X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Skywalker
    • Jan 2012

Coil corrosion

Hi guys, been a while. Life has offered many challenges over the past year, but it's back to boating now!

Last summer, I ran aground, got pushed up on a sand bar on a strong incoming tide. The force of the current pushed foamy water up the tube for my center board pennant and spilled onto the back of my A4. I didn't realize this at first, so I did not clean up the mess.

Over the winter, I noticed that my coil, which was only a season or two old, was corroded, so I bought a new one even though it was working apparently well.

The boats in the water now, running well with the new coil. I took the old one home, brushed off the rust with a wire wheel, and gave it a coat of rustoleum. Put the meter to it and got 3 ohms of resistance.

My question is, how durable are these bad boys? I'm debating putting this one back in and putting the new one in the spare parts box.

Any thoughts?
  • ndutton
    Afourian MVP
    • May 2009

Even though we have no evidence other than outward appearance the old coil may have been damaged, my vote is fuhget about it. The goal is a reliable engine so you want to have known-good components both installed and in the spares locker. Compared to boating expenses in general, the value of a suspect coil is peanuts.
    Neil
    1977 Catalina 30
    San Pedro, California
    prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
    Had my hands in a few others

Comment

Working...
    X