How much voltage drop at Starter while cranking?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • joe_db
    Afourian MVP
    • May 2009

If you really want to find the issue, connect one lead of your voltmeter to the coil + and the other lead to the battery + and crank the engine. The reading will be the voltage drop. Ideally it should be 0. If it is much higher than say 0.5 volts, you might want to work your way upstream and see where the voltage drop is coming from.
    Joe Della Barba
    Coquina
    C&C 35 MK I
    Maryland USA

Comment

• hanleyclifford
      Afourian MVP
      • Mar 2010

Hot wiring from S terminal on the solenoid is the just about the same as the "R whimp"; just do the whimp and we can both argue with Bro Neil.

Comment

• ndutton
        Afourian MVP
        • May 2009

Originally posted by hanleyclifford View Post
        just do the whimp and we can both argue with Bro Neil.
        No argument. If a work-around of the real problem is a suitable solution, go for it.
        Neil
        1977 Catalina 30
        San Pedro, California
        prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
        Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• 67c&ccorv
          Afourian MVP
          • Dec 2008

+1 with Neil on that.

Comment

• hanleyclifford
            Afourian MVP
            • Mar 2010

Originally posted by ndutton View Post
            No argument. If a work-around of the real problem is a suitable solution, go for it.
            The "real" solution is probably a major re-wire of the electrical system; meanwhile I think Jack just wants to use the boat.

Comment

• ndutton
              Afourian MVP
              • May 2009

Originally posted by hanleyclifford View Post
              The "real" solution is probably a major re-wire of the electrical system; meanwhile I think Jack just wants to use the boat.
              . . . and the real problem will persist, perhaps even degrade. I've never seen one improve on its own. It's been going on a while too. This thread alone is six months old and the problem existed before that.

In time it will finally degrade to a point that . . . . aw, never mind.
              Neil
              1977 Catalina 30
              San Pedro, California

Comment

• JackConnick
                • Nov 2004

R Terminal

Ok, as I said I narrowed it down to:

Hot wired: starts fine. No hot wire, a lot of cranking.

As before; new batteries, coil, plugs. I have magnetic ignition. Rewired "purple" wire with about 7' of #14. Battery wires to and from were replaced a while back and all are in good shape and inspected. I get a good strong spark from the coil.

The fact that the boat starts fine while hotwired eliminates them. I did notice quite a bit of voltage drop-off while cranking - (starter??). Late model engine.

I looked at the solenoid yesterday and it's all late-model, but other than the "S" term with the white wire, and the larger Battery term, there was another term, sort of in-between in size that had some sort of rubber piece on it. Hard to see, exactly as I was using a mirror, access is poor. I'm thinking this is an external ground to the starter? But I didn't think the later models had those. I'm a little confused that there is an "R" terminal...

...and sure, I want to fix it right...

So I think what I'm down to is that the ignition goes through the instrument panel, jumps from gauge to gauge with #12 wire with the white wire on the first one (or last one). I think I should replace the white wire, and maybe also run a jumper around the gauges, as well as leaving them wired.

I mean there's not much left, and with the hot-wire acid test that sort of narrows it down, right??

Jack

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
                  Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
                  • Nov 2008

Originally posted by JackConnick View Post
                  As before; new batteries, coil, plugs. I have magnetic ignition. Rewired "purple" wire with about 7' of #14. Battery wires to and from were replaced a while back and all are in good shape and inspected. I get a good strong spark from the coil.
                  The fact that the boat starts fine while hotwired eliminates them. I did notice quite a bit of voltage drop-off while cranking - (starter??). Late model engine.
                  I looked at the solenoid yesterday and it's all late-model, but other than the "S" term with the white wire, and the larger Battery term, there was another term, sort of in-between in size that had some sort of rubber piece on it. Hard to see, exactly as I was using a mirror, access is poor. I'm thinking this is an external ground to the starter? But I didn't think the later models had those. I'm a little confused that there is an "R" terminal...
                  ...and sure, I want to fix it right...
                  So I think what I'm down to is that the ignition goes through the instrument panel, jumps from gauge to gauge with #12 wire with the white wire on the first one (or last one). I think I should replace the white wire, and maybe also run a jumper around the gauges, as well as leaving them wired.
                  I mean there's not much left, and with the hot-wire acid test that sort of narrows it down, right??
                  Jack
                  I got so sick and tired of this kind of monkey business on my boat that I finally did a global rewiring of the engine, gauges, ignition, and everything else associated. All end connectors are crimped, soldered, and heat shrunk. Got rid of all the trailer type plugs. It's one soild wire from A->B except for the in line fuses I added.
                  Problem(s) solved.

TRUE GRIT

Comment

• JonnyQuest
                    • Aug 2010

Originally posted by JOHN COOKSON View Post
                    I got so sick and tired of this kind of monkey business on my boat that I finally did a global rewiring of the engine, gauges, ignition, and everything else associated. All end connectors are crimped, soldered, and heat shrunk. Got rid of all the trailer type plugs. It's one soild wire from A->B except for the in line fuses I added.
                    Problem(s) solved.

TRUE GRIT
                    Good for you John; I'm still Monkeying around with mine
                    Started my A4 up for the first time this spring and measured 13.x volts at battery-- gotta recheck my alternator wiring and see what's amiss. --Normally measures 14.x on mine.
                    JonnyQuest
                    Boatless right now.
                    (Last boat, a fine 27' O'Day 1975)
                    MS Gulf Coast

Comment

• JackConnick
                      • Nov 2004

More discoussion with Don

He seems to think if it's running fine after starting that the starter is drawing too many amps while cranking and is making a weak circuit bad. Sound like I need to pull and check the starter... groan.

Jack

Comment

• JonnyQuest
                        • Aug 2010

With all the checks you have done so far and replacing with new batteries, checking the starter sounds reasonable. I pulled mine and took it to a local shop for bench testing last fall. My problem was bad batteries, which you have eliminated from your list of suspects.

While the starter was off I gave the exposed area of the engine behind the starter a good knock down with a wire brush and degreaser and touched up the paint. Good opportunity.
                        JonnyQuest
                        Boatless right now.
                        (Last boat, a fine 27' O'Day 1975)
                        MS Gulf Coast

Comment

• ndutton
                          Afourian MVP
                          • May 2009

Originally posted by JackConnick View Post
                          Please describe exactly what you mean by "hot wired." Does it mean:

1. #14 wire from a battery post to the coil + terminal?

or

2. Jumper from the battery post to the solenoid "S" terminal to activate starter?
                          Neil
                          1977 Catalina 30
                          San Pedro, California

Comment

• JackConnick
                            • Nov 2004

Neil;

Jumped from large battery connection of solenoid to + of coil. So essentially from battery to coil.

Jack

Comment

• ndutton
                              Afourian MVP
                              • May 2009

I don't understand the logic

The only change with the hot wire in place is bypassing the ignition circuitry to and from the ignition switch and the switch itself. Same starter, same solenoid, same starter wiring, same starter load, cranks fine with or without the hot wire.

So the starter/solenoid/starter wiring is now suspect? I don't see why, it's working fine and the test with the hot wire proves it.

Based solely on the successful hot wire test I'd replace the ignition wiring, the supply from the battery to the ignition switch (red), the load from the switch to the coil + (purple) and the switch itself. Make it as first class as you can. Red supply should be #10 minimum, I'd bump the purple load up to #12, tinned wire all around with terminals crimped, soldered and shrink tubed. The switch should be marine grade, if a combination start and ignition keyswitch, 30 amp rating would be nice.
                              Last edited by ndutton; 05-03-2014, 08:26 AM.
                              Neil
                              1977 Catalina 30
                              San Pedro, California

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
                                Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
                                • Nov 2008

If you are resorting to jumper wires it's time to rewire. Here's why: If the wiring is in such poor shape that you need a jumper wire across part of it there is a very good probability that some other part of the wiring will go out soon. Usually at the most inopportune time............Been There. Done it. Didn't like it.

If you need coaching with soldering technique let us know.

TRUE GRIT

Comment

Working...
                                X