X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kaiser
    • May 2005

Mechanical Fuel Pump Rebuild Question

I've recently rebuilt the mechanical fuel pump using the Moyer kit, but now noticed a slight drip from under the sediment bowl. The fit is perfectly flat between the bowl and seat (no rocking at all). I'm not certain that the sediment bowl is the source of the leak, and was thinking that it could be coming from around diaphragm. I didn't use any sort of sealing compound between the diaphragm surfaces and housings, should I have?

Thanks!
  • Don Moyer
    • Oct 2004

Kaiser,

It should not be necessary to use sealer on either side of the diaphragm, nor on the sediment bowl gasket.

I know this is not the response that you were wanting to hear (nor would I), but the fuel drippage from around the bottom of the sediment bowl is probably coming from the seal on top of the bowl. You might loosen the bail and rotate the bowl from side to side in an attempt to get a better seal.

Because of the slant of the engine (to the rear) it's also entirely possible that a small seep from one of the tapered pipe threaded fittings could be draining back along the upper housing and down along the sediment bowl.

My suggestion is to dry the area completely by closing your fuel shutoff valve, and then open the valve while observing the area with a quality control mirror. When you actually catch where the fuel is coming from, the fix will probably become clear.

Regards,

Don

Comment

Working...
    X