Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Discussion Topics > Links of Particular Interest

#1   IP: 24.224.206.117
Old 09-06-2011, 10:39 AM
Afourian MVP

Yard trailer to haul 30 footer.

I imagine not everyone lives near a club with a travel lift. At our club they hire cranes to launch and recover boats every year and the expense is considerable.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VxRVnm3x5E

I built my trailer in June 2007. My boat was to arrive from Cape Cod in July 2007 on a truck. I wanted to have something ready to sit her in and launch her when I had the refurb done. Since that time I've been able to pull to clean the bottom, pull out for season, launch whenever I want, and I can pull for Hurricanes. It has already saved me in crane costs more than it cost to build it. Bought a FARM WAGON and turned it over to keep it low; they have external grease fittings for bearings and steering; very low maintenance.

If I have to pull for a hurricane in the next little while I'll take a video of the haul-out. It takes about 20 minutes from the time I go into the parking lot...the actual recovery from the boat leaving her dock until she is on the hard is about 3 minutes. The longest part is setting the trailer out deep enough.

-Tie small rope on pads so they don't move under water (will notice in video)
- put front pads 18 inches under water. If tide is low tie a rope on the trailer and let it go out until the pads are in place.
-Tie onto Dodge Cummins
-Drive boat into guide and keel will hit the stop rope
-keep boat in forward gear and increase throttle 1/4 to hold her in place.
-Wave for truck to pull and boat settles where she should be...perfect every time. Pull her staight out...no fooling to see if she is right...she will be.

"Odyssey"
1976 C&C 30 MKI

The pessimist complains about the wind.
The optimist expects it to change.
The realist adjusts the sails.
...Sir William Arthur Ward.

Last edited by Mo; 09-06-2011 at 11:03 PM.
  #2   IP: 206.230.48.37
Old 09-06-2011, 04:13 PM
Afourian MVP

That's a great design. How did you get the angles and lengths of the supporting arms right before you had the boat to measure against?

The weakness is, it takes up a lot of space: width on the ramp, and square footage during storage. These might not be problems at a lot of places but it is in some.

My club doesn't have a travel lift either but requires members to have folding cradles that are stacked 5-8 high in the back lot all summer. The tidal railway ramp we use employs a motor which is fairly close to the forward edge of the rail car - it wouldn't be possible to place a truck and a trailer ahead of the boat to launch or recover.
  #3   IP: 24.224.206.117
Old 09-06-2011, 05:34 PM
Afourian MVP

Smile hardest part was deciding to do it.

Tenders,

I measured a sister-boat C&C 30 on the hard, measured distance from waterline to keel depth, and the distance between and where the bulkheads were located. The jack-stands are for scaffolding...even if they are close they can be adjusted. They can support 25000 lbs each.

The beam of the boat is much wider than the trailer and we are permitted to have a cradle in the yard without being folded. I have seen a railway launch and recovery and they work well.

Attached is a pic July 17th this year; I sprayed off the bottom and put "polyglow" on the hull.
Attached Images

"Odyssey"
1976 C&C 30 MKI

Last edited by Mo; 09-06-2011 at 09:37 PM. Reason: put in a better photo showing beam...
  #4   IP: 75.253.6.244
Old 09-06-2011, 05:35 PM

I've built and modified trailers and it has never crossed my mind to put the axles at the corners and to use a steering axle. Excellent design, with the adjustable pads, it could be rented out for bottom cleaning or any type of out of water repairs and put right back in the water without any assistance or added cost. Very very nice, Thanks for the video. As a note they sell this type of trailer (frame) at Army Surplus stores in the states.
  #5   IP: 209.124.198.180
Old 09-06-2011, 06:20 PM

Is this trailer street legal? Would be awesome if you could haul your boat over the road with it.
  #6   IP: 24.224.206.117
Old 09-06-2011, 06:26 PM
Afourian MVP

Smile

Hi Carl,
I had a tandum axle done for my C&C 24....when I went to pull that boat they'd gather on the shore to see what would go wrong today...there was always something and it never happened first shot...this one in the pic is the result of trying to correct and eliminate hazards of nearly every screw-up in the book.

Boy's if you can get your hands on surplus axles...wow...that's the way to go.

"Odyssey"
1976 C&C 30 MKI

#7   IP: 24.224.206.117
Old 09-06-2011, 06:39 PM
Afourian MVP

Smile

Will,
Not street legal. Here I can get a permit to pull the boat on side roads from DOT. I didn't know it at the time I took the boat to the house... found that out later. It was done as soon as the boat arrived. I have a magnetic flashing amber light, magnetic tail-lights on a long harness that runs the length of the trailer to the truck. Magnetic amber for the truck also...there's a 3rd kicking around the garage there somewhere too because I bought it for Bill's follow car.

I hauled it 3.5 km to the house when I first got the boat and did my refurb in my yard where the garage, tools etc were close.

10mph is fast enough for it. The dodge cummins will take off with trailer and boat...it's the stopping that has to be planned ahead...LOL. I think I built the whole thing for about 3K so it's already paid for itself. I followed decent but I had to be wary of power lines...didn't have any trouble though.

"Odyssey"
1976 C&C 30 MKI

#8   IP: 138.88.71.68
Old 09-06-2011, 09:33 PM
Afourian MVP

Thumbs up

MO..ingenuity at its best.

Nice work. I can certainly see the limitations to street legality, but having a dedicated place to set your boat upon when you want it on the hard is priceless.

the problem we have around here with any boat ramps (all public accessible that I am aware of) is the dummies with power boats that get the bow to the aft roller and throttle the boat up onto the trailer which creates weird bottom contours near the edge of the concrete..you could never accommodate a boat with a keel around here at a ramp.
"Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
"Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
http://www.moyermarine.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic3231_6.gif
  #9   IP: 24.224.206.117
Old 09-06-2011, 09:49 PM
Afourian MVP

Smile I allowed it to be used for another C&C 30..only

Carl,
You mentioned renting it out for use. I'd only let someone else with a C&C 30 use it. Reason being that the front pads and middle pads have to exactly where they are. Once the keel goes into the guide and I feel it hit the stop rope it's all forward motion from there. The boat stays in forward gear, throttle up and truck starts pulling. There is no one in the water to adjust the pads. Just me on the boat and one guy driving the truck....maybe a camera guy next time.

Picture this: the keel is against the stop rope at the front of the guide. Her hull may or may not be touching the pads yet. Forward power on boat keeps the keel into the stop point. The truck starts pulling the trailer and the boat continues as the trailer rises out of the water the boat settles onto the pads exactly on her bulkheads. There is no jarring or bumping...just a smooth transition from floating to sitting with keel on the trailer supported by the pads. If the pads are off...then that would create a hastle and then going into the water and trial and error until it's close enough.

"Odyssey"
1976 C&C 30 MKI

#10   IP: 24.224.206.117
Old 09-06-2011, 09:57 PM
Afourian MVP

Shawn,
We had the same problem at the club. Actually had to put divers in the water to sort it out....they now have an extension they have to use. Past couple of years been really good. With my old boat and the tandem trailer that was always the problem...the trailer would see-saw....what a nightmare.

"Odyssey"
1976 C&C 30 MKI

#11   IP: 69.99.171.192
Old 09-09-2011, 12:50 AM

Maurice, I understand what you're saying, going into the water on the rock, yikes.... you don't want to do that in your skivvies!!! Keeping the hull against the stop with the engine and driving the truck out, Oh yeah smooth as silk. Thanks for sharing the pictures.
  #12   IP: 216.231.103.19
Old 09-09-2011, 10:03 AM

I am seriously thinking about trading in my trailer for a ramp launchable trailer for my R28 with 5' keel. I like the way you have the braces for sliding the keel into it's spot. Likewise, I will also add sling pockets to the bunks so that if I have to have it hoisted the crane will have a place to put the sling in between the bunks and the boat.

Cheers!
  #13   IP: 24.224.206.117
Old 09-09-2011, 01:51 PM
Afourian MVP

Smile good stuff.

Best thing to do Will is to measure your bulkheads, keel ...everything while you have it out on your trailer next time. You have to build something like what I have...they don't make them as a rule.

Once your cradle is done, lift with a crane or travel lift onto the new one...then you build the guide. Note on mine that I have extended the frame back about 4 feet from the rear axel. That allows for the guide to break out into a "V" in case you are off on your approach...will take your prop off if you miss. I didn't have that happen but I've seen it and those guys can't pull when the weather turns for s*&t.

I once pulled in 20kts that was building during a tropical storm...for what it costs it's worth it. That was the year the peanut gallery was watching thinking this would work like my old tandem trailer...nailed it first shot..about 2 minutes from dock to parking lot. Lew Huelan came to me later and told me he made $60 buck and 7 beer at the bar on bets...I had to help him with those beers and the $60 worth of beer. He's a machinist...and he knew it was golden.

All the best with it Will...it works like a charm...any questions just email or PM me.

"Odyssey"
1976 C&C 30 MKI

#14   IP: 24.224.152.244
Old 06-12-2013, 08:58 PM
Afourian MVP

Smile taking her out.

[YOUTUBE]sJiIPAqy1oA[/YOUTUBE]

One of the guys wanted a video of the boat being hauled out....so here it is. I had it on there somewhere before. Not much dirt on the bottom of her...good paint. The only thing I need to change here is a walkie talkie for me and the driver. This was taken last summer when I took her out for a cleaning and to check my keel...racing bloopper It is some convenient to be able to haul ... takes about 20 minutes from the time I come in the parking lot until she's at the top of the ramp.

"Odyssey"
1976 C&C 30 MKI

Last edited by Mo; 06-12-2013 at 09:05 PM.