). Catch it in a cup so you can inspect the fuel and keep the gas out of the bilge. Look for water and/or gunge floating under the fuel.
Draining the carb bowl can often help loosen up a sticking float valve pin which is a likely culprit if your fuel is not so clean.
  #4   IP: 69.0.50.104
Old 07-26-2010, 08:38 AM
Afourian MVP

If you suspect a bad ignition switch / wiring, and easy check is to run a jumper wire from battery + directly to coil +, bypassing the switch. If this changes things from 'no start' to 'runs great', then attach the switch and wiring.

Al
  #5   IP: 64.198.161.210
Old 07-26-2010, 08:56 AM

Intermittent start

We had a start problem earlier this year, worked through everything, ended up being the switch, symptoms very similar to those you have. We first changed, plugs, cap, rotor, condensor, points, rebuilt fuel pump, and bought new carb. Ended up to be the starter, when key held in start position it turned started and we had spark at plugs but apparently when we let the key go it would not run, changed the switch out and all is fine! Try it, rather cheap when compared to a new carb, especially when it sounds like yours is acting funky.
pck
  #6   IP: 75.210.123.99
Old 07-26-2010, 12:24 PM

Smile Thanks to all!

I appreciate the tips and will let you know what proved to be the gremlin.
  #7   IP: 75.208.161.242
Old 07-29-2010, 05:13 PM

Solved

Gunk in the carb was the culprit. Lots of grit and still not sure where it came from. Installed a siphon/pressure bulb, replaced the Racor element (probably long over due though gauged in hours of use not long at all) and installed a new in-line filter. Thanks to all who made suggestions. Draining the carb into a bowl and viewing the contents was a definite revelation to me. Can't explain why the intermittent starts but she's good to go now.
  #8   IP: 68.173.38.216
Old 07-30-2010, 12:15 AM
Afourian MVP

I can't explain it either but viewing the gas that was in your carburator is easy to do. It's also a tip I got from elsewhere on this forum which has worked for me several time this season.
What this all likely points to is that there is some gunge and/or water in your gas tank that is getting downstream to your carb, Draining the last few gallons and re-filling our gas tank is in my list of chores for this fall. A quick fix might just be adding about 5 more gallons to your gas tank.
I found that the pickup tube in our fuel tank is just under half way down the tank (which seems a bit high) leaving our 20 gallon tank with an effective range of over 10 gallons. Our fuel tank uses a gravity feed so this is kind of important.

Tags
starting problem, starts sometimes