Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Discussion Topics > General Interest
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

#1   IP: 71.202.57.80
Old 10-19-2007, 08:56 AM
Frequent Contributor

A-4 sat for years

this motor was laid up for an extended time....many years in an islander 32'. the boat was in storage out of the water. the motor was rebuilt prior to storage and have begun the process of restoring it. it "appears" frozen and am unable to turn it by hand. i removed the head, exhaust manifold and starter. it's in very good shape and no rust on the cylinder walls, I'm beginning to think the gearbox is frozen from sitting so long. the question how should i approach lubricating it in the correct places to free it up? the oil on dipstick was clean and had no water in it. where to start ?
  #2   IP: 71.168.72.224
Old 10-19-2007, 11:48 AM

One of the most effective tools for loosening up stuck engines etc. is Automatic transmission fluid..... I would pour some in each cylinder and where ever else you have exposed. let it set for a day or two, then gently rotate the engine by hand...you may need a bar attached to assist in breaking things loose. Once you have things moving again, clean out the AFT and use a good grade of engine oil to lube everything.... once you get to starting the engine, you should change the oil a couple times before working it hard.

You can save the AFT fluid for cleaning other parts as you go about working on the Atomic 4.... I have successfully broken loose oil starved engines using AFT.

I would reccomend getting Don's Manuals for this engine...

Best of Luck

David