• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hanleyclifford
    Afourian MVP
    • Mar 2010

One of the best I've heard

Apparantly this engine was rebuilt 24 years ago and then just sat in a garage. Was full of auto antifreeze. The appearance of the cylinders from the water jacket side was one of very low hours and the sound of the engine running bears out this impression, Not even the usual "tick tick" in the area of the accessory drive. Color me green.

Comment

• PT26
      • Mar 2012

Couplers Won't Couple

Everything seems to be running wonderfully and we are now working on aligning and coupling the shaft to the gear box.

They will not snap together. Any suggestions?

Click image for larger version

Name:	shaft-align.gif
Views:	1
Size:	147.8 KB
ID:	193055

Click image for larger version

Name:	shaft-align-2.gif
Views:	1
Size:	169.0 KB
ID:	193056
      Paul
      S/V PT26
      1971 Grampian G26 W/A4

"The Devil never comes to you with a pitchfork and a ball of fire"

Comment

• Marian Claire
        Afourian MVP
        • Aug 2007

PT: Hope I have the terms right. Is the issue the space between the prop shaft coupling and the drive shaft coupling? Could you make a "spacer" to fill the gap and use longer bolts? The bolts carry the load anyway right??? Its late. Dan S/V Marian Claire

Comment

• hanleyclifford
          Afourian MVP
          • Mar 2010

The issue is indeed the space between the two couplers. A suspicion is growing that the nut may not be the correct one but may in fact be a generic "jam" nut which is thicker. This will be investigated tomorrow.

Comment

• PT26
            • Mar 2012

Dan,

I had a similar thought. If I had the room, the shaft saver piece (a sacrificial spacer for lack of a better explanation) that came in the boxes of stuff would be the perfect spacer and may have solved this issue...
            Last edited by PT26; 04-20-2012, 10:56 PM.
            Paul
            S/V PT26
            1971 Grampian G26 W/A4

Comment

• Marian Claire
              Afourian MVP
              • Aug 2007

PT: I remember seeing those pieces and as I placed them together I noticed the hole patten was slightly different between the two. Hope the one you need works or that I was just spacing out. Dan S/V Marian Claire
              Edit: I have a few of those pieces/spacers/couplings from a direct drive in my spares here. I plan to head to the MC tonight or Sun AM. Will bring them with me just in-case.
              Last edited by Marian Claire; 04-21-2012, 06:51 AM.

Comment

• Marian Claire
                Afourian MVP
                • Aug 2007

The spacer I have is 1" thick, 3.5" across. The recess is 1 7/8" across and 5/8" deep. The holes match up with the prop shaft coupler I have. It is for a 7/8" shaft I believe. Will be on the road soon. Call my cell if any of this can be used. Dan S/V Marian Claire

Comment

• PT26
                  • Mar 2012

Finished

We really had a hard time trying to get the two couplings to go together.
                  The three of us had our own theory so we tried them all one by one only to find that none were the culprit.
                  Hanley was on to something though... The coupling must have been hit with a mallet or hammer when installed and buggered up the male part of the coupling by the motor re-builder.
                  It was also possible that the female part had a bur of some sort.

The solution we came up with was to carefully clean out the female part and try to get it as smooth as possible, this proved to be very hard to do due to the limited space.
                  The second was to leave them uncoupled and start the engine and using two different files letting the coupling turn and very carefully cut the male side down and smooth it with the file. this was a slow process because we didn't want to take off to much and ruin the coupling or put a flat spot on it.
                  Much to our surprise we have completed the matching of the coupling and have it within four thousandths and the alignment is good with no shaft wobble
                  The motor mount sleds have proven to be less than desirable and when we get home this is on the to do list to fix!

Our test run has proven to be a success and we will be leaving here at the first sign of good weather.

I have learned so much on this project and am so thankful to my friend Hanley for all of his help.

All the best
                  Paul
                  Paul
                  S/V PT26
                  1971 Grampian G26 W/A4

Comment

• Mo
                    Afourian MVP
                    • Jun 2007

That there is the difference between mechanics and Afourians....good job!
                    Mo

"Odyssey"
                    1976 C&C 30 MKI

The pessimist complains about the wind.
                    The optimist expects it to change.
                    The realist adjusts the sails.
                    ...Sir William Arthur Ward.

Comment

• Marian Claire
                      Afourian MVP
                      • Aug 2007

Yep. Today would have been no fun on the Neuse. Have a good run north and be safe out there. Dan S/V Marian Claire

Comment

• PT26
                        • Mar 2012

We left Oriental this morning around 7am and have made it up the Nuese and across the Pamlico to anchor up in Pungo Creek around 3:30 this afternoon. Although the weather turned a bit cold and fowl, the ride was great.

The motor sounded wonderful today and aside from a little hiccup that we are attributing to the coil possibly getting too hot, everything went well. At our next stop we'll be looking for another or a larger coil resistor.

Also the cooling on the motor is so efficient that we'll be altering a little plumbing when we get to Elizabeth City, I'll post pictures when we get there of the current set-up and what we do to modify it. Right now we're using a system based on the idea of preferential flow to help warm the engine as we are running without a thermostat and we are using the "Tom Thatch" modification for water flow through the manifold.
                        Paul
                        S/V PT26
                        1971 Grampian G26 W/A4

Comment

• hanleyclifford
                          Afourian MVP
                          • Mar 2010

Also, at the Alligator River anchorage we moved the coil+ feed to the OPSS so the circuit now has the electric fuel pump and ignition together. Voltage at coil+ dropped to 10.75 and performance was satisfactory with cool coil.

Comment

• Sony2000
                            • Dec 2011

Regarding the fuel pump and ignition modification, are you saying that the ignition wire + and the pump wire + are taken from the + of the battery in a bench test situation, or the key "on" terminal, in the boat?
                            Resulting in a cooler coil! What is OPSS?

Comment

• hanleyclifford
                              Afourian MVP
                              • Mar 2010

Sorry I wasn't clear. What I meant is that the ignition switch now feeds the oil pressure safety switch (OPSS) and the switch feeds both coil+ and the electric fuel pump. Since the coil already has a .8 ohm external resistor, the voltage at coil+ tested at 10.75V.

Comment

• PT26
                                • Mar 2012

I am glad we made this change when we did it would have been bad to loose the coil in the sound. The engine ran so smooth, motor sailing at hull speed just above idle to charge up batteries. It was an Ideal day to sail

Now today I am going for all new filters, I don't like to make more than one change at a time.
                                Also when this is complete we are looking at making a change to the raw water flow. Even when we recirculate it takes some time to heat up the engine but then when we give it more water it cools off to fast and runs to cold.

I am tempted to wait just for the reason that I am going to FW when we get the boat home.
                                I am sure I will have to remove some of this to do the FW system or maybe not... Could this still be of some value?.

I am guessing it won't hurt to run cool for a few days or so until we get here?
                                Paul
                                S/V PT26
                                1971 Grampian G26 W/A4

Comment

Working...
                                X