X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NatySailor
    • Aug 2015

New alternator mystery - high voltage

Can anyone explain why I'm reading 17+ V out of my new alternator (purchased from Moyer within the last two weeks)?

I'm getting this reading with a multimeter where I have the red lead on the output "B" terminal of the alternator, grounded on the engine block.

When I check the voltage at the solenoid large terminal, I get around 12.5V. My built-in (Moyer/analog) voltmeter also reads 12.5V, so does a little additional voltmeter which plugs into the cigarette lighter adapter. (To be clear: all of these reading are with the engine running).

The batteries are freshly charged, and I get the same reading with the battery switch set to battery 1 (start) or 2 (house)

I double-checked the wiring today (which was redone recently), and the only departure from the Moyer wiring diagram, is that the alternator output "B" terminal goes directly to the large terminal on the solenoid, instead of through an amp meter and the "batt" terminal on the ignition switch. (And I'm pretty sure this is what the directions on the alternator said to do if you don't have an amp meter).

The engine starts and runs great, but with this high reading I'm afraid to damage my batteries and electronics.

Can anyone explain this so I can relax?

Thanks in advance!
    Dennis

P.S. I did not buy the high capacity alternator that Moyer sells, it's the $230 model, and this is an early model engine.
  • ndutton
    Afourian MVP
    • May 2009

Is there any chance in the past two weeks that the battery was switched off with the engine running, even for an instant?
    Neil
    1977 Catalina 30
    San Pedro, California
    prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
    Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• joe_db
      Afourian MVP
      • May 2009

Alternator - 17 volts
      Battery - 12.5 volts
      These two things are not connected to each other
      Joe Della Barba
      Coquina
      C&C 35 MK I
      Maryland USA

Comment

• NatySailor
        • Aug 2015

Originally posted by joe_db View Post
        Alternator - 17 volts
        Battery - 12.5 volts
        These two things are not connected to each other
        Except as a way to double-check the reading coming off the meter.

Comment

• NatySailor
          • Aug 2015

Originally posted by ndutton View Post
          Is there any chance in the past two weeks that the battery was switched off with the engine running, even for an instant?
          Almost sure not. Are you asking because that could damage the alternator/voltage regulator?

Comment

• ndutton
            Afourian MVP
            • May 2009

Are you asking because that could damage the alternator/voltage regulator?
            Yes. Your symptom, although not yet conclusive, is typical of damage due to a voltage spike from running without a battery connected. Can you provide either pictures or a diagram of your actual installation wiring so we can have a better look?
            Neil
            1977 Catalina 30
            San Pedro, California

Comment

• tenders
              Afourian MVP
              • May 2007

Originally posted by NatySailor View Post
              Except as a way to double-check the reading coming off the meter.
              I think Joe means that your double-check has failed. You can't be showing a 4.5 volt differential between two places on the same circuit. If the batteries are reasonably fresh, 12.5 volts is a sign that the alternator isn't connecting to them. 17 volts from the alternator is ALSO sign that the batteries aren't connected to the alternator.

Bad connection from the alternator? Broken wire? Badly corroded wire from alternator?

Comment

• ndutton
                Afourian MVP
                • May 2009

Hey Naty, any resolution?
                Neil
                1977 Catalina 30
                San Pedro, California

Comment

• joe_db
                  Afourian MVP
                  • May 2009

Originally posted by tenders View Post
                  I think Joe means that your double-check has failed. You can't be showing a 4.5 volt differential between two places on the same circuit. If the batteries are reasonably fresh, 12.5 volts is a sign that the alternator isn't connecting to them. 17 volts from the alternator is ALSO sign that the batteries aren't connected to the alternator.

Bad connection from the alternator? Broken wire? Badly corroded wire from alternator?
                  Exactly - there is no way you can have that much differential across a reasonably intact wire. If you got a Moyer one-wire, run a nice thick wire (8 gauge or thicker) straight from the alternator to the heavy battery cable connection on the starter and then tell us what you get.
                  Joe Della Barba
                  Coquina
                  C&C 35 MK I
                  Maryland USA

Comment

• Al Schober
                    Afourian MVP
                    • Jul 2009

In all this voltage checking, don't forget to check the other side of the circuit - the ground between the engine/alternator and battery negative. I've had strange things happen because of a) bad ground between alternator and block, and b) bad ground cable to/from engine.

Comment

• tmcdonagh
                      • Oct 2017

Voltage reads 16+ volts

I ran into this same problem this weekend while motoring back to the mooring. My new Balmar smart gauge that was throwing code 4 (Battery voltage above acceptable level for selected battery type). My chartplotter was also displaying 16V. I was charging my house battery. As I was in a rocky inlet, I had no choice but to continue on. When I could safely stop the engine but still not at the mooring. I switched the battery selector to both, restarted the engine and continued on. At that point, the voltage was 13.5 volts. After picking up the mooring, I stopped the engine and noted the voltage drop for both batteries at 12.7 volts after resting. All connections seemed secure and no changes has been made other than connecting the Balmar. Suggestions?

Thanks,

Tom
                      s/v Servus
                      S/V SERVUS
                      Tartan 30
                      Hull number 513

Comment

• joe_db
                        Afourian MVP
                        • May 2009

Describe your alternator and regulator setup. My regulator will do this if the sense or ground wires get loose.
                        Joe Della Barba
                        Coquina
                        C&C 35 MK I
                        Maryland USA

Comment

Working...
                        X