X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The Garbone
    • Dec 2013

How did you get under the sole to anchor it? Did you cutaway the fiberglass tabbing to get access?
    Gary
    78' Catalina 30 #1179
    www.svknotaclew.wordpress.com

Comment

• romantic comedy
      Afourian MVP
      • May 2007

he said that he used sheet metal screws on the base. I figure he did not get under the base at all.

Comment

• ndutton
        Afourian MVP
        • May 2009

Romantic Comedy is correct. I did not have access below the cabin sole in that area so sheet metal screws were the preferred fasteners.
        Neil
        1977 Catalina 30
        San Pedro, California
        prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
        Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• Administrator
          MMI Webmaster
          • Oct 2004

Neil:

Doesn't someone make a fastener just for this purpose - where you don't have access to the blind side? I think I have seen these in Defender or WM...

Bill

Comment

• ndutton
            Afourian MVP
            • May 2009

Originally posted by Administrator View Post
            Doesn't someone make a fastener just for this purpose - where you don't have access to the blind side? I think I have seen these in Defender or WM...
            Entirely possible. However, sheet metal screws in fiberglass with properly sized pilot holes are incredibly strong. As I said, the table has a little movement and examining it carefully showed the movement is in the flex of the cabin sole, not the fastening system or the post-base interface. I'd prefer a full backup plate through bolted under the sole like a properly mounted winch but we do what we can do.

I didn't mention it earlier but the sacrifice I made was although removable, the table does not lower to convert into a double berth like most factory designs. My table is a table, period.
            Neil
            1977 Catalina 30
            San Pedro, California

Comment

• Marian Claire
              Afourian MVP
              • Aug 2007

After cutting into and cleaning my SS gas tank I attached the "patch" with SS pop rivets. Pop rivets are great for blind side work.
              Dan S/V Marian Claire

Comment

• sleonhard
                • Feb 2012

Table swivels

Gary sorry to have taken so long to get back to you with an answer
                I am on a three week layoff from work and have been very busy working on my boat.
                Just finished redoing the interior storage lockers and hatches, refaced the engine compartment
                and Yes the table swivels and it has worked out well as I can swivel the table away from me and kick my feet up great for watching Blacksails on tv
                or swivel it to any number of positions for eating or working on my laptop
                The mounting base was broken when I got the boat
                just less than 1/2 of the supporting upright structure was missing
                the part that tightens the base to the table so as a quick fix I put two trident clamps together and tighten it in place around the base
                a couple of drops of wd40 and a swivel table worked out nice because both of the chairs I refinished to replace the bench seating cushions swivel as well
                Wish I could tell you that it was all planned that way
                But!!
                sigpic

Comment

• ndutton
                  Afourian MVP
                  • May 2009

Update:
                  I located light pole bases very similar to the ones I used for the table support: Progress Lighting P8748-31 available just about everywhere (Home Depot, Lowe's, Amazon, many lighting suppliers too) for between $90 and $115 ea.
                  They're not cheap but they make for the most robust single post table leg system I've ever seen on a boat.
                  Neil
                  1977 Catalina 30
                  San Pedro, California

Comment

Working...
                  X