• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Siobhan
    Frequent Contributor
    • Mar 2019

Troubleshooting alternator

I’m hoping the forum can help me determine that I have made some obvious newbie mistake and not that I need to replace my old model Motorola alternator. We are testing this new to us ‘67 A4 after having replaced and rewired the whole thing. So far this is what I’ve got:

1. Wiring the ‘clip connection’ from the regulator to the pos terminal on the coil
    2. Connecting the output terminal to the pos on the starter solenoid (and this right back to the pos battery bank
    3. Wiring the ‘clip connection’ on the regulator to nothing and taking the output of the regulator off the alternator (is this the exc post?) and wiring it directly to the pos on the coil

None of these scenarios create any voltage increase when we turn the engine on. We are on the hard right now so running the engine with water spraying the cutlass bearing and raw water from a bucket by not for too long at a time. We are testing at high idle.

I understand that a lot has been written on this subject and I think I’ve read most, but any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Siobhan
    Attached Files
  • ndutton
    Afourian MVP
    • May 2009

See if this picture helps. I can see at least one errant wire in your picture.
    Attached Files
    Neil
    1977 Catalina 30
    San Pedro, California
    prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
    Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• Siobhan
      Frequent Contributor
      • Mar 2019

Exc

Yeah, that’s where the regulator attaches to the alternator (we have tested it with that attached) at the ‘exc’ terminal (I’m still a bit in the dark about the way it works). My understanding is that one trouble shooting step is to remove the regulator from the equation by connecting the alternator ‘exc’ terminal directly to the pos on the coil. That’s how it’s currently wired.

Comment

• ndutton
        Afourian MVP
        • May 2009

remove the regulator from the equation by connecting the alternator ‘exc’ terminal directly to the pos on the coil
        I've never done that so take this for what you paid ($0.00) but I would expect removing the regulator from the system would allow the output voltage to spike.
        Neil
        1977 Catalina 30
        San Pedro, California

Comment

• Siobhan
          Frequent Contributor
          • Mar 2019

Rebuild necessary

Exactly. That’s the idea. And since we’ve also removed the other possible external wiring failure as the cause by wiring the output of the alternator directly to the battery positive, it must be something internal to the alternator itself, unless there’s something I’m missing here. I guess I’ll take it to a rebuild person tomorrow

Comment

• ndutton
            Afourian MVP
            • May 2009

Replacing might cost less than rebuilding. It also might be an excellent opportunity for an upgrade.
            Neil
            1977 Catalina 30
            San Pedro, California

Comment

Working...
            X