X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tony201
    • Jan 2009

replaced stuffing box today

First of all please excuse the pictures if the're to big, I've never posted here before but I've read the more pictures the better .
    I'm in the SF Bay area so our weather here is mild compared to you East Coast guys, I rember thoes days, Was born in Fairhaven.
    I guess its that time of the year for the dreaded maintiance so why not get started.
    While reading about the packing boxes I thought I'd check mine out, Not good, while loosening the jam nut it broke in two.
    It seems nothing is standard in size when it comes to the threads on the lock and packing nuts so had to get the whole unit, hose, clamps & packing box from Svendsen's in Alameda , $68.40, not bad.
    Made sure everything was loose and redy to come apart and did it in the water at the dock.
    I think you can see water shooting out the shaft tube.
    Tony

[ATTACH]7458[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]7459[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]7460[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]7461[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]7462[/ATTACH]

Comment

• Kelly
      Afourian MVP
      • Oct 2004

Wow! Cavernous room around the aft section of that A4. Amazing...
      Kelly

1964 Cheoy Lee Bermuda Ketch, Wind and Atomic powered

sigpic

Comment

• sastanley
        Afourian MVP
        • Sep 2008

Great work Tony...I am sure it felt like the boat was sinking, but how much really came in during the swap out?

You are making everyone jealous with all the working area you have.
        -Shawn
        "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
        "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
        sigpic

Comment

• Kelly
          Afourian MVP
          • Oct 2004

Now that I think about those pictures, it looks like the shaft is just sitting there in the shaft log while the water is streaming in. If it had been me, I think my first born would have been down there with his hand bolted to the shaft...I would have been tremendously worried that the shaft slowly slip out of the boat JUST before I could grab it. Glub, glub, plunk.

But I guess the cutlass bearing was holding it...?
          Kelly

1964 Cheoy Lee Bermuda Ketch, Wind and Atomic powered

sigpic

Comment

• lat 64
            Afourian MVP
            • Oct 2008

Originally posted by edwardc View Post
            It's simple: just remove the engine and pull the coupler!

Didn't Ford build one of the original Mustangs with a large engine where it was impossible to remove one of the spark plugs?
            This is a very good point. Good on ya Ed!
            You would not even have to undo the gas line or any of the wires. This would work on my boat but maybe the engine mounts would not slide on Bigeye's.

It seems Ed is always the one to step back a bit and look at a new angle.

Niel,
            Horray for the Cat 22, My first "big" boat too.
            sigpic Whiskeyjack a '68 Columbia 36 rebuilt A-4 with 2:1

"Since when is napping doing nothing?"

Comment

• lat 64
              Afourian MVP
              • Oct 2008

Originally posted by edwardc View Post
              It's simple: just remove the engine and pull the coupler!

Didn't Ford build one of the original Mustangs with a large engine where it was impossible to remove one of the spark plugs?
              This is a very good point. Good on ya Ed!
              You would not even have to undo the gas line or any of the wires. This would work on my boat but maybe the engine mounts would not slide on Bigeye's.

It seems Ed is always the one to step back a bit and look at a new angle.

Neil,
              Horray for the Cat 22, My first "big" boat too.

Regarding hard-to-reach spark plugs; Torino, Chevy Astro, Toyota siena, the list is long
              Last edited by lat 64; 04-02-2013, 01:50 PM. Reason: Spelled Neil's name wrong again!
              sigpic Whiskeyjack a '68 Columbia 36 rebuilt A-4 with 2:1

"Since when is napping doing nothing?"

Comment

• mikeysail
                • Mar 2012

What a setup!!

Jerry, that is one awesome engine compartment. Plus, I'm envious of your stuffing box- plenty of room to repack or adjust things.

That pic is certainly inspiring!!
                Mike

Comment

• roadnsky
                  Afourian MVP
                  • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Mo View Post
                  Jerry...every time I see your engine compartment I look with envy at the cleanliness and neatness. Nice hot exhaust sitting back there as well.

You do run a tight ship, congratulations on keeping her so.
                  Originally posted by mikeysail View Post
                  Jerry, that is one awesome engine compartment. Plus, I'm envious of your stuffing box- plenty of room to repack or adjust things.

That pic is certainly inspiring!!
                  Mike

Thank you Gents.
                  I am blessed to sail in a very NON-corrosive environment.
                  Even though Neil thinks the tributary is the River Styx!
                  Attached Files
                  -Jerry

'Lone Ranger'
                  sigpic
                  1978 RANGER 30

Comment

• Bigeye
                    • Jul 2010

Stuffing Box Temporary Solution

When we last left our intrepid sailor, he was trying to figure out how to deal with a fast dripping stuffing box in his Sabre 28 with almost no room on the shaft or access to the box. No idea when the PO last changed out the material.

After I hit the box with PB Blaster several times, the yard mechanic managed to get one wrench on the nuts and loosened them a bit. Then he said he tightened down the big nut. He said to watch it when the boat went in the water. No drips with engine off.

A fuel delivery issue kept me on the mooring for a while and I wanted to wait until I had a good long run before I reported that the drip has been slowed greatly to a normal rate!

So, I have a reprieve and must decide whether to pull the engine into the salon to get at everything this off season.

Thanks,

Big Eye

Comment

• ndutton
                      Afourian MVP
                      • May 2009

Consider that at some point (worn out packing) tightening the stuffing box applies more friction to the shaft resulting in more load on the engine and shaft wear. The engine load can reach a point where it will stall the engine when idling in gear.

If you experience a stall immediately preceded by a squeal, that's it.

Voice of experience here.
                      Neil
                      1977 Catalina 30
                      San Pedro, California
                      prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
                      Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• hanleyclifford
                        Afourian MVP
                        • Mar 2010

Looking at that picture I would suggest that once the engine is out you should make every effort to develop more space between the nut and the coupling. It looks like you could saw off maybe an inch of the threaded tube and you might also be able to shorten the hose to the minimum.

Comment

• Bigeye
                          • Jul 2010

Stuffing Box Temporary Solution

Thanks for the warning. Engine idling well. Shuts down smoothly. In fact everything sounds better than ever and the boat really zips along without even approaching full throttle!

Big Eye

Comment

• Dave Neptune
                            Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
                            • Jan 2007

Mustang

Ed, I had a good friend with a 428 CJ Mustang with the "Shaker Scoop" that was like that. We cut an access panel in the fender well so we could get to it from under the car. A real PIA but a very fast car.

Dave Neptune

Comment

• jwmurphy
                              • Oct 2012

Bristol 27: No room for stuffing box service

Like your Saber my Bristol 27 has no room to back the packing nut off and has horrible access.

The first time I had to repack I ended up cutting the shaft (bronze) with a hacksaw blade and removing the shaft. I replaced the rubber log and cutless bearing while I was at it.

The more times I repacked the easier it got but, its not fun. Now I have a SS shaft (can't find any bronze anymore) and have to "persuade" the shaft out.

It goes without saying, If you pull the shaft make sure you get the Set Screw(s) installed correctly. Apparently, last year when I pulled the shaft, I screwed up the set screw and the shaft pulled out resulting in grounding and being blown onto a lee shore. Because I was taking on water (and could not steer the due to the shaft wedged being between the hull and rudder) SeaTow claimed salvage at $100/ft.

Jim

Comment

• Hiker_00
                                • Aug 2008

It works in my S28

Click image for larger version

Name:	028.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	194547

There is room in this boat to replace the packing. I've done it multiple times. The Shaft coupler job is a job and a half. I used both a dremel with a cut off wheel and an angle grinder to split the coupler and remove the shaft. Other methods of using a stack of dimes or socket do not work in these boats with such limited access.

You get just a strand at a time and do your best. I"ve never fit more than 3 strands.

Best of luck and sorry if this is already answered in previous posts.

Tim

Comment

Working...
                                X