Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Discussion Topics > General Maintenance
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

#1   IP: 89.251.61.34
Old 09-10-2007, 07:51 AM
Afourian MVP

Major maintenance pain and pleasure

Well, I have to share the pleasure with the pain.

While not completed (my late-model A4 is still in the garage awaiting modifications underway in the boat- Cheoy Lee Bermuda 30 ketch), I was extremely gratified to hear the engine roar to life on my work bench this weekend.

Some may recall that I've traveled the road of intermittent engine quitting with restarts after 30 to 40 minutes (changed coil, condenser, ignition wiring harness, cleaned electrical contacts), over-heating (fresh-water cooled engine running at 190°F ++), chronic low oil pressure and rampant rust.

With the boat in the garden, just behind the lavander and mimosa, I undertook the daunting task of removing the engine and completely cleaning, sanding and painting everything that could be cleaned, sanded and painted. With the engine on the bench, I also dismantled for cleaning, inspection and adjustment the distributer, solenoid, starter, gear box, flywheel, valve cover (adjusted valve heights to spec), head, water pumps (2), exhaust system (copper riser and muffer), carburator, thermostats etc.

New modifications include the Pertronix Ignitor electronic ignition and the Moyer Marine oil change modification (extended pipe into the oil pan and flexible exit tube for easier oil changes).

Well, she started right up and ran like a top, albeit loudly with no exhaust system in place.

All the fretting about TDC, timing and valve adjustments ended in success- pending water trials.

Below are the before and after photos which represent about three months of evening work.

And if I can do it, ANYONE can do it.

Kelly in France
Attached Images

Last edited by Kelly; 09-12-2007 at 03:27 AM.
  #2   IP: 66.161.32.165
Old 09-10-2007, 10:19 AM

Thumbs up

Nice work Kelly!! Looks great!
www.betterbmp.com
  #3   IP: 38.118.52.41
Old 09-10-2007, 10:21 AM
MMI Webmaster

Good heavens!! That's the same engine???

Bill
  #4   IP: 76.222.236.50
Old 09-10-2007, 12:27 PM

Wow

Wow! That is awesome!

New27
  #5   IP: 138.89.229.154
Old 09-14-2007, 01:44 PM

more rust

surprising what some degreases, a wire brush and a can of paint can do

Having gone thbis faar I had ot fight off the temptaion to pull the A4 out, take it into the shop and do a complete overhaul on it, but that would have spelled the end of the season for us. Then there is the fact that I am planning to move to a larger boat soon and the 2-3K it would cost to properly rebuild this wonderfull little kicker would never be recovered.
Attached Images

#6   IP: 159.18.221.197
Old 09-14-2007, 04:02 PM

I'm so envious of both Kelly and Badabing!! Kelly because you did such a great job on your A4, and Badabing because you have such wonderful access to all parts of your engine. I'd love to get my A4 removed from my C&C Corvette and brought home for the winter for an overhaul and repaint but I'd have to design a special rig to get the engine out of the boat, rent a truck to transport it, sell my wife on the idea of converting our finished basement into a workshop for the winter (Canadian!!), and somehow getting it back into the boat in the spring. Maybe next year!