Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Discussion Topics > Troubleshooting

#1   IP: 166.137.240.118
Old 04-01-2017, 07:49 PM
Frequent Contributor

Spring startup problem. Fuel pump?

Hi everyone,

I have a 1974 Atomic 4 with a mechanical fuel pump. My engine was running well in October and November after I bought the boat and installed a new carburetor, new seawater pump and a new high capacity alternator. The boat was stored for the winter in the water in Atlantic City NJ. I followed the winterization procedure as far as antifreeze and miracle oil in the crankcase and upper cylinders, but did nothing to the fuel system except add stabilizer to the fuel.

This spring, with my seawater valve closed, I've tried cranking the engine but to no avail. My fuel shut-off valve is open and I confirmed that fuel flows out of the fuel filter just due to gravity. The fuel bowl looks full and clear. When I pull the fuel pump primer arm, it seems to pump a bit of fuel on the first pull, and then takes some time before it returns to where I can pump it again. Is this normal?

I tried starting fluid today and it runs for a few seconds each time, so I don't think that it's valves, or ignition. Should I be looking at my fuel pump or carburetor?
  #2   IP: 148.74.164.249
Old 04-02-2017, 08:34 AM

Welcome to the forum! This forum is a tremendous resource and there are lots of incredibly smart people here. Not sure I'm one of them, but the following is from first hand experience.

A couple of things I'm stating here are obvious safety recommendations -- nothing implied, but we don't know each other.

Couple of things to try.. First, do you have a Moyer Service and Overhaul Manual? If not, order one! Sounds like a fuel problem. First, verify the fuel petcock is open. I would try emptying the sediment bowl (empty it into another container, not the bilge). Check the sediment bowl gasket to make certain it's in good shape. I had one disintegrate (ethanol?) which caused issues. With the sediment bowl on or off, try the priming bail again and see if it is moving fuel (if you're doing this with the bowl off, use a small container to capture fuel). The bail should not be sluggish to return as you describe. If it's still sluggish, I might guess one of the valves inside the fuel are stuck. To get at them, you'll need to remove the fuel pump and open it up (do it over a small box and be careful not to lose any of the springs, caps and bits). You may want to order a rebuild kit (Product No. - FPMP_13_320) so you can replace gaskets while you're there. There are two dime-sized valves in the lower half and a retainer clamp over the two. Note their orientation for when you reassemble -- the valves are identical, but one face up and the other faces down. The valves are a little delicate but can get stuck over an extended period (shellacked fuel?). A small screw driver poked inside will free them up. The rebuild kit includes replacement valves if you just decide to replace them. While you have the fuel pump open, verify the integrity of the diaphragm also and replace if necessary (also in the rebuild kit). The rebuild kit also includes step by step instructions.

While you have the fuel pump off, replace the mounting bolts with allen bolts -- a lot easier to get the fuel pump on and off.

While you're overhauling your fuel system, do you have a polishing filter installed before the carb? If no, highly recommended and very inexpensive. If yes, do you know when it was changed? (I write the date in Sharpie on the side and keep written maintenance log)

Be careful about fumes while doing this -- run your blower and and ventilate the engine compartment for a bit before you trying cranking it over again.

Others will chime in with other suggestions and some will recommend a electric fuel pump. Nothing wrong with a mechanical pump, IMO.
  #3   IP: 72.69.36.126
Old 04-02-2017, 10:27 AM
Afourian MVP

You've done a good job troubleshooting the problem to hone in on the fuel system. My guess would be that you added fuel stabilizer to the tank but didn't run it thoroughly through the system, so the fuel between the tank and the engine is mostly unstabilized. If you bought the boat last fall, who knows how how old that fuel was.

To rule the new carb in or out I'd suggest an elegant but barbaric test: run a few feet of fuel hose from it up to the cockpit and hoseclamp a funnel to it, kept level. Fill the line with gas that's been treated generously with Seafoam--just up to the tip of the funnel, the funnel doesn't have to be full--and see if the engine will run. You're basically substituting gravity for a fuel pump for fuel pressure. If she runs, it's the pump, not the carb.

Count me among the fans of the electric pump. It's cheaper and easier to replace, and slightly easier to troubleshoot.

Confession: I treat my fuel with Sta-Bil year round for all my non-automotive engines - A4, snow thrower, power washer. When you're buying gas for these things you never really know how soon or late the last use of the season is going to be.
  #4   IP: 166.216.165.16
Old 04-02-2017, 10:52 AM
Frequent Contributor

Thanks for the advice. I do have a manual but don't have a polishing filter. I assume it installs on the metal line between the pump and carb? How do I install it? Is this a Moyer part or West Marine? For the moment though I just need to get the boat moved to a yard as I have other work to get done. How do I remove the sediment bowl?
  #5   IP: 166.216.165.16
Old 04-02-2017, 10:55 AM
Frequent Contributor

Tenders, you're right. I probably didn't run it enough to get stabil through the lines. How do you hook a hose to that metal line between the pump and carb? And what is Seafoam?
  #6   IP: 72.194.218.130
Old 04-02-2017, 11:05 AM
Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus

Fuel Pressure Gauge!

Another welcome to the forum.
While you are dealing with this problem you might consider a fuel pressure gauge between the fuel pump and the carb. If will give you instant diagnosis if there is a problem with the carburetor or the fuel pump and\or something before the fuel pump. To isolate and the fuel pump and carburetor run a hose from an auxiliary tank directly to the fuel pump. This will bypass the boat's part of the fuel system.
Divide and conquer. I find it easier when troubleshooting fuel and ignition systems to troubleshoot the boat's part and the engine's part separately. This eliminates a lot of guessing and the associated "drama".

TRUE GRIT

PS: As mentioned do buy a copy of the Moyer manual. It is an investment that will pay big dividends.

Edit: Just read you have the manual. Well done. To hook the polishing filter up ditch the copper tube and install barbs on the fuel pump and carburetor. MMI has a filter "kit" that comes with the filter, hose and barbs.

Last edited by JOHN COOKSON; 04-02-2017 at 11:11 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to JOHN COOKSON For This Useful Post:
Oldlaxer1 (04-03-2017)
  #7   IP: 72.69.36.126
Old 04-02-2017, 11:09 AM
Afourian MVP

Ah, copper lines. Those can be replaced with rubber hoses and will probably require some simple fitting replacements too (brass barbs). This makes patching in the temporary funnel line (or, potentially, even a temporary fuel tank from the cockpit) much easier. I think we use 3/16 or 1/4" black rubber fuel hose that is rated for ethanol fuel.

I think on my installation I replaced all the copper with rubber except for the little scavenge tube that runs from the throat of the carb.

"Seafoam" is a bottle of fuel treatment you can get at WalMart or auto parts stores. Despite its name it is not a particularly marine-focused product. It's supposedly a fuel stabilizer, but for that I prefer Sta-Bil; I use Seafoam as a solvent in acute situations like yours where something needs to be cleaned out or diluted. I'm guessing it is just some kind of naptha.

But under normal conditions the only stuff I put into my fuel are Marvel Mystery Oil (A4 only; it definitely reduces sticking valves on my engine) and Sta-Bil.

EDIT: oh yeah, the polishing filter, this is just a little inline thing you patch into the (rubber) hose between the pump and the carb. Marine installations require metal filter housings, not glass or plastic, the downside of this being that you can't see what's going on inside the filter. If your current issue is bad fuel in the carb, the polishing filter would not have helped.

And a second for John Cookson's suggestion of an inline fuel pressure gauge. An even easier way to identify with a high degree of certainty whether the fuel pump is working properly and pushing about 3psi. $20 on Amazon, settle for the 0-15psi gauge and do not bother looking for 0-5psi gauges because they do not exist.

(Now, these pumps are made of plastic and we can debate why we are OK with plastic fuel pressure gauges but are not OK with plastic polishing filters...it is possible that the USGC does not in fact approve of plastic fuel pressure gauges.)

Last edited by tenders; 04-02-2017 at 11:16 AM.
  #8   IP: 97.93.89.70
Old 04-02-2017, 11:19 AM

Thanked 1,289 Times in 839 Posts
Wes, I'd be looking at the carb. The metal line you speak of WAS quite common in the past. Most all of the metal lines have been replaced by USCG approved fuel lines by now.

The operation of the pump you described is normal. The bail will "stall" when the line and PERHAPS the carb have been pressurized. I say perhaps the carb since it does not run once started with "Motor Crack (either)". This tells me the valves and the timing or spark timing are OK!!!

Now to the carb~if you can look into the throat of the carb do you see any fuel puddleing in the throat of the carb? OR remove the main jet plug at the bottom of the carb and be ready to catch some fuel in a clear glass container for inspection. Check closely for water or just plain ole krud or gooh. If the carb is dry IE no fuel the needle & seat are stuck. Sometimes a light tap with a solid object to the carb will shake the needle loose.

You can also remove the metal line from the carb and actuate the bail to look at the fuel again in a clear container.

If you find that there is any fuel contamination you should replace all of the lines from the tank to the carb and install fresh filters at the same time and unfortunately all this fixes is the delivery as the contamination is still in the tank. This is the reason to test with an alternate tank and NONE fresh fuel.

Hopefully you just have a stuck needle & seat.

Dave Neptune
  #9   IP: 166.216.165.16
Old 04-02-2017, 01:10 PM
Frequent Contributor

I removed the flame arrestor and there was no fuel in the throat of the carb. I removed the screw on the bottom of the carb and captured the fuel. No water, no crud or goo, but there were some particles that look like fine sand. I was told when I bought the boat that it had sat in the yard for 7 years and there was some fuel tank contamination, but that it had been cleaned up. I put at least 15 hours on the engine last fall, and she was running fine.

I pumped the fuel pump primer a few times, and it feeds more fuel to the bowl. Does this mean my fuel pump is ok? What's the next step with the carb?
  #10   IP: 166.216.165.16
Old 04-02-2017, 01:17 PM
Frequent Contributor

Update. I just noticed a thin layer of white chalky crud on the inside of the drain plug. Can I take it apart and clean it or am I wasting my time?
  #11   IP: 72.194.218.130
Old 04-02-2017, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesHeald View Post
I pumped the fuel pump primer a few times, and it feeds more fuel to the bowl. Does this mean my fuel pump is ok? What's the next step with the carb?
Disassemble the carb, clean it up internally, and rebuild it. The problem won't be solved until you can figure out the source of the crud, most likely the fuel tank. You could try disconnecting the line after the fuel pump, operating the fuel pump, and catching some gas in a clear jar and holding it up to the sun to see if there is any visible crud. This would also verify operation of the fuel pump.
The ethanol laced stuff they sell as gasoline these days can do strange things to a fuel system especially if left to sit.

TRUE GRIT
  #12   IP: 166.216.165.16
Old 04-02-2017, 02:39 PM
Frequent Contributor

Any particular solvents you'd recommend for cleaning it? The carb was new 6 months ago. Am I going to need a rebuild kit? What if I soak the whole carb in some sort of solvent?
  #13   IP: 24.152.132.65
Old 04-02-2017, 04:30 PM
Afourian MVP

Thanked 2,208 Times in 1,425 Posts
After full disassembly I soak mine in any solvent available such as acetone or denatured alcohol. It's important to clean the tiny holes inside the carb throat too. I use a welder's tip cleaning tool (various sizes of wire) and compressed air. Cleanliness is Godliness.

Also, I didn't recall it being mentioned, be certain the choke is closing fully. If it isn't you don't stand a chance of starting.
prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
Had my hands in a few others
  #14   IP: 174.192.20.147
Old 04-02-2017, 05:06 PM

Fuel Pressure Gauge

Good 0-5 and 0-10 psig gauges do exist at a moderate price,

https://www.dwyer-inst.com/Product/S...0LPG5#ordering

Dwyer is a manufacturer of very good industrial and commercial gauges. Be wary of vendor/manufacturers that do not specify what process fluid they are designed for, and not designed for. There are materials that will weaken or dissolve in the presence of ethanol or gasoline. If those materials are in a gauge in your fuel line, you might find the gauge (at best) wildly inaccurate, or (at worst) leaking gasoline. Note: The gauge body and lens material can be metal or plastic - BUT, the "wetted surface", those parts in contact with the process fluid, must be compatible with gasoline and ethanol. That means metal guts (hose/pipe connection fittings, bourdon tube, etc).

The Coast Guard has a detailed standard on fuel system design and installation. Neil Dutton has provided a copy here:

http://www.moyermarine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9280

A good manufacturer will always list, or tell you, what fluids the wetted parts are or aren't compatible with. The below link gives an idea of the compatibility of polyethylene for seals in, for example, ball valves (i.e. fuel shutoff, which also must be USCG approved).

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/pe...nce-d_329.html

Another consideration often discussed in this forum is damping the gauge needle. With both mechanical and electric pumps, the gauge needle will bounce wildly with pump pulsations. Over time this can damage the gauge. There are three common ways to fix this:

1. Cheap. Insert an orifice fitting to the gauge. Something like .008" will do: http://www.mcmaster.com/nav/enter.asp?partnum=3820K27

2. Expensive. A needle valve. Adjusting the needle in gives a smaller orifice. Turning it all the way in shuts off fluid to the gauge, allowing gauge removal. Again, select carefully: the body and needle seals must be gasoline/ethanol rated.

3. Moderate. A fluid-filled gage. Here a viscous fluid, often silicone, fills the space between the gauge face and lens.

In 1) and 3) you might want to install a small ball valve to allow mess-less gauge removal and isolation.

http://www.mcmaster.com/nav/enter.asp?partnum=4912K2
Attached Images

#15   IP: 76.179.119.203
Old 04-02-2017, 07:28 PM

Wes - another welcome to the forum!

I've had good luck with any of the carb cleaning sprays from your local auto parts store. My standard advice: WEAR SAFETY GLASSES. The carb is like a funky dribble glass and fluid under pressure may squirt at you from tiny holes. DAMHIKT.

Really small music wire (e.g. any one of the first three guitar strings) will fit through the smallest orifices.

Also - the rebuild kit is not too expensive and pretty easy to install, if you get that far into it.

S/V Bunny Planet
1971 Bristol 29 #169
The Following User Says Thank You to BunnyPlanet169 For This Useful Post:
sastanley (04-02-2017)
  #16   IP: 32.211.28.40
Old 04-02-2017, 08:38 PM
Afourian MVP

Wes,
Any crud in the fuel system ends up in the carb. I lost half a sailing season chasing corrosion products that were coming from the polishing filter between the pump and the carb! Yep, the metal of the filter body was corroding & sending c..p into the carb.
My recommendations are to a) change your filters often - two years is plenty, and b) carry a spare, clean carb.
Ethanol fuels are NOT your friend. Protect yourself.
  #17   IP: 71.178.83.106
Old 04-02-2017, 09:33 PM
Afourian MVP

Another welcome. I am reaching here a bit but this happened to me just today.

I pulled the distributor this winter to lube up the distributor advance weights. Before I did that I set the motor to TDC..I reinstalled the distributor and tried to fire the motor up today, but she would not fire until I rotated the dizzy quite a bit (15° or so) to get the motor to fire. I might be off a tooth on the distributor which I can easily fix by another yank and reinstall..but I did get it to run when I rotated the dizzy enough to match up with the coil firing.
"Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
"Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
http://www.moyermarine.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic3231_6.gif
  #18   IP: 72.69.36.126
Old 04-02-2017, 10:20 PM
Afourian MVP

Moyer should offer a proper 5psi fuel gauge kit if these really exist. I looked around for one several years ago, and I think discussed it here, but was unable to find anything that was clearly rated for gasoline. I don't doubt tac's word on this but I do doubt my own ability and motivation to assemble the right parts when I already have a cheapie in place (that runs to 15psi but that does tell me when the fuel pump is working).
  #19   IP: 71.179.226.138
Old 04-03-2017, 08:52 AM

I had an issue earlier this year where mine would start but not run without the choke on. Apparently in winterizing the MMO or the process of adding it to the cylinders partially clogged the main jet. I had been meaning to put in the adjustable main jet anyway and once I did it ran fine.
I too would highly recommend both a polishing filter and a pressure gauge just before the carb. The gauge helped me identify an intermittent problem connection to the electric fuel pump at the fuse panel.
1973 Tartan 30 #186
Baltimore, MD
  #20   IP: 166.137.240.50
Old 04-03-2017, 09:29 AM
Frequent Contributor

Success! At least partially. I took off the flame arrestor and sprayed Gumout carb/choke and parts cleaner (lots of it) down the throat of the carb with the choke fully open and the throttle closed. I was hoping that a bit would fly into the main discharge nozzle. She fired right oup, fully choked after 2 cranks. I opened the seawater valve and water is flowing.

But now, every time I open the choke fully, it stalls out. Is this an adjustment? Or more cleaning? Or waiting for it to fully warm up?

Wes
  #21   IP: 161.213.49.150
Old 04-03-2017, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesHeald View Post
Success! But now, every time I open the choke fully, it stalls out. Is this an adjustment? Or more cleaning? Or waiting for it to fully warm up?
Wes
Are you opening the choke fully before the engine is warmed up and it stalls? It is normal to have to use progressively less choke as the A4 engine warms up to avoid stalling. In fact this indicates that the air fuel mixture is not to rich and is somewhere near correct.
Dave N. are you logged on? Perhaps you can fine tune this.
However, if you need to use partial choke to keep the engine running or power up when it is fully warmed you are running to lean. Naturally all of the above assumes the choke is correctly adjusted.

TRUE GRIT
  #22   IP: 76.179.119.203
Old 04-03-2017, 11:02 AM

Full choke means the engine is a bit starved for fuel. I think you're only partway there to resolution.

Here's a thread with a great cutaway diagram of the carb from Bill.

https://www.moyermarine.com/forums/s...ead.php?t=3169

You can see the internal passages that just aren't going to get clean without some disassembly. Taking the carb off and splitting the halves for simple cleaning is really easy - I think it's worth doing.

S/V Bunny Planet
1971 Bristol 29 #169
  #23   IP: 173.243.201.34
Old 04-07-2017, 01:44 PM
Frequent Contributor

I just want to say thanks to everyone for their contributions. I finally did remove the carburetor, separated the halves and cleaned everything out. Now she starts up right away and runs smoothly.

I guess I was spoiled by my Honda 9.9 four stroke on my MacGregor 26. My winterization procedure was to run the fuel out of the carburetor until it stalled and leave it locked upright on the transom of the boat. In the spring, I changed the oil, primed it and started it.

I plan on taking the boat south to the Caribbean where it's cheap to store so my question is this. What should I do to the engine if I'm not going to run the engine for a number of months?

Wes
  #24   IP: 69.203.155.98
Old 04-08-2017, 12:49 AM
Afourian MVP

Good work Wes.

Your Atomic 4 will make a mechanic out of you yet. Mine has taught me quite a bit as has this forum.

I'm not sure that cheap and Caribbean are normally used in the same sentence but that is your lookout. As for storing your boat for several months unused in a warm climate I think the brain trust here could stand behind the following:
-top up fuel tank, add stabilizer. preferably non ethanol fuel.
-change oil. Oil changes with (most of) our engines without filters is recommended at around 100 hours. If you get to the Caribbean you will likely have surpassed that. I thnk that in warm climates 30W oil would be fine as well as 15-40W oil. I always use Rotella-T oil but there are other oils that have similar good characteristics. Check the API label to confirm (American Petroleum Institute - API).
-propbably couldn't hurt to fog the upper cyliners with Marvel Myster oil or SeaFoam or 2 cyl engine oil. It will smoke a bit more on startup but will protect parts from internal rusting.
-couldn't hurt to run fresh water through your cooling circuits. For extra protection run some anti-freeze (RV pink stuff) in there as a rust inhibitor.
-charge up and disconnect batteries from cables while not in use. Check water levels in battery cells and top up with distilled water as necessary. If you must, only leave automatic bilge pump attached to batteries. Would be nice to have a solar panel trickly charging the batteries in a sunny place like that.

Enjoy the trip.
Tartan 27 #328 owner born 1958
A4 and boat are from 1967

Last edited by CalebD; 04-08-2017 at 01:02 AM.
  #25   IP: 72.194.218.130
Old 04-08-2017, 10:21 AM

Leave the engine box or compartment as open as possible to enhance air circulation so rusting is held to a minimum.

TRUE GRIT