X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nyvoyager
    • Jun 2012

Stainless Steel Water Jacket Plate?

after 22 years this will be the 4th time changing out the water jacket plate.
    Has anyone tried to fabricate a stainless steel plate? or any other material with has some more longevity?
    Can i powder coat the steel plate?
  • joe_db
    Afourian MVP
    • May 2009

Here is one DIY version.
    Joe Della Barba
    Coquina
    C&C 35 MK I
    Maryland USA

Comment

• indigo
      • Jun 2007

Workaround

Why not do the “old girl” a favor and convert to FWC?

Comment

• nyvoyager
        • Jun 2012

Originally posted by joe_db View Post
        Nice work!

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
          Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
          • Nov 2008

Serial side plate failure does not sound normal to me. My boat was launched in 1979 and still has the original side plate on its RWC engine.
          This would be a good time to attempt to discover if there is an under lying cause of the side plate failures. Replacing the side plate will fix the problem but does not address the root cause of the problem - if one exists.
          I'll start the bidding by suggesting that there is a galvanic incompatibility between the side plate and the T fitting or the bolts that hold the side plate on the engine. The side plate is the sacrificial metal. This is a guess since we don't know where and how the side plates are failing. A picture of the failed side plate would be helpful.

TRUE GRIT

Comment

• Dave Neptune
            Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
            • Jan 2007

I too had a good deal of longevity with my side plate. I owned the boat for 34 years and had the same one as when I bought her. Many R&R's as well as 2 acid flushes and 4 or 5 vinegar soaks. This too was a raw water engine in salt water.

I did use a pencil zinc in the t'stat housing.

I'll bet you have a ground issue shore based or perhaps even within the engines electrical range, grounds, charging, and general connections creating something galvanic in nature.

Do your prop zincs go away rapidly?

Dave Neptune

Comment

• ndutton
              Afourian MVP
              • May 2009

If it's a stainless water jacket side plate you want, call Ken in parts to see if they have one on the shelf. Moyer Marine used to offer a stainless side plate but I couldn't find it in their catalog anymore. With your fingers crossed, they might have one left over.

Plan B, call David's Yacht Service in Santa Ana, CA (949-933-9613). He has all kinds of used A4 parts and you might get lucky there.
              Neil
              1977 Catalina 30
              San Pedro, California
              prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
              Had my hands in a few others

Comment

Working...
              X