Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Discussion Topics > Electrical

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #1   IP: 24.190.17.76
Old 08-24-2018, 08:50 PM

sudden stop

Here is the scenario and what I have checked so far .

late Model atomic 4 , No EI , no electric fuel pump and raw water cooled , this is my 2nd year with boat and the prior owners were real purists.

last night on the way back to the mooring , the motor just stopped and a local fisherman towed us the last 50 feet ..

We had been motoring for about one hour , when the engine just died .. not run out of gas like the lawn tractor ,but just died ..I went to the boat this morning thinking that the coil was bad and after cooling all night it would fire right up and I would call Ken and order new coil, bobs your uncle problem solved .( As I have read in so many posts on this forum )

Nope not to be ... I closed the raw water intake tried to crank nut it wouldn't start .

I removed the cable from the top of the distributor and the coil produced a nice .25 inch spark .

I also removed the sediment bowl , it was full of gas to the brim and had some bits of sediment on the bottom .. as the fuel pump is mechanical how do you prime it ( the prime handle moves so little and I was afraid to force it )

My plan for tomorrow is to go to the boat with starting fluid and see if it runs
on ether momentarily.. which would be indicative of a fuel line issue ?

The engine has performed flawlessly for me and we where planning a cruise next week .. but not now ..

“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing- as simply messing about in boats.”
― Kenneth Grahame