X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • senior
    • May 2012

Transmission cable hookup 79 Catalina 27

I have a 79 Catalina 27. I am installing an Atomic 4 engine. The engine compartment is empty (has been empty). I have a transmission cable and I need some sort of mount to adapt it to the transmission. Does anyone know if there is a mount available, or is just mounted to the bottom of the boat or something. I can't figure this out. Any help would be appreciated.
    Senior
  • Mo
    Afourian MVP
    • Jun 2007

Do as much as you can while you have access.

There are a few Catalina 27's on here. You might want to get pictures of the cable locations and the exhaust set-up. My boat is different from yours so I can't go into any great depth.

I've heard of access restrictions also (think that was on a C27) as well....if so you might want to correct that before filling the engine space with your engine. Again, members with the Catalina will likely chime in.

All the best'
    Mo

"Odyssey"
    1976 C&C 30 MKI

The pessimist complains about the wind.
    The optimist expects it to change.
    The realist adjusts the sails.
    ...Sir William Arthur Ward.

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
      Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
      • Nov 2008

I also have a '79 Catalina 27. Sorry I don't have a picture, but I'm stuck here several miles from the boat.
      There is a piece of L shaped angle iron bolted on top of the tranny using the two tranny cover bolts on the distributor side of the engine. The end of the angle iron is cut through one leg of the L ~ 8-10" from the end and then bent up at a 90 degree angle and welded. The piece of angle iron will look like the letter L when finished. The part that sticks up will aim towards the cockpit floor. It looks like a factory add on. This holds the cable housing in place and provides a place to fasten the stiff leg support for the hot section of the exhaust.

TRUE GRIT

Comment

• senior
        • May 2012

trannie cable attachmernt

Thank you VERY much ...Mike (senior)

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
          • Nov 2008

Forgot to mention the part sits on top of the tranny cover. None of it hangs down over the side of the tranny.

TRUE GRIT

Comment

• Loki9
            • Jul 2011

In this photo you can make out the shift cable bracket and the throttle cable bracket. I did not use these brackets in my P30 and I probably still have them. Let me know if you want them and I'll search the garage.

Jeff Taylor
            Baltic 38DP

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
              • Nov 2008

Mike
              Jeff has the part(s) you want. Bend the shift cable holder up to a 90 degree angle and you'll be in business. No modification may be necessary if both of you were\are using the same make\model of shift cable.

TRUE GRIT

Comment

• senior
                • May 2012

Thanks for the picture - great help. I can make a bracket. At least I know now where to start. (I have the older model Atomic 4, which has a little less room to mount that bracket).
                Thanks, again

Mike // senior

Comment

Working...
                X