• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • roadnsky
    Afourian MVP
    • Dec 2008

Originally posted by TerryB View Post
    Well changed coil. Turns over but won’t start. Was running fine. Lots of gas.
    As Neil asked...
    What kind of coil?
    Brand
    Internal Resistance
    -Jerry

'Lone Ranger'
    sigpic
    1978 RANGER 30

Comment

• TerryB
      Frequent Contributor
      • Jun 2018

Coil

From MMI. 3.4 ohms resistance. I’m wondering if I blew a fuse. I read there is a 20 amp fuse somewhere from the starter to the coil
      C&C 27
      New Brunswick
      Canada

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
        Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
        • Nov 2008

Originally posted by TerryB View Post
        Well changed coil. Turns over but won’t start. Was running fine. Lots of gas.
        I think you are implying the engine won't start because of lack of spark?
        What testing have you done to confirm this hypothesis?
        Let's be sure of the problem before we start fixing.

TRUE GRIT

Comment

• TerryB
          Frequent Contributor
          • Jun 2018

Won’t start

So I tested voltage tp the coil and it was fine. There was spark from coil wire, from the spark plug #1 as well. I looked at gas vent, it was okay. There was fuel leading up to carb and manual pump was free. Tried starter fluid with spark arrestor removed and still no start.
          C&C 27
          New Brunswick
          Canada

Comment

• ndutton
            Afourian MVP
            • May 2009

Starter fluid and no fire indicates no spark, spark at the wrong time or no compression. Let's find out which it is.
            Neil
            1977 Catalina 30
            San Pedro, California
            prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
            Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• TerryB
              Frequent Contributor
              • Jun 2018

Solved

Well it took me awhile to figure this out but I was able to resolve all my engine woes. The boat was new to me and the initial problem was overheating. In summary I replaced the impeller, cooling hoses, water jacket side plate and installed a diverted valve just after the t junction. Don Moyer bless his heart suggested I replace the exhaust hose leading to the transom which I did. I also acid flushed engine and my overheating engine was fixed.

Then my coil died. So I replaced my coil. Spark but the engine refused to start. Checked fuel flow to carb was fine. Flow to filter was fine. Lots of fuel. So I went back to my spark and tested each plug. Good spark. I pored gas through each spark plug hole. No start. So gas wasn’t my issue. Then I looked at how my coil was wired and realized it was wrong. Switched one wire leading to alternator and it jumped to life. Such an easy fix if you know what you’re doing. I’m still learning but grateful to everyone of you who helped me through this.
              C&C 27
              New Brunswick
              Canada

Comment

• Don Moyer
                • Oct 2004

Coil wire wrong

Terry, can we assume that your field flashing wire was connected to the negative terminal of your coil rather than the positive terminal? The field flashing wire is the smaller gauge wire of the two wires normally coming from the alternator. Don

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
                  Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
                  • Nov 2008

Originally posted by Don Moyer View Post
                  Terry, can we assume that your field flashing wire was connected to the negative terminal of your coil rather than the positive terminal? The field flashing wire is the smaller gauge wire of the two wires normally coming from the alternator. Don
                  Been down this road myself. Now, before I install a new coil, I put a dot of white paint at the negative post of the coil. On my boat it is hard to see the + and - markings on the coil connections when it is installed or even when installing it.

TRUE GRIT

Comment

• TerryB
                    Frequent Contributor
                    • Jun 2018

Coil Wiring

Don, the way I have the coil wired now is three wires to the positive terminal of the coil. They come from the ignition switch, the distributor and the alternator. The only wire in the negative side of the coil returns to the distributor.
                    C&C 27
                    New Brunswick
                    Canada

Comment

• Don Moyer
                      • Oct 2004

Coil wires

Terry, assuming that you have an Ignitor electronic ignition system, make sure it's the red wire from the distributor that connects to the positive of the coil and the black wire to the negative. Don

Comment

Working...
                      X